DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S with DJI Smart Controller

FYI, the stock controller and the Smart Controller are both Ocusync 2.

For the Air 2, people have noted a drop in difference between the stock controller and the Smart Controller. Some people claim it is worse with the new firmware (which would be all you could use on the A2s). I haven't tested yet.
The stock controller on the Air 2S is Ocusync 2 and not 3?

Instead of using "Connect". Try going directly to the Fly or Go app.
Binding, meaning one does not have to link each time the SC and Drone are started for the first flight?

I will give it a shot this weekend, sort of a pain connecting and syncing each time. I assume before starting the drone, after the SC is turned on I go directly into the Fly app on the SC?

The stock controller on the Air 2S is Ocusync 2 and not 3?

DJI seems to have changed their tune from when I wrote that original post. When the Air 2S came out, the written statement was that the controller used Ocusync 2 and the Drone used O3. Now that the Mavic 3 is out, DJI says that the remote will use the proper firmware for each drone and use that protocol.

Their updated statement is
When used with different aircraft hardware configurations, DJI RC-N1 Remote Controllers will automatically select the corresponding firmware version for updating and support the following transmission technologies enabled by the hardware performance of the linked aircraft models:
a. DJI Mini 2/ DJI Mavic Air 2: O2
b. DJI Air 2S: O3
c. DJI Mavic 3: O3+

DJI seems to have changed their tune from when I wrote that original post. When the Air 2S came out, the written statement was that the controller used Ocusync 2 and the Drone used O3. Now that the Mavic 3 is out, DJI says that the remote will use the proper firmware for each drone and use that protocol.

Their updated statement is
When used with different aircraft hardware configurations, DJI RC-N1 Remote Controllers will automatically select the corresponding firmware version for updating and support the following transmission technologies enabled by the hardware performance of the linked aircraft models:
a. DJI Mini 2/ DJI Mavic Air 2: O2
b. DJI Air 2S: O3
c. DJI Mavic 3: O3+
In May of 2021 DJI support told me the RC-N1 controller was O3 and the smart controller was O2. So I returned the smart controller.

Which is funny because in May of 2021, the FAQ on the website said the remote was 2 and could connect to aircraft that was 3.

Here is the exact language from then (earlier language specifically said the controller uses Ocusync 2).

The DJI Air 2S remote controller is integrated with OcuSync 2.0 video transmission technology, supporting aircraft using OcuSync 2.0 and O3 transmission. The max transmission distance may vary and is subject to the specific aircraft model connected with the remote controller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S