DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3S feature details revealed!

Droning on and on...

Reactions
Check out this article for all the juicy tidbits!

Some highlights:
  • Yes,that new front sensor on the nose is indeed LiDAR. Provides much higher detail OA on front.
  • The OA system has been enhanced to operate in much lower light conditions. A 15x improvement in sensitivity. From the article:
1000020188.jpg

Also, as expected, the main camera's getting a 1" sensor:

1000020190.jpg

A lot more detail in the article, check it out!

Absolutely good stuff, I am so looking forward to the Mavic 4 Pro with so many of these upgrades and more (hopefully). I see a few Air 3 drones going up for sale, I guess the word is getting out. :)

• Love
Reactions: projectarjun
That main camera on the Air 3S ,now back to a 1" sensor,but here is the issue it is a 12mp sensor with a 50mp setting.
The Air 2S even had an honest 20mp sensor on their 1" camera,so unless they have done some amazing trickery one more
time.I see it as another Air 3 with just a slightly larger main camera sensor.Do not care at all about the new technology on the
obstacle avoidance sensors,as I fly over water most of the time.The critics are surely going to question that 1" camera resolution
and for good reason.Just my opinion.

That main camera on the Air 3S ,now back to a 1" sensor,but here is the issue it is a 12mp sensor with a 50mp setting.
The Air 2S even had an honest 20mp sensor on their 1" camera,so unless they have done some amazing trickery one more
time.I see it as another Air 3 with just a slightly larger main camera sensor.Do not care at all about the new technology on the
obstacle avoidance sensors,as I fly over water most of the time.The critics are surely going to question that 1" camera resolution
and for good reason.Just my opinion.

I hear what you're saying, and I expect you'll disagree with me.

The criticism of quad-bayer sensor designs is starting to head into the realm of audiophile complaints over digital vs. analog when CDs first came out.

Can artifacts be found with focused examination, usually requiring pixel-peeping? Of course.

Audio artifacts like quantization noise, etc., can be found in digital audio encoding vs. analog, if you use a scope.

Then there's the real world. People don't buy music and view it on a scope. They listen to it. And overall, digital produces a superior result.

Quad-bayer sensors are here to stay. They provide the very useful flexibility of lower-resolution, high sensitivity for low light, and higher resolution for normal lighting.

Just as digital audio continually improved with more processing power, QB image processing is too.

My issue with DJI marketing is just because it's new it's better. I'm contemplating getting an Air 3S because of this.

But....will it be better than what I already have, the Mavic 3 Pro with a 4/3 CMOS. DJI makes it difficult to compare via specs.

Last edited:
But....will it be better than what I already have, the Mavic 3 Pro with a 4/3 CMOS. DJI makes hard to compare via specs.

No, I'd say. Camera is substantially superior with 4/3" sensor and variable aperture. Unless you need the low-light obstacle avoidance, there isn't really ant reason.

However if your a Big Boy with Toys like me, you have to get one. The fact I don't have a Mavic 3, and will be upgrading my Air 3 makes the sales job easier to my wife. 😁

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jameslee17