DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air actual range to expect

You should have no problem in a area like that.

The Air is pretty sensitive to interference from other equipment in the area. Open is good but if it has houses that all have wifi around it will reduce range.

OP's question was pretty specific. And the answer is an absolute YES! How much more would ofcourse depend on the location.

Yes the question was pretty specific, but specific questions sometimes lead to additional questions later.

While the Air might be ok to fly in an open field at 1200' we are trying to tell the OP that he cant expect much more than that on a regular basis if he chooses not to fly in an open field..

I have flown my Air 5000' with no issues in unpopulated areas (well there were a few houses). Might have gone further but that was about as far as I was willing to push it. If OP asks about flying in open fields, answers should be based on the assumption that it will be flown in open fields. I think the AIR gets some bad publicity around here is all.

PS: I am pretty defensive about my little puppy :D

Reactions: zzxrox
To most people "open field" would mean no obstructions aka not behind trees, buildings etc, not necessarily that there's nothing around at all.

I have flown my Air 5000' with no issues in unpopulated areas (well there were a few houses). Might have gone further but that was about as far as I was willing to push it. If OP asks about flying in open fields, answers should be based on the assumption that it will be flown in open fields. I think the AIR gets some bad publicity around here is all.

PS: I am pretty defensive about my little puppy :D

I think 3 people answered his question, and then offered additional input.

Its a great drone but every drone has its limitations. Wish it had Occusync, then there would never be an issue with range.

In open country (center-pivot ag land, zero wifi interference, launch from higher ground, no trees or nearby power lines), I can easily run my MA out to 7000' or more without loss of connection (indeed, continued good signals for both video & control). In my suburban neighborhood, I can get interference warnings barely 500' away. For the most part, I'm a strictly rural pilot so I don't really care about wifi interference. But I kinda don't think the Mavic Air is a great urban drone for exactly this reason. Doubtless others will have different opinions.

In open country (center-pivot ag land, zero wifi interference, launch from higher ground, no nearby power lines), I can easily run my MA out to 7000' or more without loss of connection (indeed, continued good signals for both video & control). In my suburban neighborhood, I can get interference warnings barely 500' away. For the most part, I'm a strictly rural pilot so I don't really care about wifi interference. But I kinda don't think the Mavic Air is a great urban drone for exactly this reason. Doubtless others will have different opinions.

Thats a good analysis and factual, based on my experience as well.

Would the mavic 2s range be worth the extra cost? I'm trying track cattle on about 400 acre area, there are trees in some areas.

Would the mavic 2s range be worth the extra cost? I'm trying track cattle on about 400 acre area, there are trees in some areas.

Not even the M2's range will not help you if you go far away and below treeline. If you stay above treeline, the M2 can go at least twice as far, in my experience. Occusync 2 is awesome.

Also, think about the other upgrades an M2 might offer and its your choice whether or not you can justify the price tag.
  1. Enhanced obstacle avoidance
  2. Quieter
  3. Faster
  4. More stable
  5. Longer battery life
If I were you and had the money to buy an M2, it would be a no brainer. I prefer the M2 Zoom because the Zoom is fun to fiddle with because Im not a great photographer and cant use all the functionality the M2P camera has to offer.

Last edited:
If you're not worried about the extra features for the M2 vs the M1 (namely Active Track 2.0 and no tilted horizon when yawing or turning) get the M1 and tweak it to use "FCC Boost", that's probably going to give you the best possible range at this time (FCC Boost is not available on the M2 AFAIK).

Reactions: Former Member
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000