DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air Map

hychewright

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I read this in Flying magazine today and thought it might be interesting for UAV pilots to know. Would be nice to have a discussion on this and what it could mean for the future of pilots with part 107.

With new backing from Microsoft Ventures, AirMap seeks to provide air traffic control for drones.

Anyone who offers up hard numbers for the drone population in the United States is merely guessing, especially since the FAA’s new Part 107 rule took effect last year. While the precise number isn’t really known, the trend is certainly clear: there will be more and more drones from now on. What worries people who operate airplanes, helicopters and other drones is how do we keep them from running into each other?

Enter Microsoft Ventures, part of the same family that married Windows to the PC. Microsoft’s corporate venture fund recently helped raise $26 million to turn a California start-up company, AirMap, into a software system to keep drones in their own airspace by allowing them to communicate with other aircraft.

The new system is called unmanned traffic management, or UTM. AirMap had already raised some $17 million before the recent cash infusion from Microsoft, as well as from companies such as Airbus Ventures, Sony and Qualcomm Ventures.

As more drones take flight, AirMap has been working on UTM technology to manage the logistics and safety demands of the industry. Supporting the technology are over 125 airports, including almost all major airports in the United States, that use AirMap’s airspace management dashboard to locate drones flying nearby.

A Microsoft spokesman said, “AirMap will play a pivotal role in shaping the future of the drone industry.”

The AirMap app works really well! I use the web app on my laptop for planning and the phone for pre-flight checking.
Very detailed restriction notifications.
It can also send digital flight notifications to my local airport when I am flying within 5 miles.

Reactions: hychewright
The AirMap app works really well! I use the web app on my laptop for planning and the phone for pre-flight checking.
Very detailed restriction notifications.
It can also send digital flight notifications to my local airport when I am flying within 5 miles.
Oh, so this is an app that is already out, that's great. I will have to look more into airmap. Thanks

Thanks for the info on AirMap and how we can use it with our Mavics for NFZ's.

Consult the map when flying new areas. It will have all the main info you will need to determine if your flight is allowed in a particular airspace.
You can download the app on your phone (if you have an iPad, switch the search to "iPhone Only" and it will show up.

AirMap for Drones on the App Store

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 9.53.48 AM☀️.png

Reactions: hychewright

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rustjan