DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air vs Pro need info to decide!

Thanks everyone, a lot of great input so far, can’t say you’ve made it any easier tho! Haha. Got a feeling it’ll come down to a fight between flight time and price for me.

The best way to go is to buy in Canada is direct from DJI. Shipping, Tax, and Duty is all included. If you are okay with white the Alpine Pro Bundle is a great deal since it comes with 3 batteries at $999 USD ($1300 CAD). Sometimes it goes on sale for a bit less too.

https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-pro-alpine-white-combo

Got a feeling it’ll come down to a fight between flight time and price for me.

The Pro has about 5 minutes more flight time than the Air. I just flew my air about a mile away... I'd say the real world usable (unmodified) range of the Air is right about 1 mile. But for me, the Air was the drone I could afford. I'm sure someday I'll add a Phantom. :)

Reactions: DTC709
I'm trying to decide between the two as well. Range isn't all that important to me (a mile will do just fine). I do like the Pro controller, flight time, and sound BUT everything I've seen suggests the Air is taking noticeably better video and stills due to the newer processor. That could be the 1 thing that puts me in the "Air" camp.

Reactions: tiparoch
I'm trying to decide between the two as well. Range isn't all that important to me (a mile will do just fine). I do like the Pro controller, flight time, and sound BUT everything I've seen suggests the Air is taking noticeably better video and stills due to the newer processor. That could be the 1 thing that puts me in the "Air" camp.

Yeah I hear you, every time I think I’m gettin my mind made up, I change it. The Pro Alpine white combo deal pushed me much closer to the Pro because of bang for the buck. Right now I’m going to have to see when that sale ends then see how it goes between now and then! Haha

Yup I hear you... The MPro controller really is great. DJI should at least make it optional ( the data screen). The M Air video is great. I love mine but still adore my MPro. I see another poster had camera trouble...my has been all over and no troubles. I don't envy your choice. If super easy portability and vid is an issue it might be the decider.

Yeah I hear you, every time I think I’m gettin my mind made up, I change it. The Pro Alpine white combo deal pushed me much closer to the Pro because of bang for the buck. Right now I’m going to have to see when that sale ends then see how it goes between now and then! Haha

One other thing just occurred to me... there is serious talk out there about a Mavic Pro 2 coming out before too long.... I have a feeling it might come out before say a Phantom 5... Maybe I should not have mentioned that :---)
Also in a previous post you mentioned going to a shop (Best Buy?) and actually looking at the real things... Very good idea... Or... buy both from Amazon and return the one you don't want...(quick before you get billed for both). :---)

One other thing just occurred to me... there is serious talk out there about a Mavic Pro 2 coming out before too long.... I have a feeling it might come out before say a Phantom 5... Maybe I should not have mentioned that :---)
Also in a previous post you mentioned going to a shop (Best Buy?) and actually looking at the real things... Very good idea... Or... buy both from Amazon and return the one you don't want...(quick before you get billed for both). :---)

Yeah, I’ve sized both up enough that I’m confident I’ll be fine bringing either with me anywhere I go, if I had a Air first I could see it being a issue but it’ll be what Im used to because Ill know nothing else so that should be fine.

And yeah I’ve read about the Pro 2, and no doubt it’s gunna have some wicket new features, but will probably top out over my price range. Only big thing would be that it launches a month or so after my purchase and drives the Pro’s price down considerably, but no point to worry about such things.

Reactions: tiparoch
Yeah, I’ve sized both up enough that I’m confident I’ll be fine bringing either with me anywhere I go, if I had a Air first I could see it being a issue but it’ll be what Im used to because Ill know nothing else so that should be fine.

And yeah I’ve read about the Pro 2, and no doubt it’s gunna have some wicket new features, but will probably top out over my price range. Only big thing would be that it launches a month or so after my purchase and drives the Pro’s price down considerably, but no point to worry about such things.

True true. You will really like either. Trust me either is more than enough fun for you for a long time. Somehow lm thinking pro for you.

Get the Air, it's cheaper, and has MOST the tech from the pro. The pro has better RC tech, that's about it. The air has more sensors too. Either one you won't regret.

I did fly side by side with a Phantom... and *that* was a significant difference. The Phantom is seriously cool tech, I could see regret not getting a P4, but no regret from not getting a MP. However, the P4 isn't exactly backpack friendly.

So in other words... just get the Air, and get the Red one, as it's scientifically proven to be faster.

Yeah back when I was cycling and packing, it would have been the MA just for the reason of how small the package is. Today I drive to where I want to fly. Places where I have limited line of sight, I keep my quad close by so the MA's range wouldn't bother me and the added sensors might be of value. The MP is great at distance which is nice for open range type flying and I do a lot of that. I've been actually thinking of grabbing a refurb MP as a backup. Hopefully we'll see the prices drop a bit if they come out with the MP-2.

I haven't been disappointed by the air, but I do know the pro has better specs. I'd consider a refurb from DJI for sure. Either one, you won't be disappointed. You're going to be amazed at flying these things.

But factor in that you will need at least 3 batteries to be happy. That's 2 more than they come with, or it's the price of the "fly more" package. So factor that in when you're figuring out what you can afford. :)

I will recommend getting a Kindle Fire HD8 refurb tablet for the screen. That cost me $30 on Woot, if you watch woot.com you can find one for cheap eventually. That will need a $10 tablet mount which you can get on Amazon or Ebay.

@dronerdave check out my footage from the Air:

IMHO, the reason to buy the Pro is battery range, quieter operation (Pro Platinum though), and RC tech (occusync). The controller telemetry that the Pro shows is available in-app anyway. But the Occusync tech is definitely worth the extra cash. You can also upgrade the Pro props to the Platninum props, although I'd just go for the Platinum for the full package. But with that said, after flying my Air in extreme conditions (see my other youtube videos), I haven't wished once that I had the Pro. I've flown in high winds, snowstorms, you name it. The air is fabuluous.

So it's just a matter of how much money do you want to spend. The Air is "good enough" and has enough of the Pro features at the Dad price point. You can spend more money if you have it, but the Air is enough to do anything you want to. In a few years the tech will be far superior and we'll all want the Mavic 3 or the Phantom 5.

True true. You will really like either. Trust me either is more than enough fun for you for a long time. Somehow lm thinking pro for you.

Yeah that’s forsure. Haha that’s where my heads currently at, need to just do it and be done with it!

But factor in that you will need at least 3 batteries to be happy. That's 2 more than they come with, or it's the price of the "fly more" package. So factor that in when you're figuring out what you can afford. :)

I will recommend getting a Kindle Fire HD8 refurb tablet for the screen. That cost me $30 on Woot, if you watch woot.com you can find one for cheap eventually. That will need a $10 tablet mount which you can get on Amazon or Ebay.

Yeah as for the batteries that’s why the alpine combo is so tempting, the Air with 1 extra battery from dji isn’t all that much less.

As for the Kindle, what’s the purpose, just to have a cheap dedicated tablet for the drone, or do you find it better in bright conditions as well where it’s a e-read type tablet?

As for the Kindle, what’s the purpose, just to have a cheap dedicated tablet for the drone, or do you find it better in bright conditions as well where it’s a e-read type tablet?

Not the kindle, but the kindle FIRE, which is an android tablet ****** up with Amazon's "enhancements". But you can load the app store and Dji Go on it-- and it's a FABULOUS screen. So yes, it's a dedicated tablet for the drone, it just happens to be SUPER CHEAP. I love it in all but the brightest sunlight, but if I'm packing light (backpacking, snowboarding, hiking) I'll just use my phone. I do like it for reading websites, but for the most part I just keep it charged and in my flight pack.

As noted, if you shop around long enough, you can make the price pretty close probably.

If you don't care about the size and are driving to your flights the Mavic Pro is probably the best bet with the extra range and flight time. If you care about size, the Air is close enough for many people to the functionality that you won't miss much. I went with the Air, as after a P3A, I really wanted something small to make sure I have around. I'm not bothered by the range, it is far enough for me. I wouldn't mind another couple of minutes of battery life, but it doesn't really seem to get in the way.

The reality is, the Mavic Air 2 needs Ocusync and the MP's controller with a screen to be just about perfect. Then the MP2 can get some more advanced features, more sensors, and maybe an improved camera to separate it from the Air(2).

@dronerdave check out my footage from the Air:

IMHO, the reason to buy the Pro is battery range, quieter operation (Pro Platinum though), and RC tech (occusync). The controller telemetry that the Pro shows is available in-app anyway. But the Occusync tech is definitely worth the extra cash. You can also upgrade the Pro props to the Platninum props, although I'd just go for the Platinum for the full package. But with that said, after flying my Air in extreme conditions (see my other youtube videos), I haven't wished once that I had the Pro. I've flown in high winds, snowstorms, you name it. The air is fabuluous.
Totally agree although at the time I only had the Spark, P4P or MP/MPP to choose from. I picked the MP solely on that most of the bugs had been worked out, the package size fit my needs, the battery time seemed reasonable, and there were a lot of aftermarket extras available. I fly my MP on average with about 5 batteries per outing. When I first bought it I never figured on flying at distances around 3000 to 4000 feet. That's not far but plenty w/i VLOS. Not saying the MA can't do that, I'm just happy how my MP/CS-UB setup works for me and that I have plenty of room to haul it plus all the extras. At times I wish I had a Phantom but all around the MP gives me a good enough camera. Plus the MP can be set up to be fairly compact if need be. I just can't spend the money for an extra compact quad like the Air when the pro is working out for me. Doesn't make sense to have a second model that requires different batteries, chargers, and controllers. As for the OP's question, it really depends on what he needs it to do. As a first purchase the MA might fit his needs. I'd love to see what's coming next from DJI but it will have to be a big jump in camera quality to turn my head.

Nice Video BTW. I took that route in 09 before I owned my MP :( My 4x4 blog would sure have more unique pics in it if I had a good camera drone back then. I do love the web site below and have let them use some of my pics from places I've been. (not the Loveland link but others)
Loveland Pass

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard