DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aircraft Antenna Mod

Any infos about remote side's 'RX only', 'RX/TX combo' port descriptions? (for using amp)

Modded controller. Before I'd get 3 bars HD signal, but it was more sensitive to interference.

The 4hawks antenna supports 5.8GHz as well according to specs which is important for spark. Would this cheaper version work with 5.8GHz?
I just pulled my Desert Strom out of retirement and mounted up for the Mavic. I have not had a chance to test them yet.
20180206_134436.jpg 20180206_134447.jpg 20180206_134453.jpg

Reactions: SkyNinja
Have you done any more flights with this setup? Would you say it's a good place for the board? Are there any heat issues? I'm thinking about attempting an install in the same place you did. Any tips on doing the install?
Works great, no heat issues, I think it's an excellent spot if you want a tidy install.
Protect the core board cable, notch the frame and mount the board with silicone. Strain relieve the cable attachment points.

Thanks. I will give it a shot. One question. I have a few of those 4w amps that I ripped the foil on when trying to get them out of metal housing they come in. Is there any way to use these? There are some copper/foil areas to the side of where the posts are soldered. Wondering if I can solder my leads there as the foil is gone from where the pin was connected.
I think the pads on each side are the grounds. You would need to join the center trace to the center of your cable

I started a new thread where I will post a series of mavic radio observation videos to have in a common place for radio related test results and reference material. This is not meant to replace this thread, just an FYI for you to find additional information on the topic:

Mavic Radio Mods Primer

Just came on this thread and read through and very interested in all the cool mods. But thought with 3D printers on the market these days why hasn't anyone built the Mavic larger to accommodate the modes? I think by taking the guts of the Mavic and inserting into a lager frame would help. (ie Mavic Pro 2) ;)

Just my 2 cents to the group. Enjoy......

Just came on this thread and read through and very interested in all the cool mods. But thought with 3D printers on the market these days why hasn't anyone built the Mavic larger to accommodate the modes? I think by taking the guts of the Mavic and inserting into a lager frame would help. (ie Mavic Pro 2) ;)

Just my 2 cents to the group. Enjoy......

You took the words from my mouth from 6 months ago :)

Just a follow up. I tried this mod with no homemade heat sync and with the amp rotated the long way (opposite orientation as you have it). I ended up frying the ESC board from heat.

I hadn't flown these in a while and tested them again tonight. They still rock it and extend range significantly. I ran these hard for 10 minutes straight out and the home made copper heat sink was very hot but still within reason when landing.

If anyone decides to modify the "Dragon" amp, you must employ some form of heat dissipation. What I show as an example is probably the very bare minimum in my estimation.

dronemods-2018-001.png dronemods-2018-002.png

Just a follow up. I tried this mod with no homemade heat sync and with the amp rotated the long way (opposite orientation as you have it). I ended up frying the ESC board from heat.
I have a completely stripped down mavic with basically the 2 main boards and the main body left. PM me if you want to make an offer for it. They are in perfect working order.

PS- this voids your warranty and significant soldering skills will be needed.

Reactions: Guest 45469
Had some spare parts and got a hair up my *** to mod some external antenna connectors. I have a half dozen different antenna types to test and compare against the factory antennas. And I have some circular polarization antennas on order and looking forward to those tests along side the Rexuav remote antenna. All these arrive next week and I will report back my findings.

View attachment 16741 View attachment 16742 View attachment 16743 View attachment 16744 View attachment 16745 View attachment 16746 View attachment 16747 View attachment 16748

Nice for post! I am learned here.. I see your all pics the bird 2 x antenna mod, How will works long flight miles? Off the stock antenna with mavic legs!

My mavic controller antennas, I try with this for my mavic - into bird 2 x antenna mod, works far long flight?
28336533_401014876977119_915568552562431556_o.jpg 28577863_401014073643866_420312483112169992_n.jpg

Reactions: lolo780
I have tried nearly every mod you could think of antenna and battery, on the P2,P3 and P4. Believe me, the P2 vision series, and the P3 standard requires modification on both ends. I have not found it to be the case even though I've tried, that light bridge on p3&4 benefit from any birdside modifications.
based on the fact that I have a screenshot of a great signal with stock Mavic controller and aircraft at 50,000 feet, something I could never do on any other DJI, I can't imagine a benefit of a birdside modification! That being said, your enthusiasm and curiosity Bubba is what keeps these threads alive, and I will be following along and wishing you safe returns. good luck and have fun brother[emoji41]
50,000 feet, was that altitude AGL?

50,000 feet, was that altitude AGL?

IMG_0186.JPG

This is nothing impressive other than it being stock rc/ac. Others have made it further, but I've never heard of 50,000 on other models without some antenna modifications. Too bad for the 59k limit restriction or I'd still be excited about this amazing mavic[emoji41]

Reactions: chazz
P4A and Mavic Platinum. The Platinum is my new favorite for every day flying. 1080p 60fps that actually works, 30+ min flight time and ready to go anywhere.

This new (to me) P4A may turn in to a long range project, but also waiting to see how the Mavic II looks. Slightly on topic, both the P4P and P4A have less than impressive signal compared to all my Mavics.

Will probably do aircraft side amps to help out.

G10wNtY.jpg

Reactions: dirtybum
The RX port is useless for long range runs. You can unplug it, remove it, disconnect anything attached to it (I think you get my point).

Here is a retweet from the other thread that describes the RX port function:

View attachment 27948

I will building soon, stock antenna left leg from HD/black wire (TX/RX) to booster signal, I reading what that RX port white wire (right leg) can unplug and remove it or keep plug?

View attachment 32680

This is nothing impressive other than it being stock rc/ac. Others have made it further, but I've never heard of 50,000 on other models without some antenna modifications. Too bad for the 59k limit restriction or I'd still be excited about this amazing mavic[emoji41]

DB, That’s pretty amazing stock, it must of had battery help though, unless it was a one way flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme