DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AirMap airspace gaps

coosbo

Reactions
Hello,

I'm wondering what the story is when there are gaps in the airspace tiles. In the picture included with this post you'll notice a few tiles that are missing and then everything else is class C airspace. In general, the tiles away from the airport has an automated authorization request for for 400 ft and below, tiles close to the airport has an automated authorization for 200-100 ft and below, and the tiles over the airfield requires FAA approval. This all makes sense. But what about the missing tiles? Does this mean that you don't need authorization to fly within those areas. Or does is mean you can't fly or even request authorization to fly within them? A couple of the missing tiles are close to the airport and one is inline with a runway approach.

1586369599055.png1586369599055.png

Hello,

I'm wondering what the story is when there are gaps in the airspace tiles. In the picture included with this post you'll notice a few tiles that are missing and then everything else is class C airspace. In general, the tiles away from the airport has an automated authorization request for for 400 ft and below, tiles close to the airport has an automated authorization for 200-100 ft and below, and the tiles over the airfield requires FAA approval. This all makes sense. But what about the missing tiles? Does this mean that you don't need authorization to fly within those areas. Or does is mean you can't fly or even request authorization to fly within them? A couple of the missing tiles are close to the airport and one is inline with a runway approach.

They had that problem with the space shuttle too, tiles kept falling off. Really expensive ones.
I think you can assume 0 for those areas but its an airmap bug someone will have to mention to them.
If you don't have a dji drone, I wonder how the whole automated authorization works. I want to control what my drone does, not rely on dji's system to "protect" me.

Does this mean i can fly above my house up to 200 feet even though I'm within 5 miles of an airport? Do I need to notify anyone or register it also first? I just got my mavic air.

Attachments

• received_680612449366980.jpeg
    received_680612449366980.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 5
Does this mean i can fly above my house up to 200 feet even though I'm within 5 miles of an airport? Do I need to notify anyone or register it also first? I just got my mavic air.
The 200 feet is the altitude that normally will be approved through the LAANC procedure. But it is not automatic. You absolutely cannot fly there or anywhere else in controlled airspace unless you have authorization through LAANC or the Drone Zone.

The 200 feet is the altitude that normally will be approved through the LAANC procedure. But it is not automatic. You absolutely cannot fly there or anywhere else in controlled airspace unless you have authorization through LAANC or the Drone Zone.
Oh ok. What is LAANC? How does it work? So basically I can't fly within any color circle unless approved, correct? Anywhere in white/no circle im good to go without any clearance?

Oh ok. What is LAANC? How does it work? So basically I can't fly within any color circle unless approved, correct? Anywhere in white/no circle im good to go without any clearance?
You can read about LAANC here: UAS Data Exchange (LAANC)
Airspace and drone regulations are pretty complicated, but its important to understand them before you start flying.
I don't have a good source for recreational drone regulations, but you might start with this FAA study guide for Part 107 flyers, which is commercial users. The basic regulations, I think, are pretty similar, and airspace and weather are the same: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf
Perhaps someone else can chime in with another recreational study guide.

Reactions: Ztopgun28
You can read about LAANC here: UAS Data Exchange (LAANC)
Airspace and drone regulations are pretty complicated, but its important to understand them before you start flying.
I don't have a good source for recreational drone regulations, but you might start with this FAA study guide for Part 107 flyers, which is commercial users. The basic regulations, I think, are pretty similar, and airspace and weather are the same: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf
Perhaps someone else can chime in with another recreational study guide.
Recreational rules are exactly like Part 107 rules. The only difference is we cannot make money from our flights. Everything else is the same including authorizations and some limited waivers.

Reactions: Ztopgun28
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143