DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AirMap app for Part 101E (Fly for Fun)

Rafiky

Reactions
I’ve seen a videos in YouTube about using the AirMap app to request authorization to fly under FAA Part 107. Nothing in how to use the app under Part 101E for hobbyist. I have submitted several requests to fly in a class D are and get nothing. Does anyone know the process? Or am I missing something?

Everything the FAA wants you to know about drone flying (this should have been your first search for flight info).

Getting Started

Reactions: Rafiky
Everything the FAA wants you to know about drone flying (this should have been your first search for flight info).

Getting Started
Thank you for your quick response. I’ve done all this, read everything in the FAA page and registered my drone.

My question is about the AirMap specifically since they claim is all you need. If it is not, then what should I do to be able to fly in a class D area? I just want to know the procedure. Where can I find an “articulated” process to follow and be in compliance. I can’t find a coherent explanation anywhere.

Thank you, so hobbyists can fly without authorization? Or, is there another process to be followed?

It's confusing right now, because of the new laws passed by Congress last year. However, at present, and despite the lack of accurate information on the FAA website, 14 CFR Part 101 subpart E still applies - you are simply required to notify airports within 5 miles.

Reactions: DrDrew3 and tleedom
Air Map only provides guidance for hobbyists at this time (as Sar stated).

Flying as a hobbyist you need to notify (not ask permission) the airport/airfield you are near. Some larger airports have emails specifically to do this. Look up the airport operations (don't call the tower) number and they will tell you the point of contact/process for their airport.

As a hobbyist you need to notify the airfields within 5 miles of your flight path. As stated do not call the Tower but the airport manager and they will direct you to the right channels of people to talk to or handle it themselves, especially when applying to a non-towered airport.

One thing I noticed around me is a ton of non-towered airports which is one of the reasons I went for my 107 so I didn't have to notify 5 non-towered airports every time I wanted to fly drone in my backyard on top of any commercial aspect use of the drone to come

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrantleyB