DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Airplane nearby" How does it know

We see more near misses between CAR 3 aircraft than CAR 4a.
That really doesn't tell me anything. Presumably there are more CAR 3 aircraft, than CAR 4a. Thus there are more near misses between them?

Again, you're implying that CAR 4a "sees" less near misses. Are you saying there actually are less near misses, or are you saying there may actually be just as many near misses but you just don't count them because you failed to see them?

Also, I don't still don't actually know what CAR 3 versus CAR 4a means. Are CAR 3 all equipped with ADS-B and/or other traffic conflict detection systems?

Note though that CAR 4a pilots are far more willing to share airspace with drones than are CAR 3 pilots. And far less likely to run over you. We and the ag pilots spend a lot of time down there amongst you. We know you are there and keep an eye out.
Do CAR 3 pilots not know we are there? I don't understand what you're saying.

To date, how many CAR 4a aircraft have struck a UAV?
How am I supposed to know that when I don't even know what CAR 4a means? How about you tell me how many CAR 4a aircraft have ever struck or been struck by another aircraft?

Here in Canada, I can tell you that there are three (3) recorded instances of a UAV striking an aircraft. The first of those three was never definitively proven to involve a UAV as we have only the pilot's opinion that it was a drone rather than a seagull or anything else. You can read the reports of all three at these links.
  1. Quebec City, 12 Oct 2017.
  2. RCMP drone vs RCMP helicopter. This one is a bit special as it appears to have been kept a bit hush-hush, being a covert police action and all. The collision occurred on 6 Feb 2020, but the incident didn't appear in the Civil Aviation Daily Occurrence Reporting System (CADORS) until four months later on 3 June 2020. That brief CADORS report can be seen here, and it cites a TRB incident occurrence number of A20P0019, but I can't seem to find that number anywhere in the Transportation Safety Board searches.
  3. Toronto/Buttonville Airport, 10 Aug 2021
Are you sincerely asking this question because you don't know and you're really looking to understand why,
Yes.
Because it makes no sense at all to invest all this effort at imposing complicated regulations and Remote ID on a branch of aviation that has killed nobody, whereas there are alarming numbers of fatalities in the General Aviation branch needing to be addressed rather than accepted as perfectly normal.

or is this just a rhetorical question you're tossing out to just blow off steam because you're pissed off at having to follow rules and regulations?
Thankfully I am Canadian, and not (yet) burdened by your Remote ID nonsense. We have our own rules and regulations, some of which are similarly nonsensical, but which I must abide by to continue flying model aircraft and drones.

Only two of your Canadian examples were visible in your post, but neither of those was CAR 4a. Sounds like CAR4a aircraft aren't a threat in Canada.
You say, "Also, I don't still don't actually know what CAR 3 versus CAR 4a means. Are CAR 3 all equipped with ADS-B and/or other traffic conflict detection systems?"

I respectfully suggest doing a little homework before discussing it. As just a few reasons why CAR 4a aircraft owners might resist you:
Many are powered by Continental -8 engines. There is no way to install an engine driven electrical system on these engines, so they would need to be swapped out for a -12 engine that is also allowed by the Type Certificate. Changing out engines is not inexpensive in Certified aircraft.
Depending on the engine, the prop may have to be swapped out as well. That's not cheap either.
Once an engine driven electrical system has been installed on a CAR 4a plane, it is permanently devalued by thousands of dollars even if the engine driven system is later removed (those pesky regs again).

On many CAR 4a aircraft, adding an engine driven electrical system has the unintended impact of preventing them from carrying a passenger.

Is it really your intent to force these changes on antique aircraft that don't appear to be a threat?

Last edited:
Why are model airplanes or "drones" flown in your own backyard considered to be so much greater a danger that the FAA requires them to broadcast Remote ID, but manned aircraft are not all required to do so?

Are you sincerely asking this question because you don't know and you're really looking to understand why, or is this just a rhetorical question you're tossing out to just blow off steam because you're pissed off at having to follow rules and regulations?

The answer is not complicated nor any great mystery.

OK, I'll give you my opinion on "why."

The short version: It's not the drone or the airplane. It's the operators. You, me, and the other guys. The FAA has developed some level of trust with crewed aircraft operators. They have less trust of drone operators. So they are on a shorter "leash." Unfortunately, the relative trust levels are entirely justified, IMHO (though inconvenient and sometimes frustrating). Sorry, I know you don't want to hear that. It's still true.

The longer version: It's not so much because of the equipment (crewed aircraft versus drones). It's primarily because of the repeatedly demonstrated behavior of the people operating them.

Those operating crewed aircraft and those operating drones are very different in many fundamental and critical ways. I'll name just a few.

Pilots operating crewed aircraft have a lot of skin in the game - both literally and figuratively (this has been stated here before, but it's important). Screw up big in your airplane, game over - there's a good chance you'll die. Even if you survive, the financial/career consequences can be devastating and life-changing. That tends to make most folks pretty cautious. The FAA sees this reflected in behavior every day.

Screw up big with your drone, you go on Amazon and click three times, a new drone is on its way, play again tomorrow, no big deal. The FAA knows this too.

Qualifying for a (crewed) aircraft pilot license is a major undertaking, requiring sometimes many years of training and continuous effort (even for the most basic Private Pilot rating, never mind Commercial, Instrument, Air Transport, etc.) - people invest decades of their lives and tens of thousands of dollars to achieve those. With that much at stake, people tend to take things v-e-r-y seriously. So they follow the rules.

Qualifying to be a drone pilot requires...maybe having a valid credit card or saving up a few hundred bucks.

Scoff at that if you want (many here will), the investment, and potential loss of your airman privileges is a powerful motivator for licensed pilots to follow ALL the rules, or at least to appear to be following all the rules as much as you possibly can. Drone pilots behave...well, see YouTube.

There's also what I'll call "demonstrated behavior" and airmanship (sometimes ascribed to a combination of character and professionalism).

The FAA has well over half a century of experience overseeing and "managing" pilots of crewed aircraft. They are very much "old school" in so many ways, which can certainly be frustrating and at times difficult to believe (I could tell you lots of stories...), but that inertia and lived experience (which has informed their way of doing things) is also a great benefit - though I'll admit it sometimes does not feel that way.

The FAA knows how pilots of crewed aircraft behave (and how they occasionally misbehave). They have recently been learning about how drone pilots behave, too...and we (drone pilots in general) do not have a good record.

For sure, many drone pilots are responsible, careful, trustworthy, and follow every rule. Unfortunately, many are not, and some of them openly brag about how they won't be following the rules. People post right here every day how they're not going to follow the rules (and here on this forum we have about as responsible a bunch of drone pilots as you will ever find anywhere). Go look elsewhere (YouTube, social media, etc.) you'll see people proudly breaking every rule, bragging about it, confessing they plan to continue doing so, screw the guvmint', don't tread on me, and more.

You just don't see that same kind of open, brazen contempt for rules and regs among crewed pilots (generally speaking). They have way too much to lose.

There's also a completely different attitude about safety culture, responsibility, and toeing the line (for sure, some pilots will grouse endlessly about rules, but you don't see/hear them declaring "screw your rules, your rules don't apply to me"). You might speculate that this is all just a front to look nice for the FAA, but generally I don't think that's the case. Even pilots who might have lots of contempt for government agencies tend to follow the FAA's dictates to the letter, if grudgingly (I know plenty of guys like that).

I think there's also a generational/cultural divide. I'm an old guy, I learned to fly airplanes a long, long time ago. I was literally a kid (9 or 10 years old) when I had my first flying lesson - had to sit on multiple pillows and seat cushions to see out the windshield ahead. Many of the aviation people I was around, some of whom would become my flight instructors, were military veterans (some were WWII pilots with combat experience). The first things they taught me really had nothing to do with flying. They stressed integrity, honesty, "doing the right thing" and other stuff before we ever got close to an airplane. You did not lie, cheat or (heaven forbid) steal. You were expected to conduct yourself as a gentleman. Trust was drilled into me. I was told that countless lives would be in my hands (it was assumed I would go on to become an airline pilot, just because others around me were). With all that responsibility came a duty. You tell the truth, always, even when nobody is looking and you would never get caught. The rules are there for a reason, they apply to you, and so on. Now, I did not grow up a completely blind automaton, always respecting my elders and every authority (well, not for long...I grew up). But the stuff about integrity and responsibility and safety stuck with me. And I saw it (and still do) in other pilots (and I see it here, in fact).

In today's society, I think this kind of talk must sound like someone from another planet. Of course, everybody lies, cheats, cuts corners, fakes it, breaks rules. That's how society is today. So when someone buys a drone, many are shocked to discover that they need to take a knowledge test, register, and - good god! - follow a whole bunch of PITA rules!? Wadda ya mean, I can't fly my drone here? You know.

Now, of course, not all drone owners are like that. Many are real "eagle scouts" who do their best to follow every rule. But there are enough idiots out there who don't and won't (and even are proud of that).

We all suffer because of them. Those who refuse to behave responsibly and instead act like spoiled 4-year olds ruin it for the rest of us. The FAA has seen enough irresponsible drone owners to crank up more regulations as a response to the more problematic users. They have a regulatory "dial" they can turn; it's currently set to, I dunno, maybe "4" or "5". It could go higher. I hope it doesn't but I suspect it will. You can bet it will if people continue to do stupid things.

"But I'm trying to follow all the rules, I'm not one of those irresponsible guys." Good, thank you. Please continue to, and try and get some of the irresponsible people to understand that we need them to behave too, if we all want to be able to fly anywhere going forward.

Grouse about the regulations if you must. Try not to inflame the "your rules stink and they don't apply to me!" crowd.

I'm sure things are more or less the same in Canada (except you're all just a bit more polite aboot it, eh?). We Stand On Guard For Thee, too, friend. Blue skies and tailwinds.

Aerophile is pretty much spot on. I'm old too (80), and that likely has some impact on our thinking. For me, learning to fly wasn't expensive. In 1965 my foster brother (older than me) called me my senior year in College to tell me, "Jimmy, come home quick as you can. My cousin got his instructor's rating, and you and me are going to buy an airplane and learn to fly".

So we bought a 1946 Piper J3C (Certified under CAR 4a) for and did exactly that. The plane cost $1360 and burned 4.3 gallons per hour of avgas at 43 cents per gallon. Instruction was free. The City and County waived hangar and tie-down rent because of Search and Rescue work we did for the Sheriff's Department. I've had many hours of instruction since then, but it has always been free as well.

I think some of the Federal regulations are ridiculous, but they are what they are and penalties for violating them can be draconian. That said, all of my interactions with the Feds have been positive so far - as individuals, they really do try to help.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
That really doesn't tell me anything. Presumably there are more CAR 3 aircraft, than CAR 4a. Thus there are more near misses between them?

Again, you're implying that CAR 4a "sees" less near misses. Are you saying there actually are less near misses, or are you saying there may actually be just as many near misses but you just don't count them because you failed to see them?

Also, I don't still don't actually know what CAR 3 versus CAR 4a means. Are CAR 3 all equipped with ADS-B and/or other traffic conflict detection systems?

Do CAR 3 pilots not know we are there? I don't understand what you're saying.

How am I supposed to know that when I don't even know what CAR 4a means? How about you tell me how many CAR 4a aircraft have ever struck or been struck by another aircraft?

Here in Canada, I can tell you that there are three (3) recorded instances of a UAV striking an aircraft. The first of those three was never definitively proven to involve a UAV as we have only the pilot's opinion that it was a drone rather than a seagull or anything else. You can read the reports of all three at these links.
  1. Quebec City, 12 Oct 2017.
  2. RCMP drone vs RCMP helicopter. This one is a bit special as it appears to have been kept a bit hush-hush, being a covert police action and all. The collision occurred on 6 Feb 2020, but the incident didn't appear in the Civil Aviation Daily Occurrence Reporting System (CADORS) until four months later on 3 June 2020. That brief CADORS report can be seen here, and it cites a TRB incident occurrence number of A20P0019, but I can't seem to find that number anywhere in the Transportation Safety Board searches.
  3. Toronto/Buttonville Airport, 10 Aug 2021

Yes.
Because it makes no sense at all to invest all this effort at imposing complicated regulations and Remote ID on a branch of aviation that has killed nobody, whereas there are alarming numbers of fatalities in the General Aviation branch needing to be addressed rather than accepted as perfectly normal.

Thankfully I am Canadian, and not (yet) burdened by your Remote ID nonsense. We have our own rules and regulations, some of which are similarly nonsensical, but which I must abide by to continue flying model aircraft and drones.
Here's a very short history to help you understand where CAR comes from: Civil Air Regulations (CAR)
Think "small" aircraft for 3, and "large" aircraft for 4a.
Also, I am very much in favor of remote ID. Much like I'm in favor of license plates for cars.

OK, I'll give you my opinion on "why."

The short version: It's not the drone or the airplane. It's the operators. You, me, and the other guys. The FAA has developed some level of trust with crewed aircraft operators. They have less trust of drone operators. So they are on a shorter "leash." Unfortunately, the relative trust levels are entirely justified, IMHO (though inconvenient and sometimes frustrating). Sorry, I know you don't want to hear that. It's still true.

The longer version: It's not so much because of the equipment (crewed aircraft versus drones). It's primarily because of the repeatedly demonstrated behavior of the people operating them.

Those operating crewed aircraft and those operating drones are very different in many fundamental and critical ways. I'll name just a few.

Pilots operating crewed aircraft have a lot of skin in the game - both literally and figuratively (this has been stated here before, but it's important). Screw up big in your airplane, game over - there's a good chance you'll die. Even if you survive, the financial/career consequences can be devastating and life-changing. That tends to make most folks pretty cautious. The FAA sees this reflected in behavior every day.

Screw up big with your drone, you go on Amazon and click three times, a new drone is on its way, play again tomorrow, no big deal. The FAA knows this too.

Qualifying for a (crewed) aircraft pilot license is a major undertaking, requiring sometimes many years of training and continuous effort (even for the most basic Private Pilot rating, never mind Commercial, Instrument, Air Transport, etc.) - people invest decades of their lives and tens of thousands of dollars to achieve those. With that much at stake, people tend to take things v-e-r-y seriously. So they follow the rules.

Qualifying to be a drone pilot requires...maybe having a valid credit card or saving up a few hundred bucks.

Scoff at that if you want (many here will), the investment, and potential loss of your airman privileges is a powerful motivator for licensed pilots to follow ALL the rules, or at least to appear to be following all the rules as much as you possibly can. Drone pilots behave...well, see YouTube.

There's also what I'll call "demonstrated behavior" and airmanship (sometimes ascribed to a combination of character and professionalism).

The FAA has well over half a century of experience overseeing and "managing" pilots of crewed aircraft. They are very much "old school" in so many ways, which can certainly be frustrating and at times difficult to believe (I could tell you lots of stories...), but that inertia and lived experience (which has informed their way of doing things) is also a great benefit - though I'll admit it sometimes does not feel that way.

The FAA knows how pilots of crewed aircraft behave (and how they occasionally misbehave). They have recently been learning about how drone pilots behave, too...and we (drone pilots in general) do not have a good record.

For sure, many drone pilots are responsible, careful, trustworthy, and follow every rule. Unfortunately, many are not, and some of them openly brag about how they won't be following the rules. People post right here every day how they're not going to follow the rules (and here on this forum we have about as responsible a bunch of drone pilots as you will ever find anywhere). Go look elsewhere (YouTube, social media, etc.) you'll see people proudly breaking every rule, bragging about it, confessing they plan to continue doing so, screw the guvmint', don't tread on me, and more.

You just don't see that same kind of open, brazen contempt for rules and regs among crewed pilots (generally speaking). They have way too much to lose.

There's also a completely different attitude about safety culture, responsibility, and toeing the line (for sure, some pilots will grouse endlessly about rules, but you don't see/hear them declaring "screw your rules, your rules don't apply to me"). You might speculate that this is all just a front to look nice for the FAA, but generally I don't think that's the case. Even pilots who might have lots of contempt for government agencies tend to follow the FAA's dictates to the letter, if grudgingly (I know plenty of guys like that).

I think there's also a generational/cultural divide. I'm an old guy, I learned to fly airplanes a long, long time ago. I was literally a kid (9 or 10 years old) when I had my first flying lesson - had to sit on multiple pillows and seat cushions to see out the windshield ahead. Many of the aviation people I was around, some of whom would become my flight instructors, were military veterans (some were WWII pilots with combat experience). The first things they taught me really had nothing to do with flying. They stressed integrity, honesty, "doing the right thing" and other stuff before we ever got close to an airplane. You did not lie, cheat or (heaven forbid) steal. You were expected to conduct yourself as a gentleman. Trust was drilled into me. I was told that countless lives would be in my hands (it was assumed I would go on to become an airline pilot, just because others around me were). With all that responsibility came a duty. You tell the truth, always, even when nobody is looking and you would never get caught. The rules are there for a reason, they apply to you, and so on. Now, I did not grow up a completely blind automaton, always respecting my elders and every authority (well, not for long...I grew up). But the stuff about integrity and responsibility and safety stuck with me. And I saw it (and still do) in other pilots (and I see it here, in fact).

In today's society, I think this kind of talk must sound like someone from another planet. Of course, everybody lies, cheats, cuts corners, fakes it, breaks rules. That's how society is today. So when someone buys a drone, many are shocked to discover that they need to take a knowledge test, register, and - good god! - follow a whole bunch of PITA rules!? Wadda ya mean, I can't fly my drone here? You know.

Now, of course, not all drone owners are like that. Many are real "eagle scouts" who do their best to follow every rule. But there are enough idiots out there who don't and won't (and even are proud of that).

We all suffer because of them. Those who refuse to behave responsibly and instead act like spoiled 4-year olds ruin it for the rest of us. The FAA has seen enough irresponsible drone owners to crank up more regulations as a response to the more problematic users. They have a regulatory "dial" they can turn; it's currently set to, I dunno, maybe "4" or "5". It could go higher. I hope it doesn't but I suspect it will. You can bet it will if people continue to do stupid things.

"But I'm trying to follow all the rules, I'm not one of those irresponsible guys." Good, thank you. Please continue to, and try and get some of the irresponsible people to understand that we need them to behave too, if we all want to be able to fly anywhere going forward.

Grouse about the regulations if you must. Try not to inflame the "your rules stink and they don't apply to me!" crowd.

I'm sure things are more or less the same in Canada (except you're all just a bit more polite aboot it, eh?). We Stand On Guard For Thee, too, friend. Blue skies and tailwinds.
That was SO well written! You're lying about your age though (24). 😜

Reactions: Dronecation
The difference in CAR 3 and CAR 4a is date of original Certification of the aircraft. CAR 4a predates CAR 3. Both CARs have been superceded by the FARs, with the exception that the original CARs still govern Certification.

The 4a referenced in an earlier Post with regard to large aircraft has nothing to do with this.

Aerophile is pretty much spot on. I'm old too (80), and that likely has some impact on our thinking. For me, learning to fly wasn't expensive. In 1965 my foster brother (older than me) called me my senior year in College to tell me, "Jimmy, come home quick as you can. My cousin got his instructor's rating, and you and me are going to buy an airplane and learn to fly".

So we bought a 1946 Piper J3C (Certified under CAR 4a) for and did exactly that. The plane cost $1360 and burned 4.3 gallons per hour of avgas at 43 cents per gallon. Instruction was free. The City and County waived hangar and tie-down rent because of Search and Rescue work we did for the Sheriff's Department. I've had many hours of instruction since then, but it has always been free as well.

I think some of the Federal regulations are ridiculous, but they are what they are and penalties for violating them can be draconian. That said, all of my interactions with the Feds have been positive so far - as individuals, they really do try to help.
Yes, I'm a bit younger but in 1977 I could fly a Lake Buccaneer for $42/hr wet, and Citabria for $12/hr wet.

This was at the Navy New Orleans Flying Club at the N.A.S. in Belle Chasse, LA.

And I used my GI Bill to get my commercial, instrument, CFI, CFII, and Seaplane ratings. Got my multiengine on my own.

Last edited by a moderator:
The difference in CAR 3 and CAR 4a is date of original Certification of the aircraft. CAR 4a predates CAR 3. Both CARs have been superceded by the FARs, with the exception that the original CARs still govern Certification.

The 4a referenced in an earlier Post with regard to large aircraft has nothing to do with this.
"Initially, this regulation was the basis for establishing the design requirements for virtually all produced aircraft in the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s. Eventually CAR 3 evolved as the regulatory material specific to small aircraft,and CAR 4a and b focused on regulatory requirements for large aircraft."
From Here

In point of fact around here (North Pole, Alaska) not many of the aircraft use that transponder. Of course all the commercial planes do but it seems most of the little guys don‘t and there are a LOT of small planes. There is a grass landing strip right down the street from us and two others within 5 miles. I hear planes nearby quite often and don’t get that warning. There is an app and web site, flightradar24.com that will show you planes all around the world that have transponders in use. It’s quite fascinating.
North Pole, AK. Now that brings back a few memories. Spent a few days there in the early 80's with newly acquainted falconer that resided there looking for Goshawk nests. Can't quite recall his name now but wonder if he is still around. He was quite an accomplished photographer.

Stay on topic

In point of fact around here (North Pole, Alaska) not many of the aircraft use that transponder. Of course all the commercial planes do but it seems most of the little guys don‘t and there are a LOT of small planes. There is a grass landing strip right down the street from us and two others within 5 miles. I hear planes nearby quite often and don’t get that warning. There is an app and web site, flightradar24.com that will show you planes all around the world that have transponders in use. It’s quite fascinating.
I hear there are more pilots licenses than drivers licenses in Alaska.

I hear there are more pilots licenses than drivers licenses in Alaska.
Ha hah…seems like it sometimes. I think we do have more pilots per person than any state.

Reactions: Aerophile
I was flying yesterday and a notice popped up on the screen "Aircraft nearby be careful" (or something like that). How does it know that? About the same time, I heard a small plane, so it clearly is accurate.

Info: I'm in the country, and there is a very small airport nearby (about 5 miles). No control tower, very little traffic (less than 3-5 landings a day, if that many).

I'm asking out of curiosity only, just wondering how it knows an airplane is nearby. I did a search, but couldn't find this answered.
Look up how ADS-B works on Youtube

I'll confess, I don't know CAR 4a is. But I'll assume it has something to do with antique aircraft not equipped with any electric power to drive avionics like ASD-B. Am I close?

Why should it be considered safe for those things to putter around in the National Airspace with no electronic conspicuity devices, putting lives at risk while mixing it up with other air traffic? Please tell me they're not actually allowed to fly at night without nav lights.

Why are model airplanes or "drones" flown in your own backyard considered to be so much greater a danger that the FAA requires them to broadcast Remote ID, but manned aircraft are not all required to do so?

You'll tell me that antique aircraft are grandfathered in. Modern safety regulations don't need to apply because...., um, well just because. They didn't apply at the time these aircraft were built, so why should they be required to upgrade now? Or you'll tell me pilots of antique aircraft are more attentive to their surroundings because, "they have skin in the game".

Once again. Antique planes are allowed to fly with no electronic conspiquity devices like ADS-B, not even a radio to communicate with other air traffic in the busy pattern, and that's considered acceptable because those pilots have "skin in the game" and are trained to "see and avoid", but still get killed.

Meanwhile much safer model airplanes and drones are seen as a far greater threat and thus need to broadcast Remote ID. FAA needs to get their priorities straight.

"But I'll assume it has something to do with antique aircraft not equipped with any electric power to drive avionics like ASD-B. Am I close?"

You're half right. If they have ever had engine driven electrical systems added, then they are required to install and continue to carry the avionics even if the engine driven systems were later removed.

In that video, the narrator Juan Browne's ignorance is showing through. He says one of the planes was a 180hp Cherokee. It wasn't. It wasn't a Cherokee and it came from the factory with a 160hp engine.

He assumes the J3C was non-electric without radio and prattles on about that even though interior video of Jack Brown's J3C seaplanes shows their radio equipment. He also seems to assume O-200 engines while I think most of Jack Brown's J3Cs are powered by C-90 or C-85 engines.

Seems to me this guy may be letting his agenda overpower his knowledge.

Last edited:
In that video, the narrator Juan Browne's ignorance is showing through. [...] Seems to me this guy may be letting his agenda overpower his knowledge.
I'm not sure why you would say that, or what you think Juan's "agenda" might be.

Juan is usually very careful to admit when he's only guessing about something. In fact, in this video he clearly asks for clarification from anyone who knows better what the actual circuit procedures are at this airport, and asks whether the Piper Cubs are indeed still non-electric and whether, "you still gotta hand-prop them" to get the engine started.

He says one of the planes was a 180hp Cherokee. It wasn't. It wasn't a Cherokee and it came from the factory with a 160hp engine.
It wasn't a Cherokee? Huh?

Juan Browne's videos always contain links in the video description with references to his information sources. In this case, all the links and media reports say the other plane was a Piper Cherokee.

Back when I was still flying, our club aircraft were Piper Cherokees and Warriors, and Cessna 150 and 172. I'll freely admit I haven't a clue what horsepower any of those engines produced in those planes. Whether this Cherokee that collided with the Piper Cub had a 160hp or 180hp engine is really not a particularly relevant detail, is it?

He assumes the J3C was non-electric without radio and prattles on about that even though interior video of Jack Brown's J3C seaplanes shows their radio equipment. He also seems to assume O-200 engines while I think most of Jack Brown's J3Cs are powered by C-90 or C-85 engines.
Can you point to an interior video showing radio equipment?

In the comment section below Juan Browne's video, several people mention that the headsets worn by the instructor and student are for intercom solely so they can hear each other talk. There is no radio.

This video posted two years ago, and featured on Jack Brown's Seaplane homepage, starting at 2:19 explains the Piper Cub has no electrics, no radio, no transponder, etc.

And this video, posted just 2 months ago, shows the Cub is indeed still being "hand-propped" to start the engine.

However, comparing the photos on Jack Brown's webpage, it looks like the Cubs have different panel layouts and one does have an electric "Push to Start" starter motor.
Starter.jpg

Regardless, clearly neither Cub is fitted with ADS-B, nor does the FAA require them. They rely entirely on "see-and-avoid" to prevent midair collisions, which in this case tragically didn't work.

My point, again, is why is it a higher priority for remotely piloted aircraft like drones to be equipped with conspicuity devices like Remote ID, when statistically much more lethal manned aircraft are not equally required?

Recent DJI models come equipped with ADS-B receivers to provide warning to drone pilots of potential conflicts with manned aircraft, yet manned aircraft are not all required to carry ADS-B transmitters. Instead, drones are required to broadcast Remote ID, which manned aircraft won't be able to receive unless the pilot is carrying (and constantly monitoring) a smartphone. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Remote ID has nothing to do with aviation safety. It's purely a ground-based Karen system to more easily identify people who fly their drones into sensitive or restricted areas. Except anyone who chooses to deliberately fly their drone into such areas surely won't first fit a Remote ID module to their drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54