DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AirSense vs Flightradar24

swooshdave

Reactions
Both use ADS-B but obviously AirSense is more limited. What is the actual range of ADS-B and how exactly does Flightradar24 work?

The reason I ask is that I will get warnings on AirSense and then go check Flightradar24 and not see anything. Conversely I will see planes on Flightradar24 but they don't show up on AirSense. I'm aware the AirSense has different filters as to what to display and different range but I'm taking about planes I can see or hear that won't display.

Thoughts?

Never been very confident about the 'real time' tracking of Flightradat 24, or similar apps. I don't think I've ever had a situation where a commercial a/c is going overhead me and it shows on the app at the same time. And I've had that app and similar ones for a long time.

Never been very confident about the 'real time' tracking of Flightradat 24, or similar apps. I don't think I've ever had a situation where a commercial a/c is going overhead me and it shows on the app at the same time. And I've had that app and similar ones for a long time.

I've had pretty good experiences with Flightradar24, with a few exceptions. I can hear or see a plane and pull out the app and find it.

Reactions: Gindra
Both use ADS-B but obviously AirSense is more limited. What is the actual range of ADS-B and how exactly does Flightradar24 work?

The reason I ask is that I will get warnings on AirSense and then go check Flightradar24 and not see anything. Conversely I will see planes on Flightradar24 but they don't show up on AirSense. I'm aware the AirSense has different filters as to what to display and different range but I'm taking about planes I can see or hear that won't display.

Thoughts?

Airsense uses an ADS-B receiver on the drone to detect aircraft broadcasting ADS-B out directly. FlightRadar24 relies on the aircraft ADS-B being picked up by a ground station and fed to their system. As a result, depending on location, you will quite likely see aircraft detected by Airsense that are not shown elsewhere. But if the aircraft are not broadcasting ADS-B then you won't see them anyway.

As for aircraft showing on FlightRadar24 - those include radar data and aircraft at all altitudes, which I'm sure Airsense filters on to show only low altitude traffic.

I bought a MA2 with ADS-B. However, i dont see any option in the menu that refers to it. I saw some YT videos where there is an option to enable and disable. It isn’t available on mine. Wondering what that’s about!

Airsense uses an ADS-B receiver on the drone to detect aircraft broadcasting ADS-B out directly. FlightRadar24 relies on the aircraft ADS-B being picked up by a ground station and fed to their system. As a result, depending on location, you will quite likely see aircraft detected by Airsense that are not shown elsewhere. But if the aircraft are not broadcasting ADS-B then you won't see them anyway.

As for aircraft showing on FlightRadar24 - those include radar data and aircraft at all altitudes, which I'm sure Airsense filters on to show only low altitude traffic.
Even the Airsense detections are clearly more of an annoyance than a help. If you have LOS to the drone, to maintain signal, regardless of distance, you will still be able to clearly see and hear any manned aircraft without Airsense.

Thoughts?

Although they use the same technology in practice it'll work differently.

Both rely on a receiver to receive ADSB from aircraft. FR24 relies on a worldwide network of receivers.
The issue is the signals are line of sight which means if you're not in a populated area, have mountains or something similar then there maybe no FR24 receiver station in range of aircraft in that area.
This is especially true of low altitude. Its perfectly common to be able to "see" aircraft 200+nm away at upper flight levels but have a rage of 3-4nm only for low altitude in bumpy terrain.

Something else to consider is *anyone* can exempt their plane or fleet from being displayed from FR24s tracking which means even if it IS received, it wont be displayed. The list itself is kept secret but people have managed to reverse engineer bits of it and its several thousand aircraft large at least.

So Airsense is going to be more useful than FR24 in general because its receiving in your local bubble where there may well be no FR24 coverage of that area from a third party.

Airsense may also filter out useless traffic in the area (Theres no point showing aircraft 30,000ft above the max obtainable drone altitude or aircraft whos course and speed post absolutely no threat). Im not sure how sophisticated it is but some filtering is useful.

A final point is both Airsense and FR24 are only going to display aircraft that broadcast ADSB. A lot of general aviation, military, gliders and so on (the traffic most likely to cause a problem with a drone) do NOT have ADSB transponders so wont show up.

Although in theory ADS-B is mandatory in the USA the last released figures only showed 44%of GA aircraft were equipped which means roughly you'll be missing half the potential traffic. Military often fly with ADSB off as well, especially when on low level training sorties outside controlled airspace.
In the rest of the world ADSB transponders are even worse coverage ranging from 10-20% or so in some countries for non-commercial / GA.

So just because Airsense there is no traffic, it doesnt mean there's no traffic. There might be something about to come over a hell or valley it hasnt received or there might be traffic that isnt transmitting ADS-B around.
So its a guide but certainly not foolproof (and arguably, not overly useful for someone operating in correct, legal VLOS distances etc).

Flightradar 24 has always been spot on and accurate for me. Some corp aircraft and military block tracking so they will not show up.

Although they use the same technology in practice it'll work differently.

Both rely on a receiver to receive ADSB from aircraft. FR24 relies on a worldwide network of receivers.
The issue is the signals are line of sight which means if you're not in a populated area, have mountains or something similar then there maybe no FR24 receiver station in range of aircraft in that area.
This is especially true of low altitude. Its perfectly common to be able to "see" aircraft 200+nm away at upper flight levels but have a rage of 3-4nm only for low altitude in bumpy terrain.

Something else to consider is *anyone* can exempt their plane or fleet from being displayed from FR24s tracking which means even if it IS received, it wont be displayed. The list itself is kept secret but people have managed to reverse engineer bits of it and its several thousand aircraft large at least.

So Airsense is going to be more useful than FR24 in general because its receiving in your local bubble where there may well be no FR24 coverage of that area from a third party.

Airsense may also filter out useless traffic in the area (Theres no point showing aircraft 30,000ft above the max obtainable drone altitude or aircraft whos course and speed post absolutely no threat). Im not sure how sophisticated it is but some filtering is useful.

A final point is both Airsense and FR24 are only going to display aircraft that broadcast ADSB. A lot of general aviation, military, gliders and so on (the traffic most likely to cause a problem with a drone) do NOT have ADSB transponders so wont show up.

Although in theory ADS-B is mandatory in the USA the last released figures only showed 44%of GA aircraft were equipped which means roughly you'll be missing half the potential traffic. Military often fly with ADSB off as well, especially when on low level training sorties outside controlled airspace.
In the rest of the world ADSB transponders are even worse coverage ranging from 10-20% or so in some countries for non-commercial / GA.

So just because Airsense there is no traffic, it doesnt mean there's no traffic. There might be something about to come over a hell or valley it hasnt received or there might be traffic that isnt transmitting ADS-B around.
So its a guide but certainly not foolproof (and arguably, not overly useful for someone operating in correct, legal VLOS distances etc).

It's not mandatory in the US. It's required in certain classes of airspace.

It's not mandatory in the US. It's required in certain classes of airspace.

Fair enough. Badly worded from me. Either way its not going to show all, possibly not even a majority of the most likely conflicting traffic.

As a side note, does anyone know if the ADSB receiver it built into the actual drone or the RC?

Fair enough. Badly worded from me. Either way its not going to show all, possibly not even a majority of the most likely conflicting traffic.

As a side note, does anyone know if the ADSB receiver it built into the actual drone or the RC?

It's on the drone. ADS-B reception on the ground would be very patchy.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Flightradar 24 has always been spot on and accurate for me. Some corp aircraft and military block tracking so they will not show up.
FR24 has been pretty consistent for me as well, with the exception of some helicopters. I'm pretty much of a dork and like to get a read on who's overhead. It has helped me gauge altitudes of private planes nearby, which has helped a lot in my situational awareness. They are higher than they look!

It's on the drone. ADS-B reception on the ground would be very patchy.

Thats what i was thinking. It does mean they've modified the Occusync2 protocol to support ADSB data link as well though. If it works on the SC it means modifying that. Not hard because its all SDR based but slightly interesting.

I’ve found the Airsense works better in my area. It’s rural and by the ocean. There’s a fair number of low flying private aircraft that pop up on Airsense but don’t show anything on Flightradar24. Also, there are Coast Guard aircraft in my area too. I haven’t had a chance to see if Airsense would pick them up, but Flightradar24 definitely does not.

I use FR24 in pre-planning to get an idea of local landing patterns and elevation on flight day.
Thinking you can dodge commercial aircraft with a drone real-time is a fool's game IMHO.

Flightradar24 has been absolutely accurate for me. I live 15 miles from a major airport and every time a plane flies by it’s on flightradar24.

Thats what i was thinking. It does mean they've modified the Occusync2 protocol to support ADSB data link as well though. If it works on the SC it means modifying that. Not hard because its all SDR based but slightly interesting.

Considering the amount of data coming back over the comms link, adding some ADS-B data isn't going to be noticeable.

A final point is both Airsense and FR24 are only going to display aircraft that broadcast ADSB.
AirSense will display only display ADS-B equipped aircraft, but FR24 also shows Aircraft with the MLAT System - not sure what the difference is to ADS-B, but I doubt that Airsense can detect those planes. Just took this screenshot from FR24:

FR24-WASH.png

For us in Europe it's even worse: by mid of this year only aircrafts > 5.7t of weight and Vmax > 250 knots are supposed to have ADS-B. So most of small aircrafts I spotted here use MLAT (however this works in comparison to ADS-B).

AirSense will display only display ADS-B equipped aircraft, but FR24 also shows Aircraft with the MLAT System - not sure what the difference is to ADS-B, but I doubt that Airsense can detect those planes. Just took this screenshot from FR24:

View attachment 102406

For us in Europe it's even worse: by mid of this year only aircrafts > 5.7t of weight and Vmax > 250 knots are supposed to have ADS-B. So most of small aircrafts I spotted here use MLAT (however this works in comparison to ADS-B).

MLAT is triangulation of Mode S signals.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I use FR24 in pre-planning to get an idea of local landing patterns and elevation on flight day.
Thinking you can dodge commercial aircraft with a drone real-time is a fool's game IMHO.

Commercial aircraft are the least threat to a drone. They dont hang around at 400ft or lower and only do so for a few seconds during a takeoff or landing.

Its GA/military/SAR and so on that are likely to be operating low level for significant time and cause a hazard. But a lot of those will not have ADSB

Reactions: cgmaxed
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velmapeterson