DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airspace Authorization application question

gnbrotz

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I am in the process of applying for my first Airspace Authorization. I have a job offer that is located within the 0-grid of a Class D airport. I had asked elsewhere about this process and possible bad weather on the planned day of flight, and I was told by several folks to request a range of time, not just a single day. I am also referring to a sample AA application found online, and that too shows a range of time, not just a single day.

However, as I work through the actual application this evening, I have entered all the applicable details and I am unable to proceed past the Operational Parameters page. The form is telling me that the Date of Operation must only be a single day for LAANC enabled airports. This conflicts with the other info I have been given and seen from other sources. What am I missing?

331140382_995382401841721_5106655682495894327_n.jpg

I am in the process of applying for my first Airspace Authorization. I have a job offer that is located within the 0-grid of a Class D airport. I had asked elsewhere about this process and possible bad weather on the planned day of flight, and I was told by several folks to request a range of time, not just a single day. I am also referring to a sample AA application found online, and that too shows a range of time, not just a single day.

However, as I work through the actual application this evening, I have entered all the applicable details and I am unable to proceed past the Operational Parameters page. The form is telling me that the Date of Operation must only be a single day for LAANC enabled airports. This conflicts with the other info I have been given and seen from other sources. What am I missing?

View attachment 160744
Maybe a question that @Vic Moss or @BigAl07 can answer.

You can only enter a single date in that page. In your addenda notes where you explain the nature and purpose of your mission, state the time period you wish to block off, given allowing for weather and your needs. They understand and allow for that. Be specific in your safety plan, e.g. RTH in the event of lost signal, VO or not, RTH altitude, enable max distance at what distance, etc.
In the auth they issue it will state what your are permitted to do and not do. I have never had one fully denied, but have had them adjust my requested altitude when flying across the highway from runways in Class B airspace.

Thank you! That makes sense, I guess. It would be a little more clear if they explained as you did!

One other question, in terms of the comprehensive explanation, which I am working on, I have seen examples say things like "The operations are conducted using standard industry proven equipment". I will be using a Mavic Air 2, which is not an "Enterprise" model by manufacturer definition. Is there a better way to convey that I believe I am using quality equipment, that I believe is reliable, without potentially being misleading? Or should I just leave that point out altogether?

It totally makes sense that they would frown upon "toys" being used in controlled airspace, but I have been unable to find a formal 'official' definition for "industry proven equipment", and I know there is plenty of paid work being done with the Air 2.

I state the equipment make and model I am using and approximately how many flights I have on it based on my logs. Don’t fret too much, they want you to fly… but safely.

Don’t forget to unlock your DJI Geozone before heading out.
This is also a minor concern, as I am in their highest level of restriction, but experienced users have reminded me that I don't need DJI permission, my approved AA does that. I am "telling" them to do the unlock based on that, and there should be no debate on that part of the process.

That said, I am intentionally submitting for a date a couple of months in the future, just so I have time to sort out any potential issues with that part of the process.

Planning that far ahead is a good plan, but you may have to resubmit for another auth, as I doubt they would hold it open for that long. However, I would plan a duplicate mission a week or two in advance of the client mission, do a “dry run”, just exactly as you would with the client onsite, in order to smoke out any potential issues. Getting stumped in front of the client is best to be avoided.
DJI is really good about unlocking. No problem if you have an auth or LAANC approval.

Planning that far ahead is a good plan, but you may have to resubmit for another auth, as I doubt they would hold it open for that long. However, I would plan a duplicate mission a week or two in advance of the client mission, do a “dry run”, just exactly as you would with the client onsite, in order to smoke out any potential issues. Getting stumped in front of the client is best to be avoided.
DJI is really good about unlocking. No problem if you have an auth or LAANC approval.

To be clear, I am not asking for a few months of authorization, but rather ~1 month window that runs from mid-May to mid-June. Given the published possible approval time of up to 90 days, I didn't think I was too far ahead. The application page says you can't submit more than 24 months in advance, and I haven't.

I already have a duplicate mission that I have run to demonstrate to myself that I can do what needs to be done (collect the photos and process them into a single image). I needed to know that before I even agreed to formally entertain the job offer. I've also run it at different altitudes both to see what my drone is capable of, and to see the varying processing costs depending on how many photos I have (I'm using MME for now).

A survey at 300' would be adequate to produce an image that meets the clients needs, but I am actually planning to fly it at 150', because I am hoping a lower altitude request in a zero-grid will get approved easier.

A couple of years ago I applied for a 1 week authorization in a zero AGL area near a small airport to video a golf course. My reason for this was to make sure I had at least one day with good weather. Had a couple of back and forth emails with FAA folks. It ended up aging off their system without approval. They told me that typically extended time requests are for construction sites.

I ended up submitting requests for individual days. They were approved with no further clarification required. I was also able to make one additional request for each approval for the next week that was rubber stamped right away.

This was a while ago so maybe things have changed. But you might want to have a backup plan to submit requests for individual days just to make sure you don't get boxed out. Getting the multi-day request in ASAP is an absolute necessity.

Good luck...

You can only enter a single date in that page. In your addenda notes where you explain the nature and purpose of your mission, state the time period you wish to block off, given allowing for weather and your needs. They understand and allow for that. Be specific in your safety plan, e.g. RTH in the event of lost signal, VO or not, RTH altitude, enable max distance at what distance, etc.
In the auth they issue it will state what your are permitted to do and not do. I have never had one fully denied, but have had them adjust my requested altitude when flying across the highway from runways in Class B airspace.
@PHZ , I did as you suggested in regards to dates, and received an approval in less than a week, but only for the single date the form allowed me to enter, not the range requested in the text fields. There was no additional comment made about my requested range.

Is there some way to follow up after an approval, or do I need to sit down and duplicate this request for multiple single dates so I have the flexibility I need?

To your last question: Yes, there is.
Begin the process as usual, copy and paste from your previous auth.(except change the dates 😁). As you near the end, there is a question at the bottom of the page asking if you have a previous request similar to the current one and it will ask for the number. Fill that out. I think that will speed the process.
I am surprised that you were not approved for the range of dates you asked for unless it was a long period.
It may help if in your request explanation, state in the first sentence that “This a wide-area request for dates XXXXXXX.”
Then they will look more closely for the dates you are asking for. It is possible they were anticipating some external event which would affect the original dates you requested. I believe these are approved at an FAA district level, and there may be some variance in how they are processed. My last one was approved by Carol Long.
Good luck.

To your last question: Yes, there is.
Begin the process as usual, copy and paste from your previous auth.(except change the dates 😁). As you near the end, there is a question at the bottom of the page asking if you have a previous request similar to the current one and it will ask for the number. Fill that out. I think that will speed the process.
I am surprised that you were not approved for the range of dates you asked for unless it was a long period.
It may help if in your request explanation, state in the first sentence that “This a wide-area request for dates XXXXXXX.”
Then they will look more closely for the dates you are asking for. It is possible they were anticipating some external event which would affect the original dates you requested. I believe these are approved at an FAA district level, and there may be some variance in how they are processed. My last one was approved by Carol Long.
Good luck.
I will do as you suggest, again.

I did the same thing with the first submission, and I made it the very first sentence in the text Description of Operation. Hopefully, as you mentioned, referencing the first request will make the light bulb come on.

Is all caps for that first paragraph bad form?:D
(just kidding)

The “wide area” nomenclature signifies to them a date range, should they choose to pay attention. Don’t forget to unlock the drone from the clutches of the Grand Enforcer, DJI.

The “wide area” nomenclature signifies to them a date range, should they choose to pay attention. Don’t forget to unlock the drone from the clutches of the Grand Enforcer, DJI.
I appreciate the explanation of terminolgy. My assumption would have been that that refers to the size of the physical area I wanted to fly in. I most certainly plan to contact DJI as soon as I have the full authorization I want from the FAA.

I will post here again as my process progresses, and I certainly appreciate your timely assistance! I promise as my own experience grows that I will do what I can to help others who are just beginning their own journey.

That “wide area” was given to me by a contact I had within the FAA. He would walk me through it before the current Drone Zone portal existed. I used to call him and could get a Class B auth overnight. Sadly, he is no longer there.

So my second submission was also approved, but again, only for the (second) single day at the top of my application, despite again spelling out my desired window in the text field, and the use of the suggested language.
The initial application took 5 days to get approval, and the second one only 3.

Since I now have 2 consecutive days approved in May, I'm going to sit tight for now and hope for the best. I have flexibility on completing the job, and if I can get approvals in less than a week, I'll just wait until we're much closer, and submit for additional days if needed.

It's frustrating that the process recommended by several experience pilots isn't working in my situation, but I'm thankful that in this case, it won't result in losing the job altogether.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580