DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airspace confusion

Don't quite get the function here. I have class C and D inside of controlled airspace that roughly border each other. The sectional shows the outer ring of class C being 23-47. But on the FAA's drone arcgis page, it shows 400 feet for a class C segment, and 200 for a class D segment. Of course on the DJI flysafe it shows the runways being off limits and the airspace being unlock/auth zone.

Don't quite get the function here. I have class C and D inside of controlled airspace that roughly border each other. The sectional shows the outer ring of class C being 23-47. But on the FAA's drone arcgis page, it shows 400 feet for a class C segment, and 200 for a class D segment. Of course on the DJI flysafe it shows the runways being off limits and the airspace being unlock/auth zone.
While it’s difficult to help without knowing what airspace you are talking about the outer ring of class C airspace is generally above 400 feet therefore they do not show up on the facilities map on Arcgis. You are probably looking at the inner ring of Class C on Arcgis not the outer ring.

The facilities map on Arcgis is showing you the maximum altitude you can request through LAANC and get automatic approval. If you are a recreational pilot this is the maximum alititude you can request through LAANC. The chart on the other hand is showing you the bounds of the airspace itself.

You can see the chart is telling you something different from the facilities map.

While it’s difficult to help without knowing what airspace you are talking about the outer ring of class C airspace is generally above 400 feet therefore they do not show up on the facilities map on Arcgis. You are probably looking at the inner ring of Class C on Arcgis not the outer ring.

The facilities map on Arcgis is showing you the maximum altitude you can request through LAANC and get automatic approval. If you are a recreational pilot this is the maximum alititude you can request through LAANC. The chart on the other hand is showing you the bounds of the airspace itself.

You can see the chart is telling you something different from the facilities map.
The class C inner ring is surface (usually the runway and the approach/departure transition) to 47. Outer ring is 23 up to 47, but it is showing both on the arcgis.

Part 107 should be able to go deeper into the airspace if requested more than a recreational or non part 107 I assume.

Automatic approval at 200-400...that seems strange...it's already under 400. The 400-1200 feet is the airspace E/G part. So they must not want you going out of G into E if it's controlled airspace.

The FAA B4UFLY app doesn't even give any ceilings, just warnings about any controlled airspace needing authorization or completely restricted.

I'm not totally sure I completely trust DJI's flysafe either.

The class C inner ring is surface (usually the runway and the approach/departure transition) to 47. Outer ring is 23 up to 47, but it is showing both on the arcgis.

Part 107 should be able to go deeper into the airspace if requested more than a recreational or non part 107 I assume.

Automatic approval at 200-400...that seems strange...it's already under 400. The 400-1200 feet is the airspace E/G part. So they must not want you going out of G into E if it's controlled airspace.

The FAA B4UFLY app doesn't even give any ceilings, just warnings about any controlled airspace needing authorization or completely restricted.

I'm not totally sure I completely trust DJI's flysafe either.
You can’t fly over 400 ft AGL anywhere with a drone unless you have a waiver in which case you can’t use LAANC anyway so the facilities map doesn’t show airspace that is G surface to 400 ft. It would not show class C that is 23-47. It must be some other controlled airspace surface to 400 ft. Click on the area of the Arcgis map for it to tell you what the airspace is that you have clicked on and it will give you the details of the airspace.

What airports are you referring to? It would make this a lot easier.

Part 107 pilots can request altitudes greater than what is on the facilities map but it will have to be reviewed and approved manually which can take some time.

B4Ufly is trash and DJI flysafe isn’t even designed to help you follow the law it’s just meant to stop you from doing what someone in China deems to be unsafe.

You can’t fly over 400 ft AGL anywhere with a drone unless you have a waiver in which case you can’t use LAANC anyway so the facilities map doesn’t show airspace that is G surface to 400 ft. It would not show class C that is 23-47. It must be some other controlled airspace surface to 400 ft. Click on the area of the Arcgis map for it to tell you what the airspace is that you have clicked on and it will give you the details of the airspace.

What airports are you referring to? It would make this a lot easier.

Part 107 pilots can request altitudes greater than what is on the facilities map but it will have to be reviewed and approved manually which can take some time.

B4Ufly is trash and DJI flysafe isn’t even designed to help you follow the law it’s just meant to stop you from doing what someone in China deems to be unsafe.
Under part 107 most of this goes away except for getting the FAA authorization and then emailing it to DJI to unlock is a pain. Idiot proof stuff I guess.

Airmap is better at this than B4UFLY as it doesn't square off circles of airspace. It even tells me where the first responders are (so that I can avoid them). But in order to fly the drone I have to sign up for airmap...what is it with all this sign up with a valid e-mail business?

Pik4dcapture won't do anything until a valid e-mail address is entered.

Ok Wi ll try to look up. Because the app shows warnings for like 5 airspaces near where I wish to go. Even tho I'm not tryign to fly at 1000's of feet. Maybe I bought this and it will be a waste of money. I read the info prior but now it's becoming confusing.
Airmap, and some other apps, might show a bunch of airspace warnings if you are within 5 miles of any airport, as displayed in that app. But it is based on how much you zoom in or out, and is not relevant unless you are flying out to the maximum amount as displayed on the map.

Not a waste of money, use Airmap to see what airspace is "relevant", ignore airspace outside of where you want to fly. Check out LAANC, you can fly, with clearance, to the altitude for the "grid" you are flying. LAANC is applicable for both recreational and Part 107 - I always recommend everyone get Part 107 certified, although it costs $150 every 2 years, or $75 per year - not a lot if you buy a $1k drone, or more.

Go for it, don't let any one intimidate you from flying where you want to.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom