DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alarming Obstacle Avoidance, anyone else?

Droning on and on...

Reactions
Had my Mini3P facing a solid fence, playing with OA set to Bypass. the fence extended in both directions, no way around. The Mini could get over it by climbing 3 feet. Was not approaching the fence, but was rather hovering 2 feet from it, about 2 feet below the top.

Pushed and held full stick forward. Didn't move. Kept commanding forward to see what would happen. Suddenly, it went full roll left, and would have hit a tree if I hadn't released the stick immediately.

Repeated, happened a second time. Took about 10-15 seconds holding pitch full-forward to trigger it.

Have not been able to repeat it again. Every attempt since results in the behavior I expect: Just sits there, having no path it can "see" to avoid the obstacle.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

Had my Mini3P facing a solid fence, playing with OA set to Bypass. the fence extended in both directions, no way around. The Mini could get over it by climbing 3 feet. Was not approaching the fence, but was rather hovering 2 feet from it, about 2 feet below the top.

Pushed and held full stick forward. Didn't move. Kept commanding forward to see what would happen. Suddenly, it went full roll left, and would have hit a tree if I hadn't released the stick immediately.

Repeated, happened a second time. Took about 10-15 seconds holding pitch full-forward to trigger it.

Have not been able to repeat it again. Every attempt since results in the behavior I expect: Just sits there, having no path it can "see" to avoid the obstacle.

Anyone else ever have this happen?
I think if you are that close and in a hover, it's no longer looking for a way around since it can't see far enough ahead to make a decision. Try backing up about 75' and approach the fence at a modest pace. It should then make a move to "bypass."

I've had similar results with my Mavic 3. I approached and stopped in front of a small stone bridge to go under. There was at least 10'-15' of clearance on all sides, but the Mav wasn't having it. It wouldn't move. I had to back up and then take a run at it slowly, and then it decided that "no, you are not going through there", so it flew up and over the bridge deck.

That surprised the heck out of me - so now, when I try to do anything like that I disable the obstacle detection first.

To be clear, sitting there refusing to do anything was what I expected. I realized that without movement approaching, it probably couldn't figure out it could go over.

I didn't expect it to, without any indication, suddenly roll left, full throttle, when it has no sideways OA sensors, nor any reason to compute it was unobstructed in that direction, unless... it keeps some memory of some portion of its recent immediate flight path, and can therefore know it could go over the fence.

I don't think it does that, especially since it went wildly left, not up.

Not quite ready to say it's a bug. I haven't been able to reproduce it, wanted to see if anyone else had seen odd APAS behavior like this.

To be clear, sitting there refusing to do anything was what I expected. I realized that without movement approaching, it probably couldn't figure out it could go over.

I didn't expect it to, without any indication, suddenly roll left, full throttle, when it has no sideways OA sensors, nor any reason to compute it was unobstructed in that direction, unless... it keeps some memory of some portion of its recent immediate flight path, and can therefore know it could go over the fence.

I don't think it does that, especially since it went wildly left, not up.

Not quite ready to say it's a bug. I haven't been able to reproduce it, wanted to see if anyone else had seen odd APAS behavior like this.
Someone mentioned the possibility of the drone messing up if it was looking directly into the sun. Also, DJI says that it can fail if the scene in front of the sensors is dark or very bright. Was the fence white by any chance? With the sun on it?
Just spitballing here since I don't know how to reproduce your exact setup.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne