DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

All Black Mavic Pro (pics)

A wrap will not increase heat to the internal components.....the heat sink is on the bottom and doesn't get covered with a wrap. Also, the internals are all cooled via the fan so any heat that a wrap may absorb is not directed to the electronics. Plus while flying, the air moving across the drone surface will transfer any absorbed heat from the wrap. The only time you might see any increase would be if it was sitting in the sun and not in the air flying.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

The heatsink on the bottom is just one of several thermal surfaces on the Mavic. You also have to remember that internal heat rises and also needs to escape through the surface of the body as well. Because heat rises the bottom heatsink is only part of the thermal management solution. A wrap will without a doubt insulate to some degree, however I wold confirm with DJI if they will honor the warranty if the mavic fails for heat related issues and it has a wrap, especially a black wrap.

Seems like your post fell on deaf ears.
Yes heat travels up and a lot of the heat generated will end up inside the unit. The Black wrap on a hot summer day is not going to help things as it will absorb more IR heat than the standard grey. It will also have a small insulating effect. Will it make a difference overall?
I doubt it but IMHO it is not worth the risk when your dealing with something using this many processors and is always just one glitch away from disaster.

Seems like your post fell on deaf ears.
Yes heat travels up and a lot of the heat generated will end up inside the unit. The Black wrap on a hot summer day is not going to help things as it will absorb more IR heat than the standard grey. It will also have a small insulating effect. Will it make a difference overall?
I doubt it but IMHO it is not worth the risk when your dealing with something using this many processors and is always just one glitch away from disaster.
Have you seen inside the Mavic...there is a nice video of disassembly on YouTube that shows this.....all of the critical electronics are inside on the lower board where the air that gets blown thru by the fan....I am not disputing that the black will have a higher absorption rate than the grey but it also acts as a insulator to the direct sunlight that generates the heat. Think of the dash in your car and how hot it gets in the sun....now add a dash mat....even a black one, the dash underneath of the mat will be cooler than the dash without the mat....that coupled with the airflow while in flight, it may actually result in cooler internal temps than the not wrapped version....

Reactions: WolfpackRob
Thanks! I found the stick guards on eBay (theres a ton on there just try searching) and i think I paid around $6.

The case is from sams club and is an absolute bargain at $19.

Member's Mark 16" Safety Protective Box - Sam's Club

Dam that's a great price for that case, I wonder if there is anyway I could get that shipped to Canada? Although shipping might negate the decent price and a pelican locally might cost only a bit more. [emoji19]

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Another thing to keep in mind is the batteries physical health. There have been a number of posts from users who have found hair-line cracks developing in the plastic material around the power button and the top surfaces of the buttons. My only concern with any type of wrap is that this may conceal those cracks. Users that have notified DJI about the cracks have had them replaced FOC.

Have you seen inside the Mavic...there is a nice video of disassembly on YouTube that shows this.....all of the critical electronics are inside on the lower board where the air that gets blown thru by the fan....I am not disputing that the black will have a higher absorption rate than the grey but it also acts as a insulator to the direct sunlight that generates the heat. Think of the dash in your car and how hot it gets in the sun....now add a dash mat....even a black one, the dash underneath of the mat will be cooler than the dash without the mat....that coupled with the airflow while in flight, it may actually result in cooler internal temps than the not wrapped version....

Yes I have seen two videos. The short one from iFixit and the long one where the guy jack hammers it open :( Anyway I guess someone had to find all of the plastic clip points. I just wished he had documented it better.

As for you Dash Mat comparison i am a little confused. I have never seen one made in Black, they are typically Silver or White so that they reflect IR light back out of the car. If you made one Black it would get very hot and radiate heat inside the car. That's not to say that some company has not made a Black one, but if they did it was stupid engineering at work.

Before you jump to the Car Window Tint analogy I would warn you that Tint is very specifically designed to prevent the IR from getting into the car in the first place and has specific IR reflection numbers.

The Black wrap on the drone is not tint, it is just black plastic which will certainly absorb more IR than the grey and then transfer the heat to the plastic. As for the Fan and wind cooling, that is not really relevant since I am only saying it adds extra heat.

Components like capacitors and batteries do not like heat, it shortens their life span. When we design circuit boards we spec the components for the expected internal operating temperature and then buy components that surpass that and have a certain level of extra margin that they can tolerate. the best practice is not to add more heat to a product but to keep it within normal specs. As I said I doubt there will be a problem but I would not be using black in the summer just as a precaution. It might be great in the winter as extra heat will certainly improve battery performance.

Reactions: Techcop50
How did you even find the contact link on their website? Would love to order one of these skins.

Thanks! I got them here - Dynamic 3D Solutions

They were a little pricey for what they are, but I bought them because I thought I needed them when traveling by plane. Turns out I didn't. Over 6 flights now and the TSA hasn't looked at my Mavic or batteries once

Yes I have seen two videos. The short one from iFixit and the long one where the guy jack hammers it open :( Anyway I guess someone had to find all of the plastic clip points. I just wished he had documented it better.

As for you Dash Mat comparison i am a little confused. I have never seen one made in Black, they are typically Silver or White so that they reflect IR light back out of the car. If you made one Black it would get very hot and radiate heat inside the car. That's not to say that some company has not made a Black one, but if they did it was stupid engineering at work.

Before you jump to the Car Window Tint analogy I would warn you that Tint is very specifically designed to prevent the IR from getting into the car in the first place and has specific IR reflection numbers.

The Black wrap on the drone is not tint, it is just black plastic which will certainly absorb more IR than the grey and then transfer the heat to the plastic. As for the Fan and wind cooling, that is not really relevant since I am only saying it adds extra heat.

Components like capacitors and batteries do not like heat, it shortens their life span. When we design circuit boards we spec the components for the expected internal operating temperature and then buy components that surpass that and have a certain level of extra margin that they can tolerate. the best practice is not to add more heat to a product but to keep it within normal specs. As I said I doubt there will be a problem but I would not be using black in the summer just as a precaution. It might be great in the winter as extra heat will certainly improve battery performance.
You are thinking of a sunshade for the windshield. i am talking about a dash mat like this....

Dash_Designs_Suede_dash_cover_Chrysler_300C.jpg

You are thinking of a sunshade for the windshield. i am talking about a dash mat like this....

Dash_Designs_Suede_dash_cover_Chrysler_300C.jpg

Yes I was thinking Sunshade. What your using is something I have seen people refer to as a dash board cover or protector, but I guess Dash Mat is another name for it. You do know that it is still absorbing a lot of IR but it is protecting your Dash from UV and preventing it from drying out and cracking.

This will be the third time Ive answered that question in this thread :)

Look at post #50
Or better yet buy a 3D printer and print your own (those on the site linked are all 3D printed). It may be an investment initially but I can almost guarantee you that over time you will recover most of the cost by being able to print your own parts. :) That battery cover probably takes about 15-20 minutes to print on a mid level printer and cost pennies in plastic filament.

I bought this matte black wrap decal from a new Japanese company - DJI Mavic pro用 ドローン ラッピング・スキンシール DRONEWRAP.SHOP

I really wanted that 'stealthy' look. Installation wasn't that difficult (although patience is needed) and unlike other wrap offerings Ive seen, this one has a lot more coverage on the edges. I'm very impressed with the quality.

I was fortunate to get hold of one before they actually sell in the US, but they've told me they're launching an English website soon.

No doubt that company has the best wraps for the Mavic. I'm putting one on mine right now that is from a different company and it's a joke in my opinion. I would call it decals instead of being a actual wrap like what you have. I wanted one from the company you used but they did not have their website setup yet for international transactions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini