DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

All I can say is WOW!

Pinchecharlie

Reactions
Kinda lame thread but....I had my maiden flight tonight and...it was kick ***!!!!! I had done a ton of research and watched alot of videos so I was kinda prepared but holly **** This thing is so cool. I fumbled around doing the check in and update stuff then I fumbled through settings untill finally I said stuff it and off she went! I was shaking nervous and had a bit of anxiety but it just did everything so smooth and easy! So so stoked! I won't lie I didn't do much but just kinda move around. I thought it would be a bit more Intuitive but it was weird how I got disoriented with yaw and forward/backward? Maybe you have a memory trick for it? Like something you think to belp you remember ? lol! Anyway I did the intelligent mode dronie and circle and rocket but forgot to record all of them lol. I followed my kid on her bike in tripod mode and besides the camera stuff I did way better than I expected! It feels weird leaving it in space pushing the I pad but unless iam just high it didn't care at all and was so stable . I really can not believe how amazing this thing is. I didn't say but I had never flown a drone of any kind before! Iam hooked for sure! Woot woot! Now to practice practice practice!!!! Thanks to all here who had answered previous posts and who have sold me stuff via classifieds . Any and all "What I'd do to LEARN it is.." would be appreciated as well! Yay ! Fun as ! Woot woot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any and all "What I'd do to LEARN it is.." would be appreciated as well! Yay ! Fun as ! Woot woot!
Sounds like you’re a sensible guy, so the simple answer is ‘practice, practice and, oh.... practice!’
I learned (and am still learning) so much from this fantastic forum, most of our fellow drone pilots just want to help each other. If you ever do get a problem, follow the instructions elsewhere on here about uploading your flight record, and someone will very quickly do the analysis for you (there are also some VERY smart cookies in here!)

One of the first things you will want to do is slow down the gimble speeds. It will make your shots much smoother. I find my videos are way too fast when I move the gimble up and down during a recording. You can also adjust the sticks so that it is less sensitive around the center of the sticks to smooth out your control inputs.

I've been flying RC for 50 years and I don't have any tricks for the reversing sticks other than to practice. I try to put my brain in the cockpit and it helps. Of course with goggles the problem goes away LOL.

I typically fly freestyle but the built in shot modes are very cool.

I hope you have at least three batteries to extend your fun time. Thumbswayup

Thanks guys good advice (maybe not sport mode lol) I will re examine rth and I 've already slowed down the controls and gimbal. Lots of videos about that. Thinking " in the **** pit" is perfect for orientation! Was thinking of making the body a different color in front to make that easier untill iam better? Watched a couple " how to fly" videos late last night recommending flying patterns and by battery! So 3 batteries take off and landing no GPS and about ten others? Might be a real good thing to do!? The racing for rd are nuts! Watched some of those and man it's like science fiction! Thanks boys and be on the look out for many more " help me !" Posts soon! Happy flying! Going tonight with 3 full batteries and s mission lol!

Careful!

It's so easy to get sucked in loving this thing! I've bought so much stuff In the past few weeks and loved every minute of flying mine! I actually got bummed it was raining because I wanted to fly.. Normally tv is good. Now it's flying and YouTube about flying hahah

Reactions: Underdog1964
I thought it would be a bit more Intuitive but it was weird how I got disoriented with yaw and forward/backward? Maybe you have a memory trick for it? Like something you think to belp you remember ? lol!

Don't worry about that. When I started flying drones I was also really disoriented with the controls, being used to video games only pretty much. So I know exactly how you feel.
If you fly a few more times you'll soon start learning the muscle memory for properly controlling it. And before you know it, you're zoofing around without even thinking about how your fingers. ;)
As mentioned above, it simply boils down to practice.

Oh, and if you still aren't comfortable with the controls after a while, there are a few control schemes you can choose from within the settings in Go4. One of these could be more suitable if the default scheme doesn't work out for you.

As far as orientation - it takes practice.
My advice is get one of the better quality micro drones with auto-level and practice indoors with something cheap.
I have a Sky Viper M550 that is a hoot to fly indoors, makes the dog crazy and the cat nervous and it is incapable of breaking anything directly.
You can get it from Amazon for like $12.

https://www.amazon.com/Sky-Viper-m5...pID=412cbBeuXML&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

My advice would be "Don't get overconfident." That is when bad things happen. You always go to bed easier if you've been "cautious." I've read some real heartache reading about some crashes or worse, losses. Keep the fun going. Don't zip around at lower altitudes in sports mode. You might hit something. Use it to get to your photo spot quickly and back home quickly. Thanks for letting us VICARIOUSLY share your excitment.

Kinda lame thread but....I had my maiden flight tonight and...it was kick ***!!!!! I had done a ton of research and watched alot of videos so I was kinda prepared but holly **** This thing is so cool. I fumbled around doing the check in and update stuff then I fumbled through settings untill finally I said stuff it and off she went! I was shaking nervous and had a bit of anxiety but it just did everything so smooth and easy! So so stoked! I won't lie I didn't do much but just kinda move around. I thought it would be a bit more Intuitive but it was weird how I got disoriented with yaw and forward/backward? Maybe you have a memory trick for it? Like something you think to belp you remember ? lol! Anyway I did the intelligent mode dronie and circle and rocket but forgot to record all of them lol. I followed my kid on her bike in tripod mode and besides the camera stuff I did way better than I expected! It feels weird leaving it in space pushing the I pad but unless iam just high it didn't care at all and was so stable . I really can not believe how amazing this thing is. I didn't say but I had never flown a drone of any kind before! Iam hooked for sure! Woot woot! Now to practice practice practice!!!! Thanks to all here who had answered previous posts and who have sold me stuff via classifieds . Any and all "What I'd do to LEARN it is.." would be appreciated as well! Yay ! Fun as ! Woot woot!

Haven't read all the reply's but I did Quick shots with my Mavic Air for the first time yesterday, and one thing I learned is IF you have your camera on, you will be told to turn it off before you can fly. Quick shots automatically records the event, so check your album contents and you should find record of those flights. Just say'n.

Reactions: Moon Man
One of the first things you will want to do is slow down the gimble speeds. It will make your shots much smoother. I find my videos are way too fast when I move the gimble up and down during a recording. You can also adjust the sticks so that it is less sensitive around the center of the sticks to smooth out your control inputs.

I've been flying RC for 50 years and I don't have any tricks for the reversing sticks other than to practice. I try to put my brain in the cockpit and it helps. Of course with goggles the problem goes away LOL.

I typically fly freestyle but the built in shot modes are very cool.

I hope you have at least three batteries to extend your fun time. Thumbswayup
I have never tried goggles, but I would imagine they are very cool. How does using goggles fit with VLOS?

If you're a gamer you might want to try one of the other stick modes which more closely matches FPV games.

Now... a Fortnite/drone mashup game... there's an idea!!

I have never tried goggles, but I would imagine they are very cool. How does using goggles fit with VLOS?
How does it fit with line of site? Well, with goggles you are seeing as if you are inside the drone looking out. With visual line of site you are looking from the perspective of where you are standing. Those are two very different views. With the goggles on, however, you are seeing ahead. With visual line of site you can see all around the drone, above, below, forward, backward and sides, but from a distance.

The first flight is unforgettable. When that drone lifts off, pure adrenaline. The great thing is, modern drones are so easy, that flying them is ridiculously intuitive. Especially GPS drones, they do the thinking for you. The Mavic Air, to me, is the easiest drone to fly, and I would suggest using all the safety features available (APAS, obstacle avoidance, sensors, all very helpful)

Reactions: Underdog1964
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803