DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

All the reports of "issues" freaking me out

RHelton10

Reactions
Not going to lie - you guys are making me nervous! I've never owned a decent drone before and I'm still waiting on my Mavic to arrive, but after reading all the posts on random controller connection issues, lost signals, lost drones, and problems from the last apparent software update (auto-launch = drone dropping to the ground) I'm starting to wonder if I'm ready for this!?

For the ones that have experience in flying - does it look like the majority of issues out there are more pilot error or drone / app errors?

If it's the latter, hopefully they'll be resolved before mine shows up late January.

Don't panic!

There are thousands of happy Mavic owners who haven't experienced any issues, forums are often populated by those with a axe to grind because 'something went wrong' sure there will be ligitimate cases of stuff not doing what was expected, but when you dig down, a huge number of these are 'pilot error'.

Keep it in beginner mode until you have got a feeling for how it handles and get familiar with the basics.

Incorrect use of and understanding of return to home as caused many lost drones, followed by 'its DJI's fault' claims. If the home point is recorded it will go there, directly, through trees and buildings if the return height isn't high enough.

Don't carry out the first flights in a back yard, go to a wide open space, without nearby trees or buildings, they attract the unwary drone operator.

It's an amazing bit of kit, just understand it and your limits and then explore them. Always have a plan B, RTH should not be it

Go out there and explore the world from a different perspective and have fun!

I think that many of the new drone flyers are new to the hobby and have no or very little experience from the rc world and that's why so many have issues and problem without knowing why. It's so easy to buy and get up in the air quickly but when it comes to problem it seems so easy to blame somebody else for their own misstakes.

It's important to understand the technology and how it works, and do and dont's before it end up in flames. If these things are clear then it's much easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RHelton10 and KMnO4
Not going to lie - you guys are making me nervous! I've never owned a decent drone before and I'm still waiting on my Mavic to arrive, but after reading all the posts on random controller connection issues, lost signals, lost drones, and problems from the last apparent software update (auto-launch = drone dropping to the ground) I'm starting to wonder if I'm ready for this!?

For the ones that have experience in flying - does it look like the majority of issues out there are more pilot error or drone / app errors?

If it's the latter, hopefully they'll be resolved before mine shows up late January.
For what it is worth, I thought the same thing. However, got my Mavic a week ago, and have not had a single issue. Love it.

Reactions: RHelton10
There really aren't that many reports of issues with the Mavic. You're just seeing a lot of reports here since this is where many people come when they run into trouble. DJI makes the best quadcopters on the market. Prepare to be impressed.

Make sure you take the time to read the Mavic manual and understand it before flying. That'll reduce your chances of running into common issues caused by pilot error. And, find a nice open area to fly (not your living room) until your're comfortable with how your Mavic operates and performs.

Just fly it within reasonable limits and the drone will be fine. Although I would definitely play around with its safe features to get comfortable. As someone said before make sure you set a good RTH height so that in the event something does happen it can come back in one piece.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Only issue I experienced was with the IMU calibration ,however a wise person on this forum suggested performing the calibration when the Mavic is cold . Never had another issue

Ok I'm feeling better now - thanks for the reassurance and tips. I have been reading up a good bit to get ready; that's the main reason I'm already on this forum. As long as it's not primarily a software or hardware issue, I'll probably be fine. I've got a good bit of common sense and I'm not going to try anything crazy with it until I'm confident that I know it's capabilities. And yes, it will probably stay in the "beginner" mode for several weeks

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: JohnC
I recommend you get a cheap quad for around $50 & learn the basic on stick control. If something happens with all the bells and whistle (GPS, Calibration, etc) on the Mavic at least you got a better chance of getting Mavic back to home point with a crash.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MavicPilots mobile app

I recommend you get a cheap quad for around $50 & learn the basic on stick control. If something happens with all the bells and whistle (GPS, Calibration, etc) on the Mavic at least you got a better chance of getting Mavic back to home point with a crash.

I purchased a Braha Skydrones X-15 a few days ago and plan to take it out tomorrow to start getting used to it. Good suggestion and I appreciate the advice.

I bought 2 of the syma X5C's to learn on before I bought my Phantom 3pro. I crashed 1of the x5c up in a tall pine. The wind blew it out, after being stuck for 2 months. I put a new battery in it and it still flew just fine. I'm waiting on my Mavic, suppose to be here the 27th. This is a fun hobby, but can be costly..:)

i managed to send the mavic higher when i was at the mountain side (not in USA) and out about 2.6km. got it back after issued n RTH. landing was much smoother that my P4. at one instance it refused to land on a slightly taller grass but i forced it to land anyway which it obediently execute. so far not experiencing any of the posted worries yet..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: burtg
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead