DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

All this criticism directed at those who fly outside of the FAA regs

Anyway my point is a piece of paper (drivers license) or a test to get a 107 does not change much, if anything, fools will be fools.
PCA member for 18 years

Last edited:
Some things never change. Everyone get over yourselves. This is an Internet forum for people who have an interest in flying quadcopters. Get back to that - less attacking each other please.

That's very true, however, having a cert. means you cant claim ignorance of the rules because you had to pass a knowledge test to get the cert.
Perhaps I have missed something in my exploration of the part 107 test.
does it contain different rules than the recreational rules?
I thought you just had to be able to read sectional maps so you know what airspace you are in, and where the obstacles were so you could make a safe approach to an airport. What other Knowledge did you get that makes you understand the rules?
A recreational pilot just has to know how far they are from airports, and preferably be outside the 5 mile radius, dont ever go over 400', and watch out for crazy manned aircraft flying unsafely in model aircraft airspace.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Really, perhaps you should put some skin in the game. Fly an aircraft with some A-hole putting your life at risk. We will see how your LOL works then.
Can you show where a drone has killed anyone? How about a life threatening injury? All I have ever heard of is cuts and bruises.
If you want to stretch it, yes a model aircraft operator could be considered a pilot (It gives a lot of them comfort thinking it is so).
BUT, no license is required to pilot a Mavic? Why is that do you suppose? Because it isnt really that big of a threat to life and limb.

Perhaps I have missed something in my exploration of the part 107 test.
does it contain different rules than the recreational rules?
I thought you just had to be able to read sectional maps so you know what airspace you are in, and where the obstacles were so you could make a safe approach to an airport. What other Knowledge did you get that makes you understand the rules?
A recreational pilot just has to know how far they are from airports, and preferably be outside the 5 mile radius, dont ever go over 400', and watch out for crazy manned aircraft flying unsafely in model aircraft airspace.

I don't know what you may or may not have missed. Do you think that you would pass the Part 107 test? The Part 107 regulations are quite different and significantly more stringent than the recreational rules, but a bigger significant difference is that the Part 107 certification actually requires you to know and understand the rules, and tests that. Under the Special Rule, in contrast, you can buy and fly a model aircraft or UAS with absolutely no knowledge at all. Even the briefest perusal of these forums starkly illustrates that difference.

Reactions: Classic flyer
I don't know what you may or may not have missed. Do you think that you would pass the Part 107 test? The Part 107 regulations are quite different and significantly more stringent than the recreational rules, but a bigger significant difference is that the Part 107 certification actually requires you to know and understand the rules, and tests that. Under the Special Rule, in contrast, you can buy and fly a model aircraft or UAS with absolutely no knowledge at all. Even the briefest perusal of these forums starkly illustrates that difference.
I just briefly looked over a sample test to see what was on it. NO, I would not pass it.
NO I do not want to take it. if I do get it, then I would have to have an 'Intent" every time I wanted to fly. Even though I dont have to make any declarations, or keep any logs as a record of my intent. LOL! (that is such B.S.!)
Seriously,
All the questions I remember seeing all dealt with understanding sectional maps. Air traffic control issues, and a whole lot of manned aircraft type questions. I dont see any way that helps a Mavic pilot unless they intend to spend a lot of time in controlled airspace, or flying beyond VLOS ( which they cant do anyway) or flying above 400'.
I realize most of the part 107 holders took the test thinking it gives them some sort of elite status, and they will never fly commercially anyway. i was just looking for honest examples of what rules a recreational pilot may not know that every schooled part 107 holder knows.
OR, do they just know more rules that govern their Part 107 flights, and are of no concern to recreational flights?

I just briefly looked over a sample test to see what was on it. NO, I would not pass it.
NO I do not want to take it. if I do get it, then I would have to have an 'Intent" every time I wanted to fly. Even though I dont have to make any declarations, or keep any logs as a record of my intent. LOL! (that is such B.S.!)
Seriously,
All the questions I remember seeing all dealt with understanding sectional maps. Air traffic control issues, and a whole lot of manned aircraft type questions. I dont see any way that helps a Mavic pilot unless they intend to spend a lot of time in controlled airspace, or flying beyond VLOS ( which they cant do anyway) or flying above 400'.
I realize most of the part 107 holders took the test thinking it gives them some sort of elite status, and they will never fly commercially anyway. i was just looking for honest examples of what rules a recreational pilot may not know that every schooled part 107 holder knows.
OR, do they just know more rules that govern their Part 107 flights, and are of no concern to recreational flights?

There's a real mixture of subject matter in Part 107, but a lot of it does focus on safe flying, especially in relation to deconflicting with other traffic. At a bare minimum it ensures that sUAS pilots are very clear on all the regulations, something that most recreational pilots appear to know almost nothing about - not surprising since there is no incentive or requirement to know that stuff.

As for why people get Part 107 certified, I think that you are speculating wildly. Some clearly intend to do non-recreational flying. Some may be doing it just to learn the material and/or challenge themselves. Maybe some do it for some kind of status, but that seems unlikely - it's a significant investment in time as well as costing $150 and who are they going to impress anyway? You seem to be far more fixated on those who are Part 107 certified than anyone who has actually done it.

There's a real mixture of subject matter in Part 107, but a lot of it does focus on safe flying, especially in relation to deconflicting with other traffic. At a bare minimum it ensures that sUAS pilots are very clear on all the regulations, something that most recreational pilots appear to know almost nothing about - not surprising since there is no incentive or requirement to know that stuff.

As for why people get Part 107 certified, I think that you are speculating wildly. Some clearly intend to do non-recreational flying. Some may be doing it just to learn the material and/or challenge themselves. Maybe some do it for some kind of status, but that seems unlikely - it's a significant investment in time as well as costing $150 and who are they going to impress anyway? You seem to be far more fixated on those who are Part 107 certified than anyone who has actually done it.
Not fixated, just tired of the few that have that "holier than thou" attitude because of it.
so, we are talking about the same regulations then? stay away from manned aircraft and airports, dont fly above 400', or beyond VLOS. Because that is the ENTIRE list of FAA regulations as I have read here and there (pertaining to model aircraft operation). Are you talking about some additional regulations added to the part 107 holders?
Since they film Parades 75 feet from the end of active runways, Or fly in National parks and get tickets, or flying at night over a population without any waivers? You know, things that recreational pilots are not allowed to do?

Reactions: Drgnfli
Not fixated, just tired of the few that have that "holier than thou" attitude because of it.
so, we are talking about the same regulations then? stay away from manned aircraft and airports, dont fly above 400', or beyond VLOS. Because that is the ENTIRE list of FAA regulations as I have read here and there (pertaining to model aircraft operation). Are you talking about some additional regulations added to the part 107 holders?
Since they film Parades 75 feet from the end of active runways, Or fly in National parks and get tickets, or flying at night over a population without any waivers? You know, things that recreational pilots are not allowed to do?

You are correct - you wouldn't pass the Part 107 test. You should read the regulations when you have some time though, because right now all you are doing is demonstrating why it's worthwhile.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Duhr