DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

All this criticism directed at those who fly outside of the FAA regs

CountryGuy

Reactions
Still flying our 3DR drones but have been checking in here from time to time to keep updated on various DJI models as we'll be migrating to that system eventually. One thing I noticed in this forum is that when someone posts details about a particular flight where they're obviously in violation of FAA regulations, that multiple responders quickly point that out. Some gently, others not so gently.

I have to say I find this quite refreshing. I've visited other forums where someone is bragging about their 4k altitude flight, or flying over a dense populations, or flying at night, in heavy fog, etc. etc. and rather than criticism, they get what amounts to praise. "Wow-- that's so COOL!" If someone does take it upon themselves to point out the fact that they're not in compliance, rather than support, they get bashed! Nothing can be accomplished by arguing with these folks so I just leave.

I assume there's a mix of hobbyist and 107 operators here but the overall tone just seems much more professional than other discussion boards I've witnessed.

Welcome to the forum ... An accurate observation as I'm pretty sure we're all here to keep the hobby fun and 'available' to all. It's not going to be much fun if the regulators use Forums like those you describe to regulate the **** out of the sport and stop us flying. So yes - in the main you'll find more curiosity about what the rules mean and where we can and can't fly, rather than how to break rules and gain points for doing so ... Have fun & fly safe ...

I own a couple of solos and a Mavic 2 pro.

I also bounce between these two forum, keeping up on news.

I also pass my Part 107 exam.

I've had a Private Pilot certificate for years and recently got my 107. The FAA regs are there for a reason, sometimes overkill perhaps, but for a reason nevertheless. So yes, I follow them because I feel that I should, not just to avoid getting busted which is probably unlikely unless I o something idiotic like post a video clearly demonstrating violations. Do I think it likely that I will hit a low flying manned aircraft? No. But I try to err on the side of caution. I feel I am a safer pilot for it.

I own a couple of solos and a Mavic 2 pro.

I also bounce between these two forum, keeping up on news.

I also pass my Part 107 exam.

Hello fellow Solo owner & 107 PIC! We have several Solos and a few home builts but as Solos no longer in production, looking at other options going forward. How long do you think you'll be able to fly your Solos?

I've had a Private Pilot certificate for years and recently got my 107. The FAA regs are there for a reason, sometimes overkill perhaps, but for a reason nevertheless. So yes, I follow them because I feel that I should, not just to avoid getting busted which is probably unlikely unless I o something idiotic like post a video clearly demonstrating violations. Do I think it likely that I will hit a low flying manned aircraft? No. But I try to err on the side of caution. I feel I am a safer pilot for it.

I don't completely disagree with those complaining about FAA's overkill with respect to requiring a 107 and the fee/study involved. However I think at the very least the steps required to get one's cert. are important to make commercial operators understand the big picture when it comes to operating their sUAV. Absent the regs it would surely be a real wild west in the sky out there!

I've done "regular" aerial photography for decades-- long before these gizmos starting buzzing around. :)

Reactions: carlrbrugger
I don't completely disagree with those complaining about FAA's overkill with respect to requiring a 107 and the fee/study involved. However I think at the very least the steps required to get one's cert. are important to make commercial operators understand the big picture when it comes to operating their sUAV. Absent the regs it would surely be a real wild west in the sky out there!

I've done "regular" aerial photography for decades-- long before these gizmos starting buzzing around. :)

This is a hot topic from time to time.
Since a part 107 does not give you any extended areas to fly in than part 336 can fly in. And you still must maintain altitudes below manned aircraft minimums, and follow the 336 rules. It is a weak argument at best. With no commercial flight logs required and the only thing separating a "commercial" flight from a hobby flight is "Intent" only known in the head of the pilot. It is completely unenforceable. It needs attention, It needs repair. commercial pilots should be required to keep logs of commercial flights. MANY 107's do that anyway, GOOD FOR THEM!

Hello fellow Solo owner & 107 PIC! We have several Solos and a few home builts but as Solos no longer in production, looking at other options going forward. How long do you think you'll be able to fly your Solos?
I have been flying my solo since they was sold. I own the very first solo that was sold at frys electronic in indianapolis, no issues. I do have spare parts. I love my solo.

I have been flying my solo since they was sold. I own the very first solo that was sold at frys electronic in indianapolis, no issues. I do have spare parts. I love my solo.

Ouch! :confused: Same here. Hate to remind myself just what I paid for my "original" Solo (some time before they even had a gimbal).

me too! I got my second solo with gimbal for the 3rd of the price of my original.

me too! I got my second solo with gimbal for the 3rd of the price of my original.
I plan to keep flying my solo, until I am not able to get any more parts.

I'm not against people who fly outside the FAA regulations as long as they use common sense and don't endanger other persons. Why have you bought a Mavic with a 7km range and HD video transmission if you're going to fly it strictly by Visual Line Of Sight, per example? That doesn't make sense. If you fly by VLOS only, then you have quite frankly wasted your money on the Mavic.

I think that the FAA regulations are very reasonable compared to other countries such as Canada, which renders all flights within 30 meters of any vessel, vehicle, building, animal, or person illegal. However, it's not unreasonable to break some of these FAA regulations in certain situations.

Safety and common sense rule the day...be safe, fly smart

THIS is the point some folks don't see -- Flying a UAS comes with the same responsibility as flying a manned aircraft. WE ARE PILOTS NOT GAMERS.

Really, perhaps you should put some skin in the game. Fly an aircraft with some A-hole putting your life at risk. We will see how your LOL works then.

Really, perhaps you should put some skin in the game. Fly an aircraft with some A-hole putting your life at risk. We will see how your LOL works then.
LOL. Mr High Performance Man, how does getting a piece of paper change ones behavior? "derp I have a license now so i follow the rules". I have hundreds of hours on the track with a Porsche, Mr Performance Man, but that does not mean I follow the rules any more than any other yahoo on the road? Oh but I should put it in my signature even though it is not relevant. Elitists make me want to puke. Your are so complex, not.

Last edited:
Reactions: ac0j
LOL. Mr High Performance Man, how does getting a piece of paper change ones behavior? "derp I have a license now so i follow the rules". I have hundreds of hours on the track with a Porsche, Mr Performance Man, but that does not mean I follow the rules any more than any other yahoo on the road? Oh but I should put it in my signature even though it is not relevant. Elitists make me want to puke. Your are so complex, not.
You sir sound just like an " ELITIST "...mr porsche driver...LOL LOL

Reactions: Heyrob and 787steve
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noobie