DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SkyWatch insurance - terms more strict for full-time coverage than for per-hour?

gnbrotz

Premium Pilot
Reactions
With Verifly on the way out, I've been looking at SkyWatch for liability insurance. I have the potential for a series of jobs for the same client over the summer months, so I was going to do the monthly coverage, rather than by the hour.

At the end of the application process for the full-time coverage is a list of declarations that I must agree to, including the following:
  • Notwithstanding applicable regulations, I confirm that no flights will be conducted (indoors or outdoors) at concerts or other events where large numbers of people are present.
I have already iniated contact with SkyWatch for clear definition of "large numbers of people", but does anyone else have an opinion or exerience with this caveat? By the hour coverage through the app does not include this condition, only that one flies within the defined area and complies with all applicable rules/regulations. Why does the full-time coverage exclude the described type of events, even if you operate in full FAA compliance?

With Verifly on the way out, I've been looking at SkyWatch for liability insurance. I have the potential for a series of jobs for the same client over the summer months, so I was going to do the monthly coverage, rather than by the hour.

At the end of the application process for the full-time coverage is a list of declarations that I must agree to, including the following:

I have already iniated contact with SkyWatch for clear definition of "large numbers of people", but does anyone else have an opinion or exerience with this caveat? By the hour coverage through the app does not include this condition, only that one flies within the defined area and complies with all applicable rules/regulations. Why does the full-time coverage exclude the described type of events, even if you operate in full FAA compliance?
Wait… what? Verifly is on its way out? 😛

• Notwithstanding applicable regulations, I confirm that no flights will be conducted (indoors or outdoors) at concerts or other events where large numbers of people are present.

I think this is a moot point since most of these Mavic Drones have yet to be "Classified". It looks to me that until such classification happens, there is no way to fly over people and be in full 107 compliance.

Has DJI submitted documentation for means of compliance? I still don't know if the Air2s is Class 2 or three. Who knows how many foot-pounds of impact it generates? It looks like the regs got ahead of the compliance.

Does anyone have current info on this issue?

Cheers.

Take a look at AirModo, the newest drone insurance app available. Policies are underwritten by USAIG, one of the longest aviation insurers in the US since 1928. Certificates of insurance are available 24/7 with highly competitive premiums.

Take a look at AirModo, the newest drone insurance app available. Policies are underwritten by USAIG, one of the longest aviation insurers in the US since 1928. Certificates of insurance are available 24/7 with highly competitive premiums.
I ended up with State Farm, after seeing them repeatedly mentioned by other pilots. My closest agent was clueless, but an agent the next down over was better educated and got me squared away with MUCH LESS hassle, limitation and questions than the drone-centric companies set forth. And at a fraction of the "drone insurance" companies.

I don't understand why anyone uses them, and if there's truly a reason to pay so much more and have so many additional hurdles to jump through in the process.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000