DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Almost crashed? What happened here?

timmmm

Reactions
Hi,

While I was flying last week I almost experienced the same but luckily the drone is still allright.

Still I would like to know what happened there so I uploaded the video of my cellphone which has a few seconds of the crash at the end and added the flight logs.

If anyone could have a look and have an idea of what happened, you are very welcome!

Video:

Flight Logs:
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I was thinking the same but you can clearly see the drone turning since it was flying towards the shore and suddenly you get a angled image of the ship again. It was flying in sports mode so maybe a strong wind caused it to behave inappropriate.

Is it possible this was simply the gimbal resetting itself? I had a gimble reset during flight and i really thought i was losing it at the time. The video stops too soon to tell what happens next. You say it crashed but also that it was still OK. Given you were over the ocean at the time, I'm curious as to where it crashed and suffered no or little damage.

Reactions: Mavic 57
Ah, you said "almost crashed", sorry. I quickly looked at your log. I might have missed something but I can see you switching to sport mode and returning home. Still think it was just a gimble reset (not uncommon unfortunately).

The strange thing is, you see it spinning in the video, then the video stops but the logs are not really interrupted.
I think the incident is viewable in the logs at around 9m 22.6s. The video is slightly behind because you start recording some seconds after takeoff. At 9m22.6sec in the logs it shows the stop to 0 mph and switching back to normal flying mode instead of sport for a while. Also, it seems like it nearly lost any altitude while that happened.

Yes I can see the sudden drop to 0 mph. To be honest when my Mavics gimble reset during flight my panic reaction was WTF! and I let go of the controls. At that point the Mavic would have braked to a halt and hovered. I I now know that it was only the camera moving and that the Mavic was still under control.

I really think a gimbal reset.. it is a freaky thing you really think its going down!!

Good news but never under estimate the power of a vessels radars.
I have seen some amazing effects from these things.
Seeing for many miles with a radar does not come without substantial power.

Reactions: jkirk
If I understand your question correctly,yes.
Just search "gimbal resetting in mid flight"

Assuming you were recording in 4K... this was just a gimbal reset right as the video switch over occurred.

Very common Mavic issue. All 3 of my Mavics have done this from time to time. DJI claims this was fixed with a firmware update. Well.

Tons of threads about this, just search the forum or google even. This used to happen to me almost every flight. Now it happens maybe one in twenty. High winds seem to make it more likely, but that’s just an anecdotal observation. And yeah, the first time it happened to me I thought my Mavic was falling out of the sky. Hell, I still think that the instant it happens.

Assuming you were recording in 4K... this was just a gimbal reset right as the video switch over occurred.

Very common Mavic issue. All 3 of my Mavics have done this from time to time. DJI claims this was fixed with a firmware update. Well.

Oh yeah, forget about that aspect of the issue! He’s right there at the max file size too.

Good news but never under estimate the power of a vessels radars.
I have seen some amazing effects from these things.
Seeing for many miles with a radar does not come without substantial power.

I agree....lot of stuff there to whack out the compass & GPS. If the capt had been pouring on the power the stack heat may have barbq'd the bird....LOL!!

Hi,

While I was flying last week I almost experienced the same but luckily the drone is still allright.

Still I would like to know what happened there so I uploaded the video of my cellphone which has a few seconds of the crash at the end and added the flight logs.

If anyone could have a look and have an idea of what happened, you are very welcome!

Video:

Flight Logs:
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
You were kinda pushing it towards the end of the flight, battery cells dropped below 3.7V p/cell (not good for the battery) forced landing ensued.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer