DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alternatives to “Proper” Drone Mats…….

I must have something of a medical 🏥 condition, as I keep leaving drone mats behind…..

The one I lost this morning was right in front of the car: I must have driven over it…….

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could use as a cheap alternative to a “proper” drone mat?

I have used a carpet mat before, but it was too bulky when rolled to easily fit in rucksack 🎒.

I can’t keep buying “proper” mats at c£20 a pop if I keep forgetting them

I had a great day flying this morning - Dawlish and Teignmouth in the UK 🇬🇧 - and forgetting the mat put a damper on things 😢
I do the same thing. I’m on my 4th now. I think a cheap set of extra car mats is a good way to go.

I use a 1mtr square swatch from those carpet sample books, a nice piece of Axminster decorated with emergency services reflective tape, cost - nothing.

Reactions: CJG
I bought a 60cm foldable Reference Reflector from Aliec... for half price as on Amaz...

It fit's nicely in my bag, as I'm usually out on the Motorcycle.

You might want to nail it dowm , but I don't bother.

51DupP+U29L._AC_SX679_.jpg

Reactions: CJG
Multiple matts are available...from a flooring store, rubber samples, tho often heavy, Yoga Mats are light & designed to roll up with 1/2" thick for cushioning. Instead of metal spikes, use plastic tent pegs with grommets attached to any matt...with duck tape. at any camping store. Avoid metal, that may interfere with drone signals. Any welcome door mat. coupla dollars at "Dollar Stores" or any home furnishing stores. Those with writing on them are appreciated by the drone sensors. You want some weight as rotorwash or local wind can lift up a matt. Car foot mats are a great suggestion. A good habit is a "check list" prior to flight. A shut down check list would be appropriate. Check lists should be part of your pre-flight and post flight process for safety and compliance with maintenance etc etc. including inspection of rotor edges, cleaning sensors with canned air or hand squeegee blowers (**** or ear syringes or the made for photographers; Rocket syringes...and not forgetting landing pads.
A lot of wisdom here @Jonathan Atkin

I use foldable car sun shades, the kind with the spring steel rim that fold up. In Arizona there's always 1 or 2 in the car anyway. Set small stones or clods in the corners to hold down in light wind. Silver and reflective makes it easy to see.

Reactions: Torque
After you start you car and before you put it into gear, you must do a proper 360 degree walk-around your vehicle, regardless. Get into this habit and you'll be sure to see anything that is in and around and underneath your vehicle and especially items that you have left on the trunk, roof, and/or hood.
We make this mandatory with our pilots... to the extent they must extend their arm and visually "sweep" the area...

I haven't forgotten my landing pad, but I have left small things behind when hiking. What I do now is never put anything on the ground — everything goes on a small tarp that gets put in my bag last. If the tarp is in my bag, I know I have everything I unpacked.

Maybe the same thing would work for you? Get a tarp big enough to use as a landing pad while you have your bag, water bottle, etc on the tarp. Because your bag is on the tarp it would be harder to forget the tarp when packing up. And tarps are cheap…

carpet tiles are perfect drone mats, look around for construction surplus or old designs that are being discarded