DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alternatives to “Proper” Drone Mats…….

CJG

Reactions
I must have something of a medical 🏥 condition, as I keep leaving drone mats behind…..

The one I lost this morning was right in front of the car: I must have driven over it…….

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could use as a cheap alternative to a “proper” drone mat?

I have used a carpet mat before, but it was too bulky when rolled to easily fit in rucksack 🎒.

I can’t keep buying “proper” mats at c£20 a pop if I keep forgetting them

I had a great day flying this morning - Dawlish and Teignmouth in the UK 🇬🇧 - and forgetting the mat put a damper on things 😢

Reactions: Torque and a2tomm
A foldable table, but on location with <900g drones hand launch is usually the best alternative.

Reactions: CJG
Car floor mat?
That one could get expensive considering the mat loss history thus far :D

How about a proper mat that's bright orange (like a Hoodman)? That would be tough to miss when packing up at each flying site.

That one could get expensive considering the mat loss history thus far :D

How about a proper mat that's bright orange (like a Hoodman)? That would be tough to miss when packing up at each flying site.
Better yet tether the mat to your belt or a belt loop. (It works for my keys lol)
The other beauty is don't leave your glasses (reading) on the car roof :(

Last edited:
Here is a table that I use for commercial work. Harder to leave behind, but no guarantees. Folds in half so easier to transport.
I did not choose the link name. It appears automatically???

Coincidentally, I have left a couple mats behind , myself. Now I force myself to slow down.

Reactions: CJG and umanbean
This may not help if you are outside the USA but here we have a store called Target and Their store bags are heavy weight and no one can miss the bullseye and if you forget it... You go shopping and get a new one... It rolls up and fits easily in the camera bag. It weighs next to nothing but it is thick plastic. I have only practiced taking off from it or landing on it on a hard surface (my deck). I have 4 nails with washers to hold the corners down in fields or the like. If on rock then I don't know if it would stick around... (Duct Tape?)

Attachments

• 20230518_094300.jpg
    20230518_094300.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
I must have something of a medical 🏥 condition, as I keep leaving drone mats behind…..

The one I lost this morning was right in front of the car: I must have driven over it…….

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could use as a cheap alternative to a “proper” drone mat?

I have used a carpet mat before, but it was too bulky when rolled to easily fit in rucksack 🎒.

I can’t keep buying “proper” mats at c£20 a pop if I keep forgetting them

I had a great day flying this morning - Dawlish and Teignmouth in the UK 🇬🇧 - and forgetting the mat put a damper on things 😢
I bought 3 of these small landing pad and glued them to 3 foam carpet squares ,one always lives in my car

Attachments

• my pad.jpg
    my pad.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: CJG
If I'm in my car and flying in an area with long grass or uneven ground then I've often used a car mat. With my Mini 1 I used the FlyMore case - it's big enough to take off and land on. For my Mini 3 Pro I only have a hard case that's a little larger than the drone itself, so that's fine for taking off from but tricky to land on.

I have on occasion just taken off my jacket and spread that on the floor, which works reasonably well :) I guess with a Mini it doesn't have to be as big an area, so there are more options for things that'll do the job.

Reactions: CJG and a2tomm
After you start you car and before you put it into gear, you must do a proper 360 degree walk-around your vehicle, regardless. Get into this habit and you'll be sure to see anything that is in and around and underneath your vehicle and especially items that you have left on the trunk, roof, and/or hood.

Reactions: PunaPhantom
But then he forgets where the car keys are...
That would be me 😁

My take-off pad won't fit in a rucksack but thought I would mention it anyway. Often I take off from the top of a plastic 5 gallon bucket with the metal bale (handle) removed/replaced with a rope, and then hand-catch on landing.... it's bright orange, so hard to forget when packing up.

I keep a lot of flight-related gear in the bucket, but no ferrous metals, so it works great for keeping the drone above any tall grass I might need to take off from, and any ferrous rocks on the ground or hidden metal that might be in the ground or concrete, or under asphalt... works good on dusty or muddy ground also :)

After you start you car and before you put it into gear, you must do a proper 360 degree walk-around your vehicle, regardless. Get into this habit and you'll be sure to see anything that is in and around and underneath your vehicle and especially items that you have left on the trunk, roof, and/or hood.

In a perfect world;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have collected a lot of camping gear over the years because people do not do this when packing up their camp, apparently...

Reactions: MA2 317
Often I take off from the top of a plastic 5 gallon bucket

I use to carry my SPARK in an orange bucket and I purchased a resealable lid for the bucket that I used for my landing pad.

1684430891874.png

Cheapest waterproof case I ever purchased. :D

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4