DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alternatives to “Proper” Drone Mats…….

It would need to be attached to the ground or a really large piece. Cardboard is a bit too light and moves around via the prop wash. Didn’t work for me.
I understand. I use an actual record cover with the record still in it. Thats kind of heavy... Doesnt seem to blow away for me. They are colorful and easy to see from a distance..

Of course I have practically an unlimited amount of trash records I could use... You might have to go to Goodwill and pay $0.25 a record. ;)

Reactions: MA2 317
some old lp record covers in your trunk

Perfect size and the weight of the crappy album inside would work from not flying away.

Probably can find a batch of them in a thrift store.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
I agree with marking your drone case or bag with “don’t forget the landing pad”. Maybe hang one on the mirror like a handycap placard.

Hand launch and hand land every time with both Mavic 2 and mini 3 pro.
I understand. I hand launch my M3 all the time, too. However, it's only when I'm somewhere that I'm forced to take that risk.

Not when I'm somewhere that allows the much safer, consistent, and reliable launch and land scenario.

Reactions: CJG and Torque
Sorry, we didn't take time to check all the responses, but will stick this on the end... again, becuz it is so simple, cheap, and EVERYBODY has them lying around...

...use a single place rubber Car Floor Mat!!

Rgds, NAVMAV

Reactions: CJG
That one could get expensive considering the mat loss history thus far :D

How about a proper mat that's bright orange (like a Hoodman)? That would be tough to miss when packing up at each flying site.
It was bright orange @msinger…….it was in front of the car and I drove over it……

Here is a table that I use for commercial work. Harder to leave behind, but no guarantees. Folds in half so easier to transport.
I did not choose the link name. It appears automatically???

Coincidentally, I have left a couple mats behind , myself. Now I force myself to slow down.
I’m glad I’m not the only one @PHZ: I think we spend so much time handling the high value stuff carefully, that we blank out the low value stuff.

And yes, slow down and - as someone else has said - do a 360 check of the area you have been flying in.

Sorry, we didn't take time to check all the responses, but will stick this on the end... again, becuz it is so simple, cheap, and EVERYBODY has them lying around...

...use a single place rubber Car Floor Mat!!

Rgds, NAVMAV
Thanks @NAVMAV

I need to find a mat that will fold/roll and is rucksack friendly (most of my flying is on hikes in the west of England and South Wales

I understand. I hand launch my M3 all the time, too. However, it's only when I'm somewhere that I'm forced to take that risk.

Not when I'm somewhere that allows the much safer, consistent, and reliable launch and land scenario.
I agree @OJsakila

This may not help if you are outside the USA but here we have a store called Target and Their store bags are heavy weight and no one can miss the bullseye and if you forget it... You go shopping and get a new one... It rolls up and fits easily in the camera bag. It weighs next to nothing but it is thick plastic. I have only practiced taking off from it or landing on it on a hard surface (my deck). I have 4 nails with washers to hold the corners down in fields or the like. If on rock then I don't know if it would stick around... (Duct Tape?)
Great thinking @Salem-Drone

If I'm in my car and flying in an area with long grass or uneven ground then I've often used a car mat. With my Mini 1 I used the FlyMore case - it's big enough to take off and land on. For my Mini 3 Pro I only have a hard case that's a little larger than the drone itself, so that's fine for taking off from but tricky to land on.

I have on occasion just taken off my jacket and spread that on the floor, which works reasonably well :) I guess with a Mini it doesn't have to be as big an area, so there are more options for things that'll do the job.
These are all great ideas @RichR.

This is a great idea!

Reactions: MA2 317
After you start you car and before you put it into gear, you must do a proper 360 degree walk-around your vehicle, regardless. Get into this habit and you'll be sure to see anything that is in and around and underneath your vehicle and especially items that you have left on the trunk, roof, and/or hood.
This is really is great advice @mavic3usa

Thanks @NAVMAV

I need to find a mat that will fold/roll and is rucksack friendly (most of my flying is on hikes in the west of England and South Wales
Multiple matts are available...from a flooring store, rubber samples, tho often heavy, Yoga Mats are light & designed to roll up with 1/2" thick for cushioning. Instead of metal spikes, use plastic tent pegs with grommets attached to any matt...with duck tape. at any camping store. Avoid metal, that may interfere with drone signals. Any welcome door mat. coupla dollars at "Dollar Stores" or any home furnishing stores. Those with writing on them are appreciated by the drone sensors. You want some weight as rotorwash or local wind can lift up a matt. Car foot mats are a great suggestion. A good habit is a "check list" prior to flight. A shut down check list would be appropriate. Check lists should be part of your pre-flight and post flight process for safety and compliance with maintenance etc etc. including inspection of rotor edges, cleaning sensors with canned air or hand squeegee blowers (**** or ear syringes or the made for photographers; Rocket syringes...and not forgetting landing pads.

Reactions: CJG
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4