DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alternatives to the Smart Controller

Thanks for letting me know your positive experience with the exact approach that I plan. I’m avoiding any DJI controller that has a screen. I just found a Pro 8 like new and could save $100. What is your take on TriplTek reliability and whether it would be prudent to buy a used one? I could test it. Seller says the only app he even installed was DJI.
Thanks again for this most helpful reply.
I have had no problems with reliability with my 7" Pro. I am receiving my Tripltek Pro 8 tomorrow and purchased used. I don't think it will be an issue.

Again, not as convenient as having that second wheel, but you get it done.
Thanks again for these two additional comments. I see. Not as convenient but I can manage it. I am about 2 weeks out for my purchase. Thinking Air 2s Flymore with RC-N1 and TriplTek Pro8. Oh my last question would be about getting LAANC authorizations on a tablet like TriplTek. I ask bc Ive only flown old school with Taranis controlle before. The second part of the authorizations query is that apparently DJI Geo Fence or ? its called objects even in a free-to-fly airspace like non-E2 class E, and I wonder how easy that is to overcome. I think Smart controller was easy for that--but its all foreign to me.

I was having the very common problem of unwatchable screen on my phone in the sunlight. I was counseled to splurge and buy the Tripltek 8. I'm very glad I did because I can now see what's going on. Sure, you have to still void direct sun on the screen, but it's no longer an ordeal seeing what's happening. it's also much easier to use the on screen controls

yeah, it's kind of heavy but a good mounting bracket with a neck strap solves that problem

one bug with the Android OS I've found is that the flight data in the profiles seems locked on metric...can't switch it to imperial, apparently. Minor nuisance though

Thanks again for these two additional comments. I see. Not as convenient but I can manage it. I am about 2 weeks out for my purchase. Thinking Air 2s Flymore with RC-N1 and TriplTek Pro8. Oh my last question would be about getting LAANC authorizations on a tablet like TriplTek. I ask bc Ive only flown old school with Taranis controlle before. The second part of the authorizations query is that apparently DJI Geo Fence or ? its called objects even in a free-to-fly airspace like non-E2 class E, and I wonder how easy that is to overcome. I think Smart controller was easy for that--but its all foreign to me.
The Tipltek is an Android device. Recommend you download the Aloft app for LAANC approvals. I don't have a data plan on mine, but utilizing wifi through phone or car Hotspot. Works well. As for DJI unlock authorizations, check on the Fly app to see if where you are flying will require an unlock. I choose to do this a couple of days in advance and complete it through DJI'S website. Requires a little upfront planning, but I find it easier. I would also suggest if you aren't familiar with the steps involved, search for a YouTube video from pilot Institute on unlocking DJI fly zones. Hope you find this helpful.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive