DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alternatives to the Smart Controller

Kelpfish

Reactions
Hey everyone,

My DJI Smartcontroller for my MP2 crashes now every minute or so. Did all the diagnostics DJI asked of me and nothing worked. I’m sending the unit back to them for assessment but if that does not do the trick, I would not buy another one, new or used.

That brings me to my question. What is a good way to now control my MP2? What controller is compatible and which tablet would you recommend? Would you still use the DJI app or some other software? Other than the Go4 app would I need to load some kind of operating firmware on the tablet? Is the tablet used as a touch screen control like the Smart Controller? And finally, do I lose any features by moving away from the Smart Controller?

Appreciate any guidance on the switch.

joe

Reactions: Kelpfish
As MavicHelp said your only other option to the smart controller is using a Mavic 2 Standard Controller with a phone or tablet of your choice. The advantages of the standard controller include generally more range and less connection issues than the smart controller. You can also use a large tablet which many find easier to frame shots and fly with than the smaller screen of the smart controller. The onscreen controls work exactly the same s you are used to... some of the buttons on the controller are different.

The advantages of the smart controller are the fast set-up for flight and an ultra bright screen which only a few tablets can rival.

Hey everyone,

My DJI Smartcontroller for my MP2 crashes now every minute or so. Did all the diagnostics DJI asked of me and nothing worked. I’m sending the unit back to them for assessment but if that does not do the trick, I would not buy another one, new or used.

That brings me to my question. What is a good way to now control my MP2? What controller is compatible and which tablet would you recommend? Would you still use the DJI app or some other software? Other than the Go4 app would I need to load some kind of operating firmware on the tablet? Is the tablet used as a touch screen control like the Smart Controller? And finally, do I lose any features by moving away from the Smart Controller?

joe
I would highly recommend the Tripltek pro 8 for a tablet. It is geared toward drone users with a very bright display and durable construction. I have the smart controller that I use with my MA2, but opted for the Tripltek option with my M3 with no regrets.

Reactions: Kelpfish and Gary R
Hey everyone,

joe
I'm assuming you are talking about a Mavic 2 Pro (M2P), which is basically the same as the M2Z like have. My smart controller works perfectly and has never crashed. Other than regular updates and the Litchi app, mine is basically exactly as it came from DJI 2 and a half years ago. I'm sure they had you go through it and made sure it was clear of junk and so on, therefore it must be a failure of a part in the controller. Hopefully they can figure it out and repair or replace it.

Hey everyone,

joe
I love not needing to take or use a phone

But after this last upgrade the record button will not work at all
It toggles to camera mode and I have never had this problem before
Have you tried your record button after the last update?

I love not needing to take or use a phone

But after this last upgrade the record button will not work at all
It toggles to camera mode and I have never had this problem before
Have you tried your record button after the last update?
May have been an update better left alone?

I'm assuming you are talking about a Mavic 2 Pro (M2P), which is basically the same as the M2Z like have. My smart controller works perfectly and has never crashed. Other than regular updates and the Litchi app, mine is basically exactly as it came from DJI 2 and a half years ago. I'm sure they had you go through it and made sure it was clear of junk and so on, therefore it must be a failure of a part in the controller. Hopefully they can figure it out and repair or replace it.
Yessir, the Mavic 2 Pro indeed. They have tried two repairs/replacements, both failed.

I would highly recommend the Tripltek pro 8 for a tablet. It is geared toward drone users with a very bright display and durable construction. I have the smart controller that I use with my MA2, but opted for the Tripltek option with my M3 with no regrets.
I like the 8-inch size of that tablet. Was the set up fairly straight forward? I see they have dropped their price by $100, so me thinks they have a new version coming out.

Last edited:
I am done with my Smart Controller. They sent me a new one and it also is junk. So I am in the "find a new solution" mode.
Problems with RC Pro brought me here. I returned it for refund. Like you I’m looking for a reliable alternative while avoiding the Smart and RC Pro. I’m thinkng of getting Air 2s, RC-N1 and TriplTek Pro 8, although some said they used a Samsung tablet I had to wonder if that any bette than my iPad which lose brightness and run hot. What did you decide?

Problems with RC Pro brought me here. I returned it for refund. Like you I’m looking for a reliable alternative while avoiding the Smart and RC Pro. I’m thinkng of getting Air 2s, RC-N1 and TriplTek Pro 8, although some said they used a Samsung tablet I had to wonder if that any bette than my iPad which lose brightness and run hot. What did you decide?
I use the RC-N1 and a Tripltek 7. Its a great combo. I am upgrading to the Tripltek 8 for the larger screen size and lighter weight but overall no problems. No other tablet that can be used with the Air 2s comes close for brightness. No overheating problems and the battery lasts forever.

I owned the RC Pro for a short while but sold it because of the small screen size. I would love to have the second scroll wheel and a couple of programable buttons however the large bright screen of the Tripltek is priceless and the RC-N1 works reliably. The Tripltek works with my older Phantom and Skydio as well which makes it more versatile.

I use the RC-N1 and a Tripltek 7. Its a great combo. I am upgrading to the Tripltek 8 for the larger screen size and lighter weight but overall no problems. No other tablet that can be used with the Air 2s comes close for brightness. No overheating problems and the battery lasts forever.

I owned the RC Pro for a short while but sold it because of the small screen size. I would love to have the second scroll wheel and a couple of programable buttons however the large bright screen of the Tripltek is priceless and the RC-N1 works reliably. The Tripltek works with my older Phantom and Skydio as well which makes it more versatile.
Thanks for letting me know your positive experience with the exact approach that I plan. I’m avoiding any DJI controller that has a screen. I just found a Pro 8 like new and could save $100. What is your take on TriplTek reliability and whether it would be prudent to buy a used one? I could test it. Seller says the only app he even installed was DJI.
Thanks again for this most helpful reply.

Thanks for letting me know your positive experience with the exact approach that I plan. I’m avoiding any DJI controller that has a screen. I just found a Pro 8 like new and could save $100. What is your take on TriplTek reliability and whether it would be prudent to buy a used one? I could test it. Seller says the only app he even installed was DJI.
Thanks again for this most helpful reply.

I also opted for the standard remote RC-N1 with a Tripltek 8 pro and very happy with the set up. Like Saladshooter commented, large bright screen and long battery life. Also miss the extra thumb wheel and function buttons that is on my Smart Controller with my MA 2, but hoping DJI comes up with an upgraded standard remote with the extra wheel and can stay with my Tripltek.

Thank you R.Cowan! Oh right, the Air 2s can zoom in video mode. How do you handle the zoom without the hardware wheel?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro