DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller - Prelaoding Maps

EricJT

Reactions
Any ideas how to bulk load maps into the Smart Controller other than the painful one small segment at a time? Trying to to find out if another forum member has figured out a simpler solution. TIA.

Can you expound on what it is your asking...as in "Bulk load"? When the Smart Controller loads maps it does it by the settings you have map view preference you have set...such as I use the highest Hybrid view with road name overlay. It takes it much longer using data stream available to load out of the given screen view of the map.

What I do is post flight while indoor with home wifi and going to be flying from home. Turn all systems on then zoom map in all the way and then scroll the map around till whole screen loads from section to section out from home point.

I have never noticed this takes too long as the flying area isn't several miles or anything like that. Certainly two or three scrolls per screen size out in any direction is more than enough? If I zoom map back out to a extended view my maps are loaded several miles out in about a minute of loading them..I would think that it is dependent on Data stream speed available, more than anything else. As really just time will out load screen view without scrolling around as I mentioned.

If your asking how to preload for a off site I used to know the procedure, but would have to research it again to be accurate. Same goes for preloading offline maps.

Thanks....I should have been more clear....when I fly, my sites could be anywhere in a 1,600 sq km area....I tend to look for new and interesting areas where I may not have been before.

I know how to preload maps on the SC, but given the area I may end up in, I may not have that area loaded on the SC.

So rather than loading one segment at a time at home, is there a quicker approach? I know I could use my cell phone as a WiFi hotspot in the field, but that takes time away from flying.

Sounds like you want to download ‘offline maps’ for use when you’re not near WiFi, this is for the original smart controller? As far as I know, this isn’t possible. But I feel your pain on loading those maps. I try to do my homework before I go out to the field and if I’m using my SC, I’ll switch the map display to the standard view instead of using the satellite imagery. That takes much less time to download and display in the field.

Sounds like you want to download ‘offline maps’ for use when you’re not near WiFi, this is for the original smart controller? As far as I know, this isn’t possible. But I feel your pain on loading those maps. I try to do my homework before I go out to the field and if I’m using my SC, I’ll switch the map display to the standard view instead of using the satellite imagery. That takes much less time to download and display in the field.
You are correct....loading pieces at a time is slow and tedious. My cell phone provider just gave me much more monthly data, so I guess I will start using my phone as a hotspot and load the map(s) in the field. Thx.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4