DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude Limited to 90 Feet

BamaBomber

Reactions
Hey guys,
I find myself in need of your wisdom once more. Tonight, I got home from work, got the MA2 and SC out for a maiden flight. Everything was going perfect for the first 30 seconds, then as I was trying to increase my altitude, it wouldn’t allow me to go above 92-93 feet. I quickly went into the settings, thinking maybe I had entered the wrong data somehow. However, my max alt was still set at 397 feet. I brought her back down, put her back up, and the same thing. Have you guys ever encountered this? I also own the MP1 and MM2, neither ever gave me this problem. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey guys,
I find myself in need of your wisdom once more. Tonight, I got home from work, got the MA2 and SC out for a maiden flight. Everything was going perfect for the first 30 seconds, then as I was trying to increase my altitude, it wouldn’t allow me to go above 92-93 feet. I quickly went into the settings, thinking maybe I had entered the wrong data somehow. However, my max alt was still set at 397 feet. I brought her back down, put her back up, and the same thing. Have you guys ever encountered this? I also own the MP1 and MM2, neither ever gave me this problem. Thanks in advance for your help.
Hi. You have to do a search on this forum. A lot of people, including myself have the same issue. Max altitude & distance.A lot of settings, logins, need to be checked and adjusted. It is somehow a bug in the software. I have the same problem with my iPhone+RC. If I start up everything without cellular on...Problem is solved... I really tried everything. But you have the SC??? That's something different.... check this forum & dji own forum.. PS Be sure to check that you are NOT in the beginners modus.

Reactions: BamaBomber
This is related to the mobile network. Kill the WiFi connection with the smartphone and it will (probably) work.
The Smart Controller doesn't have a mobile network?????? Nor a WiFi connection normally in a flight area unless one is hot spotted to it so there is no smartphone in this issue. Sounds more like the setup isn't logged into a DJI Account, but for what reason as compared to the other known issue of canceling the WiFi.

I have the SC and have never had a log out once logged in. So to the OP, Log out of DJI on the SC, then log back in....see if that captures and the issue is gone. And of course if you never logged into your DJI Account then do that. :p

Last edited:
Why the bunch of question marks? (???) :)

Of course the smart controller is connected to the internet. It has to be for all the updates pushed by DJI.

So, if you use the phone to keep the internet feed to the smart controler, try disconnecting the controler from the phone.

It could also be that there is no smart controler into the picture to begin with.

Hey guys,
I think every time I have seen this answered, it has been because they were not logged into their dji account with the controller. Once logged in, all was good.

Also if it has not pulled enough satellites yet, it is locked at max 96 feet height until it gets those sats. If you don't hear "Betty" say that Home Point has been set / etc - then you don't have a sat lock - so it will only have that ceiling and can only fly something like 250 feet away (horizontal).

Have to check the little sat / GPS icon in upper right corner of screen (at least on a phone / tablet). If the sat incon is red - drone goes virtually nowhere.

I encounter this ALL the time flying in the mountains and doing waterfalls where a lot of tree cover or just being in a low spot does not immediately connect. Once I get the drone up to 96 feet and in the clear - then Betty typically replies Home Point has been set and I know GPS lock in. Issue you have to be aware of is Home Point is RTH point if something happens and if you flew 200 feet out away from you to get up and a lock - then that is where the drone will RTH to - not to where you took off from.

My experience:

20+ satellites locked
10 different locations in 3 different cities.
Logged in an out of the account 100 times.

No success. I was at the point of returning the drone and buy an Autel instead.

Then DJI came back with the phone put in airplane mode advice.

Turned the iphone to airplane mode -> zero problems ever since.

Every time I forget to do that -> 30 meters limit.

So just try the airplane mode and let us know.

Reactions: Thomas B
Hey guys,
Mine does that too quite often if you logout of your account and log back into your account it'll give you full flight access

Reactions: Thomas B
The Smart Controller doesn't have a mobile network?????? Nor a WiFi connection normally in a flight area unless one is hot spotted to it so there is no smartphone in this issue. Sounds more like the setup isn't logged into a DJI Account, but for what reason as compared to the other known issue of canceling the WiFi.

I have the SC and have never had a log out once logged in. So to the OP, Log out of DJI on the SC, then log back in....see if that captures and the issue is gone. And of course if you never logged into your DJI Account then do that. :p
I’ve logged out of the fly app and back in. When I get home from work tonight I’ll put her back up in the air and see if this helped. I’ll update once I’ve done so. Thanks for the suggestion

My experience:

20+ satellites locked
10 different locations in 3 different cities.
Logged in an out of the account 100 times.

No success. I was at the point of returning the drone and buy an Autel instead.

Then DJI came back with the phone put in airplane mode advice.

Turned the iphone to airplane mode -> zero problems ever since.

Every time I forget to do that -> 30 meters limit.

So just try the airplane mode and let us know.
Hi. To be loud and clear. The airplane modus is also the trick for me. I’ve also tried all the login and logout tricks without success.
BUT. This thread is about the Smart Controller from DJI. This controller has no cellular ....

I'll do that when I get home from work. And Semper Fi!

I think every time I have seen this answered, it has been because they were not logged into their dji account with the controller. Once logged in, all was good.
I am logged in. I logged out and back in shortly before leaving for work. When I get home, I'll put it back in the air to see it that remedied the situation.

Also if it has not pulled enough satellites yet, it is locked at max 96 feet height until it gets those sats. If you don't hear "Betty" say that Home Point has been set / etc - then you don't have a sat lock - so it will only have that ceiling and can only fly something like 250 feet away (horizontal).

Have to check the little sat / GPS icon in upper right corner of screen (at least on a phone / tablet). If the sat incon is red - drone goes virtually nowhere.

I encounter this ALL the time flying in the mountains and doing waterfalls where a lot of tree cover or just being in a low spot does not immediately connect. Once I get the drone up to 96 feet and in the clear - then Betty typically replies Home Point has been set and I know GPS lock in. Issue you have to be aware of is Home Point is RTH point if something happens and if you flew 200 feet out away from you to get up and a lock - then that is where the drone will RTH to - not to where you took off from.
I had 18 satellites. Could it have something to do with the vision sensors? It was at night time when it occurred.

Hey Guys, just wanted to update you. Prior to leaving for work, I logged out of DJI Fly and logged back in. Just came home from my beat about 2 hours ago. I took the MA2 out and put her up again.. No issues this time. Thanks to all of you for your readiness to help and the knowledge you shared! Hope you all have an amazing weekend.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S