DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Oregon

The circle, you thing that is where it is?
All these new models, Is it white or black?
That also looks like a Spruce tree?

Judging the fence which normally is 6', when i noticed the top of the house, I was at 24'. two story house like that, must be at-least 40' ?
Somebody might correct me on that.

Addition, if it is still flashing, and if you can connect to it, you maybe get the correct height.
You might be able to start the props?

Ignore any negative stuff.
The ones that offers help, they are the ones that care. :) 👌

What really sucks, you are not allowed on the property?

Rod ..
The circle is where I know it is. I saw it flashing last night.
It doesn't have power anymore so I can't get the height.

The house is on the same ground level as the fence, maybe 12" higher. The fence is a good measure though. Especially since I'm so far away from it, it's not going to distort in scale.

OK, so I did that and the drone will be, if I have the location right, exactly 35 feet up. The peak of the roof is 22-23 feet. That tracks with the construction around here. 8.5 foot ceilings on the main level. 2X10 joists, 8 foot vaulted ceilings.

If I could see it, I could make a 35 foot hollow aluminum pole (I have all the materials to do it) and get it down by poking at it. BUT, I can't see it.

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
I have some other ideas, but still related to your pole.

I'm missing, you can or cannot go on to that property?

Is that a spruce tree?

Rod ..

I have some other ideas, but still related to your pole.

I'm missing, you can or cannot go on to that property?

Is that a spruce tree?

Rod ..
I don't know if it's a spruce tree, I just know that looking at it from the underside it has more branches than I've ever seen on a tree. No path to the top at all. The pole was getting hung up at the first 10 feet.

I can't go on their property without them there. Even then, the wife, apparently, thinks I was peeping on people. OK, maybe she doesn't but she mentioned it.
I'd have to go up on their house to see it, though.

• Wow
FWIW, my son has already lectured me on the FAA stuff. He's quite knowledgeable on the subject. A little too knowledgeable sometimes. It's his job.
Do not take your son's lecture too lightly. If that drone does fall and it injuries anybody or by chance cracks a windshield on a car or causes other property damage, (in excess of $500), the FAA will get deeply involved (you can ask you son just how serious that would be then…) and do not expect your home insurance policy to cover anything as you were flying illegally (without a TRUST Certificate and flying at night without anti-collision lights). It's not so funny anymore, is it?

I would seriously consider hiring a company, probably a tree cutting service, with a "cherry picker" to retrieve the drone. You would also have to clear it with the homeowner or management company.

Reactions: wjkrysak and RodPad
Tree Trimming service has been contacted. Their home location is only a mile away.
That's one of the three services that a drone pilot should keep in the Rolodex.

The other two is a rock climber and a scuba diver.

@Bad Santa
Now I get the full picture!
Sounds like you got something going!

Blue Spruce trees look really cool, but you need to wear gloves

@LoudThunder
Yes I agree, you need to think of the what if?

When I see this videos there flying over an interstate and over where two meet, OMG!

Follow the rules and laws you will be covered legally.
Sill there is a level of command sense.

Santa,
I and LT?, are not making fun of you, we are taking over your thread. :)

Let us know what happens. Thumbswayup👌

Rod ..

First update.

This will be an expensive lesson.

I can't see the drone in the tree. It's too dense to climb.
I have a few options.

1) Place a sign and wait for nature to bring it down, hoping it's not destroyed by the elements and whoever finds it is honest enough to return it.
2) Hire someone with a reach lift to retrieve it.
3) Write it off as a lesson learned, buy a replacement and new battery at a cost of almost $700
Put a Craig’s List ad out for a tree climber? I guess they should be insured though in case they bounce while ‘employed’ by you. I used to tree climb working for the forest service- we used tree climbing ladders which are sectional and climb with you. They are much safer than free climbing or spurring a tree. I’d think Cabellas has some for hunters- maybe someone there has them? There is also a group that climbs trees to save stuck cats and they have a national website with members all over the US- many just ask for a $100 donation. I’ll see if I can find their link.

Here it is- looks like there’s quite a few listed in the Portland area: Directory of Resources – Cat in a Tree Emergency Rescue

Last edited:
If I had more time (It's raining Wednesday) I would have loved to explore the cat rescue list.
Instead, I am paying a moron tax that is, in a way, ridiculous. I don't mind paying for time, and someone had to buy the truck, but what it's costing seems a little high. But, I agreed to pay it and it's still less (by a small margin) than replacing the drone.
They were the only ones that replied to my pleas, so I suppose beggars can't also be choosers.

I haven't got it back yet so I don't know the condition. That will be fun to explore.

Hum, I was kind of thinking $$$.00.

You might look for a Arborist, that does climb. I have heard they are amazing. But I have feeling you stated how thick the branches were, Probably not happening.
I worked with my Grandpa a for about 4 years, growing, sheering selling x-mas tress.

Just thinking, I can't stay away from trees. :rolleyes::rolleyes:👌

Rod ..

Well, the tree guy went to get the Mini and had to bring his 60' boom truck. Wasn't cheap.
He spotted the thing really quick, I'm told, but it took him well over an hour to get it.
Why?
Well, it turns out I'm a great pilot if I want to cause problems.
I managed to drop it right on top of a giant hornet/wasp nest. An active one. On a warm day.
Apparently he was swarmed right away and had to abandon the quest.
Lucky for him I had picked that company because it was close by. He had to go back to the shop to get a bee suit. Yes, they have them on hand. I can't imagine a tree company that wouldn't have one.
On his second trip he managed to get it pretty quick. Probably a good thing as the hornets would have incorporated the drone into their nest in a matter of a couple weeks.
But, it's been recovered.

And, well, the damage is rather impressive.

Absolutely NO damage that I can see. Looks like it came out of the box and flew for 30 seconds.

I took it for another night flight, this time over the trees...

OK, I didn't. I'm not quite THAT stupid.

I'll test it out sometime this week. It's going to rain tomorrow. I don't know how water resistant these are. I'll have to look into that.

1727236382782.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr