DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude zone

PVCRalph

Reactions
I live in a Class D air space, With LAANC I was always allowed to Fly to an altitude of 300 feet. After not flying at home for about 3 months I decided fly yesterday got my LAANC set MAX ALT to 290 feet and took off and found I could only get to 196 feet ... noticed ALTITUDE ZONE said 60 meters. I did some research and found info about unlocking my zone, the map says that I am in a warning zone ... I don't feels I should be having to go through this BS.

the think getting thru unlocking procedure you have to have a PHD.

I don't see many threads about this maybe its me but this hobby is getting very frustrating. I just wanted to fly around the house for a few minutes for fun and it turned into aggravation.
anyone else have this problem??

Please excuse any errors I don't post often... Thanks

Reactions: PHZ and twickers14
If it gets to be too much, look into getting an Autel drone that maybe doesn't have as much restrictions.

Reactions: Cafguy
If you " just want to" fly around and have fun"- You are going about that in a very expensive way for sure.
I love my DJI BUT It sounds to me like you need an FPV or FPV style of Drone and they are MUCH cheaper than a DJI Camera Drones and WAY MORE versatile when controlling ( you can Loop and Flip These Drone and thats not happening with a Camera Drone) you can get a complete FPV drone with drone, goggles, and controller for 300 Bucks- and that little drone ZIPS! TOO Much fun !!! PLUS you can crash it hard ALL day and it will keep flying time after time!

Personally, I think a leisurely stroll over my property and the adjoining non-habitated large-acreage properties all around me is fun.... lots of creeks, ponds, swamps, and one large lake within VLOS. Large pastures with cows, occasional clearings in the woods with cabins... exploring is fun. You don't have to be going 100 mph doing flips and whatnot to have fun. My Tello will do flips in the living room, but ask me when's the last time I've done a flip.

Personally, I think a leisurely stroll over my property and the adjoining non-habitated large-acreage properties all around me is fun.... lots of creeks, ponds, swamps, and one large lake within VLOS. Large pastures with cows, occasional clearings in the woods with cabins... exploring is fun. You don't have to be going 100 mph doing flips and whatnot to have fun. My Tello will do flips in the living room, but ask me when's the last time I've done a flip.
LOVE my little Tellos fun to race in the Parking lot.

Reactions: Torque
I live in a Class D air space, With LAANC I was always allowed to Fly to an altitude of 300 feet. After not flying at home for about 3 months I decided fly yesterday got my LAANC set MAX ALT to 290 feet and took off and found I could only get to 196 feet ... noticed ALTITUDE ZONE said 60 meters. I did some research and found info about unlocking my zone, the map says that I am in a warning zone ... I don't feels I should be having to go through this BS.

the think getting thru unlocking procedure you have to have a PHD.

I don't see many threads about this maybe its me but this hobby is getting very frustrating. I just wanted to fly around the house for a few minutes for fun and it turned into aggravation.
anyone else have this problem??

Please excuse any errors I don't post often... Thanks
The ends of an airport runway are where the altitude zones begin. They are the grey 'fan' shaped graphics you'll see on the fly safe map. The inner zone is capped at 196', the outer zone (widest end of the 'fan') capped at about 490'. They extend a couple of miles further out from the airport FRZ. This is to ensure aircraft taking off and landing have safe and clear airspace. I live very close to an international airport and the altitude zones have affected quite a few of my flights, if you are outside the airport red NFZ and want to fly in the alt. zone: notify ATC of intent, tell them who you are: where, when and how high you intend to fly, let them give you the okay and stay under the capped altitude... Most airports will grant permission to fly just outside (red)RED NFZ But these end-of-runway areas are where commercial aircraft are at their most vulnerable.

Hi,
I had similar issues when trying to take off from my driveway. A friend of mine suggested loading the software from No Limit Drones. i now have no NFZ's BUT it is incumbent upon me to be safe and fly safe. I think if i want to fly under 100 feet and chase my dogs around the yard i am not interfering with any airspace.

The ends of an airport runway are where the altitude zones begin. They are the grey 'fan' shaped graphics you'll see on the fly safe map. The inner zone is capped at 196', the outer zone (widest end of the 'fan') capped at about 490'. They extend a couple of miles further out from the airport FRZ. This is to ensure aircraft taking off and landing have safe and clear airspace. I live very close to an international airport and the altitude zones have affected quite a few of my flights, if you are outside the airport red NFZ and want to fly in the alt. zone: notify ATC of intent, tell them who you are: where, when and how high you intend to fly, let them give you the okay and stay under the capped altitude... Most airports will grant permission to fly just outside (red)RED NFZ But these end-of-runway areas are where commercial aircraft are at their most vulnerable.
Seems like a lot of people are still confused about this . . .
If you cannot use a LAANC request for your mission, you need to file a 107.41 airspace authorization in FAA DroneZone. You don't just tell the tower you are going to be flying, that is not an airspace authorization.

I hold 9 different authorizations personally, and all of them (except one of the wide area authorizations) require contacting the tower at various timeframes before and after and giving various levels of information. For a regular one in class D they may literally just ask you to call the tower at some phone number 15 minutes before the operation, give your name, altitude, and flight location, and then call again once you are finished.

Reactions: MajorTom2020
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne