DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

altitude

Patching is for earlier models. Use battery type 3, set low battery percent to 10. You'll still get the low battery warning at 10% but it won't auto land. The M2 seems to limit descent rate at critical battery levels which is really dumb. Fly with caution.

So let me ask you this. If I use dji assistant and modify the mavic battery type to 3 on my mavic 2 pro, do I still need to patch it with the link you provided or is that for other drones?

Patching is for earlier models. Use battery type 3, set low battery percent to 10. You'll still get the low battery warning at 10% but it won't auto land. The M2 seems to limit descent rate at critical battery levels which is really dumb. Fly with caution.
Will it still return to home if battery low? Or is that disabled too. About how much flight time is gained by setting battery to type 3?

The AC won't try to return to home early. Not sure if low battery RTH works as I've never used it. Flight time gain is only the power wasted fighting auto landing. And not potentially crashing.
Will it still return to home if battery low? Or is that disabled too. About how much flight time is gained by setting battery to type 3?

I have noticed that the last 20% of battery drain when flying (even in dead calm) goes much faster than the rest of battery life, and accelerates, especially below 10%. If you are farther than 300-400’ away when you get the warning from a 10% setting there is a very high probability that your drone will never reach home point and may force a landing in an unsafe place... road, water, someone’s house that you don’t know, etc.
also as batteries age this effect accelerates slowly.
Personally I would never set my RTH below 25% battery, and I watch battery life very closely on longer flights as winds may accelerate the above.
Just my $0.02

What are you flying? The M2 will go over 2km in landing mode. Coming in with a tailwind I've seen over 3km.

I have noticed that the last 20% of battery drain when flying (even in dead calm) goes much faster than the rest of battery life, and accelerates, especially below 10%. If you are farther than 300-400’ away when you get the warning from a 10% setting there is a very high probability that your drone will never reach home point and may force a landing in an unsafe place... road, water, someone’s house that you don’t know, etc.
also as batteries age this effect accelerates slowly.
Personally I would never set my RTH below 25% battery, and I watch battery life very closely on longer flights as winds may accelerate the above.
Just my $0.02

What are you flying? The M2 will go over 2km in landing mode. Coming in with a tailwind I've seen over 3km
Glad to here it, but my M2P batteries act as I described above... Why I can’t advise anyone to set RTH to 10%. I have found it better to get the warning at 25-30% battery. Then I can take appropriate action to get home depending on the situation.

Glad to here it, but my M2P batteries act as I described above... Why I can’t advise anyone to set RTH to 10%. I have found it better to get the warning at 25-30% battery. Then I can take appropriate action to get home depending on the situation.
I think that is depending of what you are intending to do. Example: When flying to the clouds coming back is not so battery consuming as flying horizontially. So I set RTH and landing to announce only, going in the wide is as you wrote I really have to pay attention because of changing winds to come back.
For altitude flights you have to try how much the MP is consuming for the descent.If there is not much drifting away (low wind) it is better to go down in gps mode, descending slow. Rotors will turn driven by the blowing air and only corrections in speed and direction will consume battery. Descending from 4000m you need about 30% or even fewer of your battery capacity.
Going down in sport mode consumption is about the double. Only cutting the motors is more battery saving but it is more dangerous as I thought: I lost a drone because the MP turned upside down in free fall and I could not reverse it the time resting.

It was not dangerous for other people because such flights I always do over open water. So now fishes can try to fly a drone...and I dont make no longer free falls...

Last edited:
You are wrong. Manual mode is the best way to descend quickly and maintain directional control. It's not much different than flying FPV.
If you can see the bird: yes, if not: no.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78