DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am I a wuss ?

Sometimes , you just need confidence in your drone.
Let it hover for 3 ft high for as long it can before landing
Move it up to 10 ft - 50 ft -100 ft - 200 ft 400 ft , in just the hover position.

Once you have confidence in your drone and how it lands, than work on using the RTH .

Once you have gained some confidence in the drone , flying will be much easier for you.
Today the only time I like to fly is when its raining , because than the adventure comes back for me. :p

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain.
Maybe in a few years I can get up to rain standard ?

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Ok so I’m new I get it but how many of you lot actually lose your legs when starting this flying thing. What’s wrong with me I can hardly send her 10 feet without falling into a jibbering wreck?
Just do your early flying out in the open, well away from trees, buildings and other obstacles.
It's very, very difficult to get into trouble when there's nothing to hit.

Ok so I’m new I get it but how many of you lot actually lose your legs when starting this flying thing. What’s wrong with me I can hardly send her 10 feet without falling into a jibbering wreck?

Will this feeling pass, I can’t remembefeeling this bad on my driving test!!!

Maybe it’s an age thing
When I purchased my first Phantom 2 , it sat in its box for about 6 weeks before I plucked up courage to fly it. Took it to my local Rugby Stadium (Pontypridd) and very cautiously took off, tried all the controls, flew forward backward up and down then came the big question can I land the flipping thing without crashing. I did and I now own an Inpire, a Phantom 4 Pro, a Mavic 2 Pro and now the mini 2, so must be lucky because I have never crashed or landed hard and think that it’s because I flew every chance I had and practised every manoeuvre that was available, always in VLOS and never very fast , so think I managed ok. So will you with practice and keep reading on this forum, cheers Len

Mod Removed Language), I still get nervous. Not nearly as bad, but it's still there. Flying a 1000 dollar machine or my other 2,000 dollar one, is a little disconcerting. I notice I shake a little every time I fly the things, and I've been flying for 2 years. But it gives me a thrill, so I still fly. It's like taking a risk and getting away with it. Then you feel exhilarated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: vindibona1
If attempting to fly the mini 2 causes wobbly legs and lack of sleep, after reading the manual at least, maybe the thing to do is to have a shot. Calm your nerves, take your equipment, ram it up her *** (the battery), take off and have 20 min of fun in your yard. Then sleep like a baby.

If attempting to fly the mini 2 causes wobbly legs and lack of sleep, after reading the manual at least, maybe the thing to do is to have a shot. Calm your nerves, take your equipment, ram it up her *** (the battery), take off and have 20 min of fun in your yard. Then sleep like a baby.
NO!!!! It is illegal to fly within 8 hours of ingesting alcohol!!!!

Maybe it’s an age thing
In my case it is/was, I was brought up by parents who lived through the 'great depression' and was taught to view nothing as 'disposable'. I still catch myself thinking I should never have let go of my 286 PC, or my first Motorola brick cellphone :) I'm still guilty of this, I tend to buy a Pelican dustproof storage case for each new toy even before I order said toy.
It took serious introspection to get myself accepting the Mini hanging in free space meters above the ground as 'safe', but once my mind accepted the fact that unlike my Nikon camera that needs a sturdy tripod to leave my ever caring hands the Mini is equipped with cutting edge technology to keep it there, it became easier. Understanding what was needed from me to keep it there and bring it back safely made me overcome the final mental block.
It is MEANT to be flown, and hell no, I did not buy the last one off the shelf, if REALLY need be, it can be replaced AND I'll still have the padded dustproof case for the new one :) Have flown a 100km in just over a month since overcoming my mental block and still going strong, with the original Mini. (touching wood)
That all said, I suspect I'm also hooked on the adrenalin rush of seeing it scoot away into the unknown on every flight....

Will this feeling pass, I can’t remember feeling this bad on my driving test!!!

Maybe it’s an age thing
Hang in there 'bud'. I know exactly what you mean....there is so much cautionary info out there.
In my humble opinion, here is how to approach flying: (others may disagree, of course but this is my perspective)
1) assess conditions, being wind, rain, landing terrain, over-head obstacles, proximity of people and....your own 'condition' ie is your mind calm and clear or is there crap going on that might affect your focus and flying protocol
2) is your craft fully charged?
3) get practised on very basic manoeuvres. After all this technical wonder can do stuff a regular aircraft cannot do. Get comfy with all the controls before introducing photography work.
4) with basics becoming more 2nd nature, you'll be more comfortable going higher and farther.
5) *** remember this: if in doubt when in the air, let go of the sticks!!! Pull up your wee Google map (lower left??) to see where you/it are then ...either come back or go elsewhere.
6) one other wee note...frequently check battery status.

NO!!!! It is illegal to fly within 8 hours of ingesting
As someone suggested, maybe you should try something easier first. Maybe a single rotor cp heli? Only one motor and some bare electronics, you can’t go wrong.

Reactions: Kevalli

Maybe it’s an age thing
Wait till you're 80. It's a blast...ahahah!

No, not a wuss but with more practice and experience you will become less "wussy". I had three advantages before I flew for the first time. One, I had been reading and watching anything I could find drone related to get a feel what it was all about. Did this for about a year. Two, when I first got my drone lived in New Mexico and where we lived it was literally 50 miles of flat and empty land in any direction. Third, had my co pilot (wife) with me and as she was reading her magazine in the shade she said "what's the worst that will happen? It crashes and you have to walk out and get it. If it's broke that's why we got DJI refresh. Have fun..." So I flew it like I stole it and have never looked back. I have to say that I have not crashed it or had a major malfunction since I have been flying and count my blessing every time I take off. Just do you and you will be fine.

Maybe it’s an age thing
Nope. You are not alone. My drone stayed in the box on my dresser for 3 weeks before I dared to remove the shrink wrap and take it out of the box. First flights were short and terrifying but things quickly got better when I realized how much fun I was having. Maybe an age thing. At 65, I feel like a 14 year old when piloting.

I agree, some type of insurance takes a considerable amount of the stress away. Then, like others have said, find a big open area and fly. Someone else on this forum has said “altitude is your friend” and I agree as long as it’s not too windy up there,. I take mine up to 200’ and let friends and family fly. It’s too high for trees and power lines around here. At 57, your not too old. I started flying when I was 72 and now have well over 300 miles logged. There are others on this forum that probably started flying in their 80’s. So, take most of the advice presented in this thread and enjoy your new hobby (with insurance). ?

Once you have confidence in your drone and how it lands, than work on using the RTH .

This was a big thing for me. I had a couple of "budget drones" go rogue on me and it killed my confidence. Losing my confidence meant flying wasn't fun any more. I was a real bummer. I kept at it and built my confidence back up in my gear...and in my flying ability. That's where the practice helps.

A biggie for me was learning how to bring a drone back strictly by VLOS if it is just a dot in the sky. It's not hard, but the technique isn't completely intuitive. Sure RTH can bring it back to, but I prefer not to rely on that since it's fun to actually fly the thing afterall :)

Confidence in the equipment and your skill will come...just keep flying!

No, not a wuss but with more practice and experience you will become less "wussy". I had three advantages before I flew for the first time. One, I had been reading and watching anything I could find drone related to get a feel what it was all about. Did this for about a year. Two, when I first got my drone lived in New Mexico and where we lived it was literally 50 miles of flat and empty land in any direction. Third, had my co pilot (wife) with me and as she was reading her magazine in the shade she said "what's the worst that will happen? It crashes and you have to walk out and get it. If it's broke that's why we got DJI refresh. Have fun..." So I flew it like I stole it and have never looked back. I have to say that I have not crashed it or had a major malfunction since I have been flying and count my blessing every time I take off. Just do you and you will be fine.

I love this...that's awesome!

Maybe it’s an age thing
Hey Kevalli, It's not an age thing. It's respect for what you are doing, regardless. Been flying RC for a lot of years and it still happens. Motorcycles since age 12, a former dive instructor, same. Yes fear and anxiety go hand in hand with respect to what you are doing. Practice and training help reduce the fear and anxiety and provide you with more confidence and respect. You may become the best at what you do, but if you loose the respect or become overconfident this is where most get into trouble causing issues to themselves, something, or someone.

So what you are feeling is very natural, shows you care. RC flying is a lot of fun and rewarding but can have very adverse effects if not done responsibly. Take your time and practice and in time you will become proficient and respect even more what these devices and you can do.

Happy and safe flying!
Inno

Reactions: Kevalli and Dbez1
Less wussy I like that ?

Been there done that. The only thing I can suggest is take small steps and keep practicing.

Maybe it’s an age thing
During the phase where the feeling is debilitating, follow the sage advice to take it slow, easy and close in. Extend outwards and upwards as you get steeled to that feeling. If you ever fail to feel nervous and perhaps a little scared, put the remote down and walk away.

Reactions: maggior and Kevalli
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_