DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am I allowed to carry the drone with me on an international flight?

Perhaps you failed to notice the [emoji6] at the end of the message, which to me, at least, indicates a bit of sarcastic humor. BTW, GPS and Glonass are far from geostationary, and should work as well in Antarctica as anywhere else. No offense intended, and sorry for the slightly off topic post.

Reactions: Drone Police
Wondering if there is a definitive country by country summary of laws pertaining to drones. I'm doing a Danube River cruise from Passau to Budapest. Love to bring this thing with... but some research necessary before decision to take it with.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 67
What about travel to Dominican Republic. Leaving on Friday 3/10/17. Need to know ASAP. Thanks
Any updates?
I've got DR reservations in May. How to get permit? Or just go on the DL.IMG_0006.GIF

Reactions: dirkclod
Thanks for the info... and good idea about the props and battery... I think i'll put them all in the checked luggage
Canada's main carrier requires less than 10,000 mah battery, batteries need to be on carry on, individually wrapped in lipo bags, drain to 25% and as a precaution, electrical tape over the contacts. This pretty well satisfies most carriers. They definitely DON'T want lipos in the cargo hold where they can't be dealt with if there is a problem. Most airline steward/s/esses, are trained to extinguish computer batteries with potential problems - garbage containers that can be filled with water, etc. If all removable lipo batteries are out of your UAV, your UAV can be stored in checked luggage.

Last edited:
Seriously???

Both GPS systems were primarily developed for military and commercial use, they use well dispersed geostationary satellites which really don't care about which country you are in. Barring a few really isolated places (Antarctica isn't great) they work great everywhere. I have personal experiences in some very remote places like northern Mongolia

Global Positioning System, the clue is in the name

Yeah I was thinking the same. My Nexus 5x phone's GPS worked great at 80N in Svalbard last summer. I've had good GPS coverage with various devices all over Africa, Mongolia, Laos, Antarctica, you name it. I've never had an issue (except with a P2v+ deep in valleys in Nepal, 15000' deep valleys) - of course it doesn't work well there but that has nothing to do with being in Nepal. Although maybe now with GLONASS it might work a little better. Anyway, GPS is nearly worldwide, and I've used it from 68 degrees south to 80 degrees north.

Reactions: Falcon1az
I'm sitting in the airport right now, with my Mavic in my included shoulder bag. No issues. Never store your batteries in your luggage. The low pressure in the cargo hold can cause them to explode.

Sorry, but this made me chuckle. The pressure in the cabin is exactly the same as in the cargo. A pressure differential could cause structural damage to the aircraft. There are things called "blow out panels" that blow out if the pressure between the cabin and the cargo are different. We have elevators that go down to the cargo where the food is stowed on some aircraft and some aircraft I can access the avionics compartment and cargo from the flight deck. Pets are carried in the cargo and they have to survive the flight.

Reactions: Soundtekk
Just left US through Taipei to BKK. No issues. Didn't even look.

I look at the drone as a flying camera. Should not be an issue

Sorry, but this made me chuckle. The pressure in the cabin is exactly the same as in the cargo. A pressure differential could cause structural damage to the aircraft. There are things called "blow out panels" that blow out if the pressure between the cabin and the cargo are different. We have elevators that go down to the cargo where the food is stowed on some aircraft and some aircraft I can access the avionics compartment and cargo from the flight deck. Pets are carried in the cargo and they have to survive the flight.
Yes, we clearly established already that I didn't know what I was talking about. Carry on. :)

Also good practice to carry them in a lipo charging/travel bag and have the battery terminals covered so they can't short out. The bags are cheap and they help to stop the spread of a fire if one of them ruptures. It's good practice to charge inside them too. They hobby shop owner who sold this to me said he had clients whose houses had burned down because they were charging lipo batteries unattended. I have faith in the Mavic's intelligent batteries but since I have the bag it doesn't hurt to charge/store them in here.

Also, for good measure, I carry the MSDS sheets for the batteries in case any airport authorities want to check.

1207ba1febd9fb650632868ca89fb1dd.jpg
8142be96aa439327b04c56255e80cb0f.jpg

f02d8c17193eb7a908d9220958b6140b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Dear friend , can you upload the msds for mavic pro cause i have problem to take it with me abroad ?

Went to doha, frankfurt, athens, santorini, rome airports without problems, only in athens they ask me to took out all electronic devices from my camera bag, they scan it and no question asked.
I have the fly more combo so with all 3 batts plus dslr camera and 1 lense.

Travelled out of Manchester (UK) to Houston last week, asked a security person if carrying on a drone and batteries was ok (I left the Mavic at home this trip) she said that was fine, treated just like other electronics. Not many places to fly in Houston but maybe I'll bring it along next time.

I look at the drone as a flying camera. Should not be an issue

The way you personally think of a drone is definitely the most important factor when it comes to other countries' legal systems, airline regulations and rules, and the decisions made by those with authority to enforce them.

The way you personally think of a drone is definitely the most important factor when it comes to other countries' legal systems, airline regulations and rules, and the decisions made by those with authority to enforce them.

Lol!

I agree. Its funny you say "Drone" and people immediately raise an eyebrow and look at you like you are some freak spying on people. I say flying camera and nobody even flinches.

I agree. Its funny you say "Drone" and people immediately raise an eyebrow and look at you like you are some freak spying on people. I say flying camera and nobody even flinches.
I thought he was joking. You believe a comment to a TSA or other security official would make a difference? Much less as it pertains to regulations or rules by airlines or FAA or countries?

hello there ,
just went out from bangkok international airport with the mavic , it didn't even interested anyone. walked my way through customs like a charm , cheers

Seriously???

Both GPS systems were primarily developed for military and commercial use, they use well dispersed geostationary satellites which really don't care about which country you are in. Barring a few really isolated places (Antarctica isn't great) they work great everywhere. I have personal experiences in some very remote places like northern Mongolia

Global Positioning System, the clue is in the name

LMAO [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I thought he was joking. You believe a comment to a TSA or other security official would make a difference? Much less as it pertains to regulations or rules by airlines or FAA or countries?

I am just saying. I never say Drone. Sadly it has some real negative connotations. The nice thing about the Mavic Pro is its compact, you never travel with props on it so you pull it out and show them the Camera and they shrug it off.

Reactions: Rbruz
hello there ,
just went out from bangkok international airport with the mavic , it didn't even interested anyone. walked my way through customs like a charm , cheers

I live in Thailand and I fly in and out with mine all the time. Been asked once, showed them the camera and they said OK. Done.

Reactions: neo_xiii

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll