DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am I allowed to carry the drone with me on an international flight?

I have read that this only applies to new items still in boxes not used equipment are you saying that is false? I am going to call the airport to confirm this though. Also there is a special form that you can fill out at a local CBP office that exempts you from duties.

Let us know what the airport says.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Been flying recently, and went through with my Mavic in hand luggage:

- Lisbon - No issues whatsoever (domestic or international flights)
- Madrid Barajas - No issues, except on return, where i had to show all contents of Mavic shoulder bag;
- Hong Kong - No issues
- Manila - No issues
- El Nido Airport - Manual security check, no issues
- Tagbilaran - No issues

As of now, i believe the security staff at the airports are getting to know better the "drone phenomena".

In all of these flights, the Mavic and batteries were on hand luggage

I have read that this only applies to new items still in boxes not used equipment are you saying that is false? I am going to call the airport to confirm this though. Also there is a special form that you can fill out at a local CBP office that exempts you from duties.

This applies to everything. If it was only things in a box everyone would just take their stuff out of the original boxes.
They will not charge you duty on regular vacation items like phones, tablets and camera's.
When it comes to Drones they look at them differently. You may meet a customs person who will let you pass without a problem and others will put it through the process. I am only letting you know what happened to me. I am not going to join the nothing to declare line because I know what happens when they yank someone from that line. As for calling the Airlines, they are clueless. You can call Jamaican Customs Dept at 1-876-922-5140 and ask them. Almost all the Caribbean Islands like Jamaica, Barbados, Trinidad and others were once British colonies and still use the British system AKA Tax them to Death System.

Take a look
Customs duties in Jamaica among world's highest - Business

You may come in just fine, I am sure many people pass through without an issue because the officer did not bother to ask questions. I am only letting you know what is in place and what can happen if you meet the wrong person like I did. In my case since I have to travel back and forth several times a year it did not matter much. I traded in my temporary waiver for a permanent duty slip. So now I can always travel with it to Jamaica and just show them I already paid the duty.

Last edited:
I just few from Chicago to Frankfurt Germany. No issues at O'Hare. Must carry your batteries in your carry on, and the terminals must be covered, and then sealed in plastic bags. I have not flown yet, this is only my second day. One just needs to use good common sense, and abide by the laws of the country you are visiting, as well as the FAAs. I had a backpack with my Mavic, three batteries, my camera and spare battery, and my MacBook Pro. Went through TSA with no issues. I spoke with the X-Ray person there and she said she sees a lot of drones each day.

I don't think this may be entirely true. The LiPo batteries meet FAA/TSA and so far, all airlines requirements to be allowed as carry on. Therefore the pilot needs to have a really good reason for saying it's not allowed. The captain has a lot of power to make decisions, but he/she still can't make up their own rules based on personal opinion that override their airline and/or the government rules and regulations. Well they could, but there would be reprocusions if you filed a complaint.
There is also no regulation that the batteries must be discharged to a certain % and packaged individually. You just need to cover the terminals to prevent them from touching each other. You could throw 4 batteries in a single bag if you wanted if you had the terminals protected.

I have seen lots of contradicting information regarding discharging to a certain %. I checked FAA and they do not mention this at all. Has anyone flown with fully charged batteries? Just trying to figure out the law. I'm going to be flying from US to St Maarten.

Just found out by contacting them, the Dominican Republic now requires you to apply for a permit before bring your drone into their country. With out the proper permit your drone will be confiscated according to the govt dept I contacted. Bummer as I was planning on taking it in December to get some great footage of our vacation. Not only do you have to apply for a permit but it has to be in Spanish. They sent me all the paperwork need to apply and it s all in Spanish and must be sent back that way.

Last edited:
Yes as long as you obey your carrier's regulations regarding where batteries need to be carried. Be aware of the destination country's laws as some countries where drones are restricted have been known confiscate them at customs.

This is very true. Nicaragua is a country that will confiscate your drone. Spain won't take it from you, but you could face a humungous fine (up to 400,000 Euros) for flying a drone without a license. Don't put any of the batteries in your checked luggage, and print out the FAA rules about batteries along with the Mavic battery specs. There's a youtube video about a guy that was kicked off a SWA flight because the flight crew didn't know the rules.

I have flown with batteries and Mavic in carry on in the US without trouble. I have inquired about Egypt and Jordan, and was advised by their consulates that prior certification from their aviation authorities is needed and that without that there is a risk of confiscation at customs.

Reactions: mikeinbox
Assume the country will want to see and identify the drone, serial number etc. In Peru they will take an hour at least to do this, fill forms in etc, so make sure your connecting flights arent too tight. They X-ray ALL luggage leaving, and will pull out the drone and will want to see the incoming paperwork. So dont think that because you got into the country OK you can get out, BTW, it too 2 hourrs to process the drone forms on leaving, so leave lots of time to get it done.

Has anyone taken a drone to Japan recently? I am headed there in 10 days and from my research I think it will be worth it (and legal) to take the Mavic. You can't fly in all the normal places plus over any residential area. All parks in Tokyo are off limits. But I'll be out in the countryside a fair amount and out of the city so I think it will be ok. Any hassles at the airport? We're flying in and out of Narita and not doing any domestic flights.

Really ???
My reading suggests that you will have a good chance of getting adequate (for the Mavic) GPS and/or GLONASS satellite connections anywhere in the world but that getting local maps may be more of a problem. I am thinking that the Mavic won't require the local maps to locate itself.

Reactions: Terry Davis
The lipo batteries FOR drones must to bring in your hand luggage in the cabin because in the case take fire will be possible extinguish the fire. If this will happen inside a checked luggage this will not possible. I hope to have explain the situation using the right words.

Global Positioning System and Global Navigation Satellite System is spotty in 3rd world countries. It is a bit better in developing nations but works best in 1st world countries ;)
Depends if the First world countries are trying to keep a beady eye on those third world countries... as soon as they start trouble you suddenly you fine GPS/GLONAS and the satelite imagery seems to be so much better... ;-)

Reactions: Drone Police
I have just returned from a fly/cruise to the Caribbean (Gatwick to Bridgetown, Barbados) where I visited 11 of the Caribbean islands.
My advice is:
Pack your Mavic separately in your hand luggage (mine was in my Laptop Bag) put all Batteries in Fireproof Containers at 30% battery level)
Put your Mavic bag in the hold luggage with the hand controller, props, charger, with all leads, etc.
I never was stopped at either airport, and I was never stopped on the cruise ship at any of our destination islands.
The only down side is I only got to fly the Mavic 4 times due to the high winds on some of the islands.
Good Luck, and happy flying !!

I have just returned from a fly/cruise to the Caribbean (Gatwick to Bridgetown, Barbados) where I visited 11 of the Caribbean islands.
My advice is:
Pack your Mavic separately in your hand luggage (mine was in my Laptop Bag) put all Batteries in Fireproof Containers at 30% battery level)
Put your Mavic bag in the hold luggage with the hand controller, props, charger, with all leads, etc.
I never was stopped at either airport, and I was never stopped on the cruise ship at any of our destination islands.
The only down side is I only got to fly the Mavic 4 times due to the high winds on some of the islands.
Good Luck, and happy flying !!

Can I ask why at 30%? I have been searching all over trying to find the regulations on this and haven't been able to find any.

Can I ask why at 30%? I have been searching all over trying to find the regulations on this and haven't been able to find any.
It's not a regulation, just recommended. Customs doesn't check the charge level of every phone, laptop, camera, tablet, drone etc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clang123