DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am i liable if i hire non licensed pilot for real estate video?

pcaliban

Reactions
What Options for real estate agents exist to check drone pilot 107 credentials before hiring?
As they say …trust but verify!
Perhaps a good checklist of “Before hiring “ interview questions Would be handy.

Is there something like an Angie’s list for drone pilot verification in my city/state
Is there any kind of better business bureau tracking BBB+ specifically for drone pilots?
Checking on yelp Drone pilot information and reviews seems like a Tedious effort

I read@
https://www..com/certified-drone-pilot-directory-list/

Potential employers can validate your Part 107 certification by submitting an FAA Airman Inquiry. However, there’s no official database for certified drone pilots in the U.S. Rather, there’s just a hodgepodge of companies looking to build various types of service marketplaces that connect certified pilots with jobs.

Should i worry?
If I hire a pilot for a real estate video and they are not licensed under Part107 or tell me they have a “333 waiver and are grandfathered in “ am I liable??$$$

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Just ask them to show you their license. A 107 licensed pilot should be happy to show you. Make a copy and keep it on file as proof that you received a copy of their license. If there is some push back, time to look for another pilot. I'm no lawyer but would guess you could be liable if you do not do due diligence in checking. Why take the chance.

Our MLS requires any Aerial/Drone images to be credited to a photographer who has their CURRENT FAA credentials on file. I was curious if they kept up with it until 2 weeks before time for my Recurrency Training they emailed to remind me my 24 months was coming due.

Should i worry?
If I hire a pilot for a real estate video and they are not licensed under Part107 or tell me they have a “333 waiver and are grandfathered in “ am I liable??$$$

Yes of course. You should verify their credentials prior to hiring them otherwise you are absolutely liable. As the person hiring you "could be" liable for a fine 10X higher than the actual non Part 107 Operator.

FAA Response_Fines_.JPG

@BigA107. Great info. In that letter Thx

it seems the real estate broker community in Georgia is rather cavalier about licensing for drone pilots If a broker even knows about drone licensing the message is not communicated to the sales agents

Most agents I have spoken have no clue about part 107 and do not ask for credentials
Sales agents are under the impression if they hire a drone company by definition they must be certified—-FALSE

I always ask for a copy for our files
however i recently spoke with a pilot Where did not have a 107 license and stated He has been doing work for 10 years had “333 waiver and was grandfathered in “. I was not even sure How I might verify that story so he did not get the work

it would be nice to have a safe list of pre-verified drone pilots to avoid surprises

at least for now if I get a copy of the license and insurance info i am covered

@BigA107. Great info. In that letter Thx

it seems the real estate broker community in Georgia is rather cavalier about licensing for drone pilots If a broker even knows about drone licensing the message is not communicated to the sales agents

Most agents I have spoken have no clue about part 107 and do not ask for credentials
Sales agents are under the impression if they hire a drone company by definition they must be certified—-FALSE

I always ask for a copy for our files
however i recently spoke with a pilot Where did not have a 107 license and stated He has been doing work for 10 years had “333 waiver and was grandfathered in “. I was not even sure How I might verify that story so he did not get the work

it would be nice to have a safe list of pre-verified drone pilots to avoid surprises

at least for now if I get a copy of the license and insurance info i am covered

First off I agree.. there should be an easy way to verify but like most things in life that's just not the case. Privacy concerns etc all come to play.

Agents are usually bombarded with Drone/UAS information from various places like NAR and state entities. I've spoken at several Realtor Events on UAS operations and the only ones who "Didn't know" about the rules were the ones using UAS in their business themselves... I find it highly unlikely that they honestly didn't know but rather claim ignorance of the law in order to operate outside of it. At the very least they know they need some type of license to use a drone in Real Estate work.

In regard to the Section 333 Exemption (which I held for a few years) was only grandfathered in until their expiration date. Mine was fairly "newish" as it was re-issued just 9 months before Part 107 was released (Part 107 went LIVE on Sept 29th, 2016) and my 333 expired 12/31/2017 IIRC. So even with the Section 333 Exemption it's got a short shelf life of only 1 or 2 years TOTAL. So even if theirs was issued the day before Part 107 went live (which it wasn't because mine was re-issued late in the process because P107 was just around the corner) it was have expired LONG before now (many times over actually).

Speaking strictly in terms of UAS Operations, the 333 Exemption is no longer a viable option once P107 came out. Yes it's still there for operation that need to operate outside of what can be done under P107 but they are rarely issued for UAS operations. They are still issued for Manned Aircraft operations but that's a whole other topic in and of itself which is irrelevant to this conversation.

If you're hiring someone you are well within your rights to ask for their Professional Credentials because the RPIC is required to have them on their person when operating the UAS. I carry a host of documents in my Flight Case for this reason.

What Options for real estate agents exist to check drone pilot 107 credentials before hiring?
As they say …trust but verify!
Perhaps a good checklist of “Before hiring “ interview questions Would be handy.

Is there something like an Angie’s list for drone pilot verification in my city/state
Is there any kind of better business bureau tracking BBB+ specifically for drone pilots?
Checking on yelp Drone pilot information and reviews seems like a Tedious effort

I read@
https://www..com/certified-drone-pilot-directory-list/

Potential employers can validate your Part 107 certification by submitting an FAA Airman Inquiry. However, there’s no official database for certified drone pilots in the U.S. Rather, there’s just a hodgepodge of companies looking to build various types of service marketplaces that connect certified pilots with jobs.

Should i worry?
You can verify the 107 certificates here: FAA Registry - Airmen - AirmenInquiry - Name Search

Remember there is a different FAA ID number for privileges for aircraft (pilot) vs. remote pilots (drones). When you look up a remote pilot certificate here is what the outcome looks like.Remote pilot.JPG

You can verify the 107 certificates here: FAA Registry - Airmen - AirmenInquiry - Name Search

Remember there is a different FAA ID number for privileges for aircraft (pilot) vs. remote pilots (drones). When you look up a remote pilot certificate here is what the outcome looks like.View attachment 146205
I just looked up myself, and realized that this database shows issue of the certificate; a one-time event.

Currency lapses after 24 months. OP should also ask to see proof of currency. This takes the form of a paper-printed wallet card; some pilots will keep it on their phone.

See their nice blue plastic card showing they passed the exam as a Remote Pilot. Look for an issue date within the last 24 mos.

If it’s over 24 mos., ask to see proof of currency. Look for a date of a currency exam within the last 24 mos.

Don't look for loopholes.
Just do the RIGHT thing.

You completely missed the message of the OP! They are looking for a way to VERIFY the RPIC has a current Part 107 not looking for a loophole.

Allen

You completely missed the message of the OP! They are looking for a way to VERIFY the RPIC has a current Part 107 not looking for a loophole.

Allen
This is why I always start reading at the OP's first post and every one afterwards . . . mostly these stay the course but can deviate from the flight plan within the wink of an eye ;).

You can simply ask for their card at the interview.
Should i worry?
Yes, you COULD be held liable if you knowingly hire an unlicensed operator and something goes wrong. Kinda like hiring an unlicensed truck driver to take your furniture to a house for staging.

Reactions: Anthony Ivory
Our MLS requires any Aerial/Drone images to be credited to a photographer who has their CURRENT FAA credentials on file. I was curious if they kept up with it until 2 weeks before time for my Recurrency Training they emailed to remind me my 24 months was coming due.
I have been a real estate broker over 30 years and a pilot well over that. I am pleased to hear that your MLS requires that! No I do not want for more laws and/or requirements but this just makes sense!!

Reactions: BigAl07 and dart106
Just ask them to show you their license. A 107 licensed pilot should be happy to show you. Make a copy and keep it on file as proof that you received a copy of their license. If there is some push back, time to look for another pilot. I'm no lawyer but would guess you could be liable if you do not do due diligence in checking. Why take the chance.
What he said. ^ If there’s hesitation or push back, assume there’s no 107 card and move along to someone else.

Reactions: BigAl07
We provide all clients a copy of 107, proof of insurance, registration and if requested a copy of our Gen. Ops. Manual. All our operators are required to have those items in their equipment.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98