DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am I no longer able to fly up the side of a mountain?

just out of curiosity, which trail or river are you following. It looks like extremely challenging terrain (Google maps and terrain views). It like mountains, mountains, and then more mountains. My days of hiking in mountains are a distant past. I do hope you can get some good picture to show, especially to show the wide view
I have wanted to climb up Mount Abrams south of Ouray for many years. There is no trail up to the summit but I have identified a few routes I think might work. My desire was to get a closer view from flying the M2P up them and reviewing the video footage.

Are you getting good satellite numbers while in the mountains? How your cell/internet connection in the mountains? It probably doesn't matter but any new information might help in some way.
There is no cell or internet available there.

Are you getting good satellite numbers while in the mountains? How your cell/internet connection in the mountains? It probably doesn't matter but any new information might help in some way.
Cell reception has absolutely nothing to do with anyone's drone, to be able to fly it. All DJI drones use their own signal to communicate between drone and controller. You never need cell reception ever, to fly. As for satellites, why would being in the mountains have anything to do with satellites? Unless you were way down in a canyon, but that would not be on a mountain though, would it. Just remember what was just stated for any future problem solving for yourself or others.

Of course, in a narrow valley you may have diminished GPS but even with no GPS you can still fly, it just won't be stable and hold position as it does when it has full GPS. You would need to fly it as if in ATTI mode, fully manual.

Just for your info, when I bought my old Mavic Pro several years ago, I could fly all around the place in a park near me. I did several videos there in summer and winter. When I sold that I bought the Mavic 2 Pro and updated to the latest software. That was last year and now when I go to that same take off location, it won't even allow me to turn on the motors, saying I am in a no-fly zone, for some reason.

There is nothing new built there, no new airports or helipads etc. it is just the new software that has now reduced the areas that I am able to fly. I feel if it works, don't touch it. I no longer update the software because it works as it is and I don't need further problems by updating.

Reactions: Viewfinder
when I bought my old Mavic Pro several years ago, I could fly all around the place in a park near me. I did several videos there in summer and winter. When I sold that I bought the Mavic 2 Pro and updated to the latest software. That was last year and now when I go to that same take off location, it won't even allow me to turn on the motors, saying I am in a no-fly zone, for some reason.

There is nothing new built there, no new airports or helipads etc. it is just the new software that has now reduced the areas that I am able to fly.

This is why I recommended checking the flysafe map.

I know there are 'no fly' altitude restricted areas here in OZ (some of them spurious), there probably are in other countries, but not sure if flysafe has anything other than simple no fly areas (ie also altitude restrictions).

DJI is a pain regarding restricting pilots in any way against particular country's airspace authority rules / good to fly areas.

Last edited:
#1) I did get the "Maximum Altitude" to now accept 500m. I do not know why it would not accept a higher value onsite (in the mountains) but I'm home on WiFi now and did make that change (after accepting the required warning in doing so).......(AND.... I do not think that should have been a limitation on me being able to change the value). My software was updated prior to launch and remains current and up-to-date.
There's a lot of confusion in this thread.
This had nothing to do with altitude, wifi or any of the other things that have been suggested.
The only reason you couldn't increase the Max Height, was that you did something wrong in your attempts.
It's set now and will stay set, until you change it again.

Sorry AGL is what I meant. I started at 9800 ft and wanted to fly up the mountain (12,200 ft) along a route I wanted to hike. As I started to fly up the mountain keeping near the hiking trail and the slope of the mountain rose, the aircraft stopped ascending at the 120m limit from my launch altitude. It would not allow me to keep ascending up the mountain regardless of the fact that the actual altitude AGL of the aircraft was decreasing as I tried to fly up it.
Another way of explaining it was I tried to keep under the 120m ceiling AGL as I flew up the mountain, but the aircraft stopped ascending at the 120m point above my launch altitude regardless of the fact that the aircraft was less than 120m above the ground relative to the aircraft's real position on the mountain.
Is it possible that the air is so thin at 12,200 ft that the drone just can't get higher? so an aerodynamic issue not a software issue

Is it possible that the air is so thin at 12,200 ft that the drone just can't get higher? so an aerodynamic issue not a software issue
No ... his Max Altitude Limit was set at 400 ft.

The service ceiling for the Mavic 2 is 19,700 (6000m).

This is why I recommended checking the flysafe map.

I know there are 'no fly' altitude restricted areas here in OZ (some of them spurious), there probably are in other countries, but not sure if flysafe has anything other than simple no fly areas (ie also altitude restrictions).

DJI is a pain regarding restricting pilots in any way against particular country's airspace authority rules / good to fly areas.
I use several apps for knowing where I can’t fly. There no restrictions here.

There's a lot of confusion in this thread.
This had nothing to do with altitude, wifi or any of the other things that have been suggested.
The only reason you couldn't increase the Max Height, was that you did something wrong in your attempts.
It's set now and will stay set, until you change it again.
I was able to reset the maximum height when I was at my house. But apparently no matter what the aircraft altitude above the terrain is, it seems to be limited to the maximum altitude from the home point. So I can never fly up a mountain if it is higher than 1600 ft above my launch altitude. I don’t think it has always been that way but apparently it is that way now.

I was able to reset the maximum height when I was at my house. But apparently no matter what the aircraft altitude above the terrain is, it seems to be limited to the maximum altitude from the home point. So I can never fly up a mountain if it is higher than 1600 ft above my launch altitude. I don’t think it has always been that way but apparently it is that way now.
I saw a creative solution for this. It entails flying up to a bit less than 1600 ft and then landing briefly and taking off again. This resets the home point and altitude so you can go another 1600 ft. Finding a suitable landing spot could be tricky.

Not sure if this helps or could solve the problem. In the Go4 app you can select a “beginner mode” which ensures a distance and altitude limit.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000