DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am I The Only One That Doesn't Put My Phone Into Airplane Mode?

VenomXts

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have never done it and have about 50 hours of flight time.....

Sure I have had a few disconnects at long distances etc and a few app crashes... but still... Just wonder if I'm in the minority here.

Also with a mini and a air 2 flying on a Android s8, s20 ultra and a work iPhone 8 I have only been exposed to the fly app...

Sure I have had a few disconnects at long distances etc and a few app crashes... but still... Just wonder if I'm in the minority here.

Also with a mini and a air 2 flying on a Android s8, s20 ultra and a work iPhone 8 I have only been exposed to the fly app...
I don’t, IPad mini 5 connected to WiFi when flying at home. Never had app crash or any other problems.

I don't because I am afraid I will miss the call from the dear lady in India who has ten million dollars to donate to a worthy, God fearing person since she has been diagnosed with a terminal illness and God told her I was the one ! Ever since I got her email I have been waiting.

I do - only to stop the phone ringing mid flight!

I did once. Usually I just forget or can't be bothered. Notifications (text mssg, usually) bug me, but no crashes or anything. Never (yet) got a phone call, but I'd just ignore it...
Good question, happy flying

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider

With me, it is a moot point since I fly using my iPad which does not have a telephone! It is pretty much dedicated to the drone , but I do use it for streaming live TV too.

Never did see a reason to ever do that.

If you’re gonna have a Wi-Fi connection then why do that?
Pretty sure it’s a myth With no actual data to back it up just somebody’s guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do it..I get too many calls from hotels thanking me for my recent stay..don't these people know how much trouble that could cause?

I use my Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra and occassionally I use my Samsung Galaxy Tab S6. I have never had to put into Airplane mode - I connect USB, turn on the controler and it automatically launches the ap - no muss, no fuss. Connects to the Drone quickly and I am off to the wild blue yonder... :)

I don't because I am afraid I will miss the call from the dear lady in India who has ten million dollars to donate to a worthy, God fearing person since she has been diagnosed with a terminal illness and God told her I was the one ! Ever since I got her email I have been waiting.
Quit waiting God changed her mind she sent it to me !! Lol

Reactions: Lzet
I use to not use airplane mode but I do now. Not because of anything negative happening either I turn it on to tune the world out; no messages, no calls, no notifications just the MP2 and an open sky! The only benefit I could see to not using airplane mode (just my preference) is the occasional need for cellular data to upload a map, but after downloading a few offline maps that isn’t an issue either.
Good question though because I thought the majority would use airplane mode but looks to be the opposite! Expect the unexpected seems to be a good way to end this ??

I now use a dedicated Tab A to fly so not an issue. When I first got the drone I used my phone for a couple of months with no issues not in airplane mode!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaffainNL