DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ama or Not?

AMA membership does include liability insurance and membership is a requirement to fly at many R/C airplane fields.

That USED to be the case but that's no longer accurate re: requirement to fly at R/C airplane fields. That changes several years ago IIRC.

I will stick with flying recreational under 107 rules. I have no interest in flying in a park and am not concerned about RID at all. I don't hide in the shadows when I am out taking images with my drone other than to keep the sun off of my controller screen.

To fall fully under Part 107 you also need to take and pass the Part 107 test. Although, following Part 107 rules (without taking and passing the test) will keep you legal in terms of ~44809 but unless you have taken and passed the test you are not "Current" under Part 107.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
To fall fully under Part 107 you also need to take and pass the Part 107 test. Although, following Part 107 rules (without taking and passing the test) will keep you legal in terms of ~44809 but unless you have taken and passed the test you are not "Current" under Part 107.
I have taken/passed the test :)

The local fields which have opted to join the AMA everywhere near me. They all prohibit drones AFAIK, but that is OK since I don’t like flying concurrently with model airplanes. Therefore, I let my AMA membership lapse. They hadn’t brought me enough benefit. Whatever insurance they offer doesn’t do me any good for a commercial project where my client often requires that they be a named party to my liability coverage.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
...... Whatever insurance they offer doesn’t do me any good for a commercial project where my client often requires that they be a named party to my liability coverage.

It takes some asking but they offer an expanded insurance policy that DOES cover Part 107 operations but it's not part of the "Regular" membership. We've used both.

Reactions: Torque and JoelP
I'm an AMA member, but that's a personal choice. It's not compulsory for UAV pilots.

D
If you are a member you get a supplemental insurance policy for liability when flying recreationally. You have to first submit any claim to your home owners policy, but if they don't cover it completely, or you don't have homeowners insurance (e.g. renter), then AMA policy kicks in to protect you. Doesn't cover commercial (though they have partnered with someone for that-rates not much better than other insurers), you have to be observing the rules, and is liability only, not drone damage. However, I signed up. For $80 a year if I have a fly away and my drone comes down on a moving car, its good to have some additional liability protection up to $500k.

Reactions: Torque
I am a bit confused by this thread, and I thought I knew this stuff.

While I am aware of the CBO provision, my understanding is that the FARs are the controlling regulations, and outline specifically and completely the rules I must follow when flying anywhere but a FRIA or other dedicated RC field, which is controlled by a CBO.

So, for all my drone flying I've largely (actually completely, to be frank) ignored the CBO stuff, since i don't fly at RC fields.

Am I wrong in this? Can the AMA, for example, be recognized as the Santa Cruz County CBO, set a ceiling of 250', and decide where I can and can't fly? Only between 7am and 5pm?

I thought that as long as I'm not flying at a specific RC field under the auspices of a CBO, my only master was the FAA, and local state laws and LEOs.

I am a bit confused by this thread, and I thought I knew this stuff.

While I am aware of the CBO provision, my understanding is that the FARs are the controlling regulations, and outline specifically and completely the rules I must follow when flying anywhere but a FRIA or other dedicated RC field, which is controlled by a CBO.

So, for all my drone flying I've largely (actually completely, to be frank) ignored the CBO stuff, since i don't fly at RC fields.

Am I wrong in this? Can the AMA, for example, be recognized as the Santa Cruz County CBO, set a ceiling of 250', and decide where I can and can't fly? Only between 7am and 5pm?

I thought that as long as I'm not flying at a specific RC field under the auspices of a CBO, my only master was the FAA, and local state laws and LEOs.

~44809 clearly states in line #2 of paragraph (a):

(2)
The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organization’s set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration.

If you have your TRUST certificate you should have covered this during that study lesson.

You can follow ANY set of CBO program as long as it's recognized by the FAA. It's important to note that you must still follow all other pertinent FAA rules and local/state regulations as well as the defined rules of the CBO.

You can follow ANY set of CBO program as long as it's recognized by the FAA. It's important to note that you must still follow all other pertinent FAA rules and local/state regulations as well as the defined rules of the CBO.

I understand.

The information regarding CBOs in the TRUST certification process did not answer the question regarding the authority and latitude a CBO has in setting rules for a community, which really is what i'm unclear about.

Can a CBO require different rules from the FARs? Rules in addition to the FARs? Could they prohibit operations where there is no legal restriction in Federal, State, or local law?

Para 2 would seem to imply a recreational pilot must be operating under the programming of a CBO anywhere and everywhere in the US. Is this correct?

In practice, the CBO provision in 44809 is all but completely ignored by the vast majority of the drone community. It gets almost no discussion here, while we argue about legal operation vis a vis the FARs here constantly, I can't recall a single post ever about running afoul of CBO guidelines.

Has anyone ever been punished by the FAA for violating the Safety Guidelines of a CBO?

^Personally I think we're trying to ignore it because it's "concerning" what these CBOs can come up with. As a rec pilot, you'll need to state which CBO you are following and the rules are in addition which basically means you'll be following their rules. If they say no flying at night.....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cht6688