DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Amazing thunderstorm from an airplane

Wild and thanks for posting. Reminded me of a segment
of twilight zone I beleave way back where there was a demon on the wing during a storm terrorizing a passenger .

Wild and thanks for posting. Reminded me of a segment
of twilight zone I beleave way back where there was a demon on the wing during a storm terrorizing a passenger .

You are showing your age, dirkclod! I remember that episode, it was one of my favorites! Starred a young William Shatner.

Great footage!

Reactions: dirkclod
Nice. I was on a flight over Western Canada about 25 years ago (pre- smart phone) where we were flying through (like you) and over thunderstorms. From above I watched some intra cloud and cloud to air lightning, some extending 30-40 miles out. It was jaw dropping. You had a relatively rare experience, and especially now where no one has their window shades open so they can play games on their smart phones without interference from the natural world.

Nice. I was on a flight over Western Canada about 25 years ago (pre- smart phone) where we were flying through (like you) and over thunderstorms. From above I watched some intra cloud and cloud to air lightning, some extending 30-40 miles out. It was jaw dropping. You had a relatively rare experience, and especially now where no one has their window shades open so they can play games on their smart phones without interference from the natural world.

Thank you for your feedback! I'm trying to appreciate this expreience.
You are right, sadly most of the passengers didnt realized, what happened outside...

Reactions: Mavic Air Head
Be thankfull you were sitting on the starboard side, image being on the other side of a full plane and just glimpsing what was going on out their window.

I recall a fantastic flight one night flying back from Corfu Greece to Gatwick. We always did night flights with a late takeoff and over the Austrian Alps was a brilliant huge thunderstorm going on up ahead and below. You get a great view of what is coming, sitting in the sharp end and it was amazing watching it as we approached. It was just like a Spielberg movie set might have looked, of cotton wool laid out over the alps and lights placed under the cotton wool, being rapidly switched on an off, constantly in different sections.

There was tremendous energy in that storm below, with flash after flash after flash, all dancing around the Alps. It was constant, about every second or two to sometimes every half second, bouncing all around the place. One of those things you just had to experience/see to be able to fully appreciate what an awesome sight it was. Words alone can not do it justice. I've seen plenty of lightning shows going on below, but none like this one, with the amount of lightning over such a large area and going on for so long. Makes you wonder what power there could have been stored, if we could work out a way to harness all that energy

It was like your footage but we were far above it all looking down. We had the warm dim glow of the panel lights and that fantastic clear light show going on up ahead and below. It was mesmerizing and with not much to do, we got to watch it for a good while until it all slowly passed underneath us. I wish we had, back then, the tiny cameras with low light capability and 4K video that we have today. I so wished I had been able to film it, it was an amazing sight. At least I got to see it and can sit back quietly today and review it in my mind, when ever I choose, but I wish I could share it, like you have for us.

You were lucky that thunder head had such energy and that you had a good camera ready to shoot with. That is a rare experience to get to see and film something like that, so close. I miss being up there looking down on a beautiful part of the world, day or night, especially the alps on a full moon night.

Last edited:
You put it beautifully @Cymruflyer; there are just somethings that will be forever etched into your memory because you can't quite comprehend the enormity of their scale and the beauty in nature; you just can't believe what you are seeing is real and that you were lucky enough to winess an event like that. For me, that event was the Leonid meteor shower of 2002; I still have goosebumps remembeing what it felt like!

Be thankfull you were sitting on the starboard side, image being on the other side of a full plane and just glimpsing what was going on out their window.

I recall a fantastic flight one night flying back from Corfu Greece to Gatwick. We always did night flights with a late takeoff and over the Austrian Alps was a brilliant huge thunderstorm going on up ahead and below. You get a great view of what is coming, sitting in the sharp end and it was amazing watching it as we approached. It was just like a Spielberg movie set might have looked, of cotton wool laid out over the alps and lights placed under the cotton wool, being rapidly switched on an off, constantly in different sections.

There was tremendous energy in that storm below, with flash after flash after flash, all dancing around the Alps. It was constant, about every second or two to sometimes every half second, bouncing all around the place. One of those things you just had to experience/see to be able to fully appreciate what an awesome sight it was. Words alone can not do it justice. I've seen plenty of lightning shows going on below, but none like this one, with the amount of lightning over such a large area and going on for so long. Makes you wonder what power there could have been stored, if we could work out a way to harness all that energy

It was like your footage but we were far above it all looking down. We had the warm dim glow of the panel lights and that fantastic clear light show going on up ahead and below. It was mesmerizing and with not much to do, we got to watch it for a good while until it all slowly passed underneath us. I wish we had, back then, the tiny cameras with low light capability and 4K video that we have today. I so wished I had been able to film it, it was an amazing sight. At least I got to see it and can sit back quietly today and review it in my mind, when ever I choose, but I wish I could share it, like you have for us.

You were lucky that thunder head had such energy and that you had a good camera ready to shoot with. That is a rare experience to get to see and film something like that, so close. I miss being up there looking down on a beautiful part of the world, day or night, especially the alps on a full moon night.
My sentiments exactly on the camera comment. I'm sure you guys in the real first class seats see the truly incredible sights, so many are oblivious of, on a daily basis. Sunrises and sunsets are always a favorite for me. Awesome description, thanks for taking the time to share.

Wow, thank you for sharing your experience, it's an amazing thing to see the huge power of nature. :)

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Sweet!

Reactions: sophie08
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji