DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Amazon drone delivery

Ah, unclipping would have been a potential hazard for sure, and yes I’ve seen Amazon drones with 2 forward motors, and like the one in my linked video, 4 forward motors.
Evolving as it will, will probably look a lot different in the future no doubt.
Yeah, I did sort of think that a good tug in the end of the line wasn’t going to end well 😝

They don’t actually drop the packages as it operates here. The drone hovers at about 15m and winches it down in a container, the customer unclips it and it rewinds the winch and flys off. As far as I am aware there’s been no reported cases of one losing it’s payload in the 3 or 4 years they’ve been operating. I’m sure it’ll happen eventually but everything happens eventually.
Good to know, thanks for the info.

The small town of Lockeford not far from me will be allowed to fly drones BVLOS for deliveries into Lockeford residents back yards. I read Amazon sends someone out to survey the landing zone and if approved they can get some items delivered within an hour. Wonder how that's gonna pan out? I'd like to know what determines a safe landing site. We have an Amazon center in our town and I wouldn't be surprised we might see drones in the near future. I'd think a commercial drone would have to have a proven safety record that exceeds what most of us fly??? I'll say that I never thought it would be worth it for a company to deliver small packages in my area due to most yards covered in trees, not to mention all the overhead utility wires. I wonder if an Amazon employee is sitting and monitoring the flight both visually and through telemetry? Interesting anyway. Might have to eat a little crow.

View attachment 150123

Does it knock?

Does it knock?
Nope they use a loud speaker mounted on the drone that blasts a doorbell sound.

All humor aside, who knows if their delivery requirements will change being this is just a test project, but IIRC one article suggested that Amazon calls you when they plan to access your back yard to deliver the package.

Nope they use a loud speaker mounted on the drone that blasts a doorbell sound.

All humor aside, who knows if their delivery requirements will change being this is just a test project, but IIRC one article suggested that Amazon calls you when they plan to access your back yard to deliver the package.
Thanks. Makes sense. Pretty impressive none-the-less. ✌🏼

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000