DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ambient Wind Reported?

jclarkw

Reactions
I've been told that newer DJI drones, including the Mavic Air 3, report ambient wind speed, direction, and more in their log files! (For example, the latest versions of Mike Singer's "Flight Reader" software list the following 7 new columns of flight data in their log-file reports: WEATHER.windDirection, WEATHER.windRelativeDirection, WEATHER.windSpeed [MPH], WEATHER.maxWindSpeed [MPH], WEATHER.windStrength, WEATHER.isFacingWind, and WEATHER.isFlyingIntoWind.) So far there seems to be nothing about this new feature on the DJI Web site. Questions:

1) Has anyone already used these data? (I can imagine many applications including the field of boundary-layer meteorology.)

2) Is this information unique at every data sample (every 1/10 s for my old Mavic Air 2, which does not report these data), or (more likely) what is the averaging period for these readings?

3) What kind of accuracy is achieved in these data?

Any information on this greatly appreciated! -- jclarkw

Airdata has been giving those wind speeds, directions etc for a while now.
True, and they even appear there for the old Mavic Air 2, therefore not courtesy of DJI as with the newer models. However, for the Air 2 they appear only sporadically and don't appear to make much sense.

I quizzed Airdata about them but didn't get any of my questions answered.

What is your evaluation of the wind data, and from what model(s)? Do you have any sample time series of these 7 parameters from the Air 3 that you would be willing to share? -- jclarkw

What is your evaluation of the wind data, and from what model(s)? Do you have any sample time series of these 7 parameters from the Air 3 that you would be willing to share? -- jclarkw
@sar104 etc. can possibly shoot holes in this idea but you might try the following.

On a truly windless day fly a set of straight line, only-forwards runs which are of sufficient length that the drone achieves steady speed in each run.
Do this at various speeds from 0 to full speed and in all three flight modes.

When trying to achieve intermediate speeds you might try using the cruise control or, if it is possible, adjusting the maximum speed setting in the app. I might have seen that the latter is possible in at least one of the recent DJI drone models.
Repeat the above for backwards flight and each sideways flight.

Once you have a reasonable set of various speeds runs, for each direction of travel, completed, look at the flight log/s and plot, for each direction of travel, a graph of ground speed vs drone angle.

You could then compare those graphs with logs from windy flights, look at the ground speeds for reasonably stable drone angles. The difference between the ground speeds for a given drone angle is, to my mind due, to wind speed and you could compare that value with the wind speed shown in the weather column of the log.

I realise that getting a steady drone angle on a windy day will probably be difficult and you might have to 'average' drone angles.
You can see the drone tilt 'live' whilst flying via the attitude indicator.

Last edited:
@sar104 etc. can possibly shoot holes in this idea but you might try the following.

On a truly windless day fly a set of straight line, only-forwards runs which are of sufficient length that the drone achieves steady speed in each run.
Do this at various speeds from 0 to full speed and in all three flight modes.

When trying to achieve intermediate speeds you might try using the cruise control or, if it is possible, adjusting the maximum speed setting in the app. I might have seen that the latter is possible in at least one of the recent DJI drone models.
Repeat the above for backwards flight and each sideways flight.

Once you have a reasonable set of various speeds runs, for each direction of travel, completed, look at the flight log/s and plot, for each direction of travel, a graph of ground speed vs drone angle.

You could then compare those graphs with logs from windy flights, looking at the ground speeds for reasonably stable drone angles. The difference between the ground speeds fo a given drone angle is, to my mind due, to wind speed and you could compare that value with the wind speed shown in the log.

I realise that getting a steady drone angle on a windy day will probably be difficult and you might have to 'average' drone angles.
You can see the drone tilt 'live' whilst flying via the attitude indicator.
Interesting, if tedious, idea that sounds as though it would work. Thanks -- jclarkw

I tend to find them quite accurate. This is from my Air 3. Below is a link to my last flight from it, happy to share it with you. Let me know if you need more.

Thanks! -- With the "original" version I can process into Flight Reader and proceed from there. -- jclarkw

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krautz