DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

An ideal Tablet.

I recently purchased the Tripltek because I was having trouble seeing the screen of my mini 5 in bright sunlight, even with a sunshade. This tablet is a little bulky but the screen is amazing! I had to use reading glasses with the mini but the screen on the Pro 8 is so clear, I don’t need them. It was pricey but It’s worth it to me and my eyes!

Hi cheddar-man. I use an iPad mini 5 (5th gen) in a mount with my DJI Mavic Mini controller. To relieve the weight on my hands I use a lanyard around my neck to help support the added weight. Hope this helps with your search.

Reactions: RMS001
Samsung S6 Lite FTW! Perfect size but must use a tablet adapter to put in front of the controller

I also own a Samsung S7+ and an iPad Pro 12.9… yea, they’re great but not at all portable/useable

I currently own a Samsung A7 10.4 in. tablet, and it works great. You do have to buy a tablet holder for it, and possibly a sunshade, but it is definitely worth the money.

Triptek are a popular choice for drones and they offer a 7in tablet:

They show a picture of it mounted in the Air controller but it looks slightly bigger than your requirements and I think they're using an adapter, I'm not familiar with the newer Air style controller.

In case you're not aware of it, GSMArena has a huge number of phones/tablets in their database and they have a flexible search system so you can look for any devices which meet your requirements:

With growth of phone screen sizes the tablets have grown in turn as well so there's few 7in tablets these days but there are bigger phones that meet your requirements like for example a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra which has a 6.8in screen.

However I would question whether a device which meets your requirements is actually going to be useful, you've said the iphone XR screen is a bit small but it's already 6.1in so a 7in device is not going to be much larger. The 8in iPad Mini is a popular choice since it gives a bit more screen space than a phone but without the bulk of the 10in+ tablets although I think it needs an adapter for the Air type controllers.
The problem with phones is not just screen size, it’s format proportions.

Many thanks Johnmcl7 for a most helpful post! The Tripltek is certainly a nice size but they're UGLY with that great heavy surround, or is that a case that comes off?
The trouble with the Samsung is that they get their larger diagonal screen size because they're very tall and slim, only 2.8" wide.

The iPad mini is probably as near as one can get but even that needs an adapter to mount it. Must have a closer look at one, see how much weight it adds to the top of the remote. My 83yo hands can't take too much wright🥴

The iPad mini 4 looks a good but have read that some people find it a bit slow or other issues? Anybody here use this??
I have an ipad mini 5. Excellent but needs an adapter. I believe the mini 4 is ok. Did some research a while back. Mini 4 came out well in reviews but opted for the 5. Just remember, the smart device compass is used for the radar display so get a device that has auto compass calibration for the smart device, otherwise you can end up with incorrect radar display. This calibration is seperate from the aircraft compass calibration.

This is from a post I wrote a while back. It doesnt give details about the device you are looking for, but it does give some heads up on things people may not know about various types of devices, especially in relation to in-built compass sensor. Its a bit long but might save you some frustration and disappointment. Also, I have had issues with tabs that dont have built in wifi, as they map can be out by many metres. Yes you can set up before going out but to me this is less convenient. Each to his own on that one.

The post is mainly to do with compass sensors. If you dont use the fly app or go4 compass function, it doesnt apply so much.

From my earlier post
"Welcome to the wonderful world of Android (I am actually a big fan of Android). However, for Drones, they are not the most reliable choice. Depending on the intended market (ie US vs Europe), a compass sensor may not be installed. Don't assume because you live say in the US that it will be included. These days, devices can come from anywhere. As previously stated, it's not the device name that matters, but the model number, Check the tiny writing in near-invisible print colour on the back of the device (near the bottom connector I think) and google the specs to see if it includes a compass sensor.

This issue is compounded with the problem that most wifi only Android tablets of any model number do not have a compass sensor. It is mainly the Cellular models that may have one. Most if not all cheap Androids will not have this function. I know because I spent weeks looking, even bought a Tab A 10 inch and had to return it once I discovered this issue.

As **** stated, no compass sensor = no compass function in the Fly app.

Iphones and most quality Android phones (= Samsung) have built-in compass sensors. Also, most cellular ipads and Ipad minis, have compasses. The Mini 5 cellular certainly does.

My advice would be to link it up, fly for a few minutes to let the app settle down, and check it out. If the fly app compass works and works accurately great, I doubt it will but you never know.

If you need a bigger screen, look online for a factory reconditioned Ipad Mini 4 cellular (perhaps even the wifi only, again check the model no specs online). It has a compass and can be picked up for a couple of hundred dollars. Most quality suppliers will give a warranty. Also check the apple site for recons as well as Kogan. Earlier Ipads/Minis may have a compass but will probably be too slow for the app.

Check out this website for some really good info. It might be a little out of date as things change quickly but is mostly accurate.

The Latest DJI Fly (DJI Mini 2 / Mavic Mini / Mavic Air 2) Compatible Phones list | Cult of Drone

Again, even with this info, check the model no specs if purchasing just to be certain that it has the sensor.

Regarding adaptors, get a plastic one as metal can throw out the compass by several degrees. Kind of important especially when flying in windy conditions!

Sorry this was a long reply but it's not a simple subject. Hope this helps. Happy flying

iPad Mini 5 would be your best bet IMHO. I have an $9 adapter that weighs next to nothing that clips to the top. Get a hood if brightness is an issue but being in the UK, you shouldn't have as much of a heat issue as the southern U.S.
A post above says that the iPad Mini 5 struggles with the latest DJI Fly App - Others say that the Mini 5 has no issues.
I have seen numerous comments about the Mini 4 not being up to the task.

iPad Mini 5 would be your best bet IMHO. I have an $9 adapter that weighs next to nothing that clips to the top. Get a hood if brightness is an issue but being in the UK, you shouldn't have as much of a heat issue as the southern U.S.
Like others, I have read that the Mini 5 tends to be too dim after a while, it loses its brightness??? Maybe they had it in Auto rather than manual?

Many thanks Johnmcl7 for a most helpful post! The Tripltek is certainly a nice size but they're UGLY with that great heavy surround, or is that a case that comes off?
The trouble with the Samsung is that they get their larger diagonal screen size because they're very tall and slim, only 2.8" wide.

The iPad mini is probably as near as one can get but even that needs an adapter to mount it. Must have a closer look at one, see how much weight it adds to the top of the remote. My 83yo hands can't take too much wright🥴

The iPad mini 4 looks a good but have read that some people find it a bit slow or other issues? Anybody here use this??
I have tried the Mini 4 with DJI Fly and get consistent lagging, CPU overload, and lock up. It still works with Go4 but not Fly.

When I purchased my MA2 last month, I wasn't aware of the possible problems in selecting a suitable tablet/phone and simply purchased a budget tablet, Lenovo Tab M8. At around £100 was good price and after about a dozen flights has performed perfectly, seems I was lucky in my choice.
(Btw, it updated itself this week to Android 10)

I use the latest model, iPad mini 6 with Hoodman sun shade. It works flawlessly. I always close ALL other apps before I launch DJI Fly so that it is the only app running.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone manufactured a small tablet specifically designed for the Mini controllers

ie 6-7" (150-180mm) tall X 3½" (90mm) wide. This would fit perfectly on the Mini controller without have an adapter and be plenty big enough for most eyes! Obviously compatible with the Fly App!

If anybody knows such a beast please let me know. Although my iPhone XR is great it's still a bit small for my old eyes and I don't really want a huge tablet mounters on an adapter hanging off the top of the controller!

Am I being a bit ambitious here🤔🤔
It is easy to make an inexpensive Amazon Fire into a clean android tablet with no Amazon crap and it has better performance. I was able to load Litchi. Just google Fire toolbox.

It is easy to make an inexpensive Amazon Fire into a clean android tablet with no Amazon crap and it has better performance. I was able to load Litchi. Just google Fire toolbox.
The Fire HD 8 Tablet looks ideal size wise but will it run the Fly App? Has it got 64bit architecture? I am not savvy enough to understand the specs 😩

I use my iPad mini on my Mavic Mini controller and it just fits nice and snug, you will need a longer cable though.

The Fire tablets are 32 bit according to Amazon so surely you can't convert them to 64 with the toolbox🤔🤔

I'm having very good flying experience with a Samsung Galaxy Tab Active3. Big and bright screen that is easy to mount on controller, and they sell for less than $500.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys