DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

And out of the morning mist loomed a Castle...................

My take on the spectacular " Castle Lohort" in County Cork Ireland
That was the most amazing feat of flying I have ever seen on this forum! Not exactly VLOS, thankfully missing those two wires, and then, into the bowels of the castle (obviously not VLOS). The most wonderful experience to watch this one.

You are the master of flying!

Bravo!

Dale
Miami

What can I say other than "wow"?! Spectacular flying and video. Those power lines at the beginning kind of came out of nowhere. I also enjoy anything with the Old World castles. I'v always been intrigued by them and the history surrounding them. Great video!

That was the most amazing feat of flying I have ever seen on this forum! Not exactly VLOS, thankfully missing those two wires, and then, into the bowels of the castle (obviously not VLOS). The most wonderful experience to watch this one.

You are the master of flying!

Bravo!

Dale
Miami
Wow high praise Dale , thank you. Makes the 5am start and the two hour drive to get there yesterday seem worthwhile now.

Wow high praise Dale , thank you. Makes the 5am start and the two hour drive to get there yesterday seem worthwhile now.
Yes- the praise was worth of it. As I sit here at my computer, I am waiting for my ride to the airport to begin 3 week safari to Tanzania (Seregenti-migration crossings), and hen Kenya, other side of Mafra River or more migration crossings. Wish me luck.

Dale

Yes- the praise was worth of it. As I sit here at my computer, I am waiting for my ride to the airport to begin 3 week safari to Tanzania (Seregenti-migration crossings), and hen Kenya, other side of Mafra River or more migration crossings. Wish me luck.

Dale
Oh so Jealous , a feast of aerial photography opportunities await , Be sure to share your adventures with us apon your return . Safe travels my friend

Great flying and editing, unique perspectives as usual from you @Mazdaman323lx

Hooked me with the magnificent tour from the front 'gate', up the wonderful driveway, and the castle !!

Now THAT is a castle built to resist invaders.
Vertical living, very hard to climb, no lower windows, archery slots in the walls, the staricases and multiple floor living means the occupants would not have skipped 'leg day' any day !!

I read up a bit on the castle https://www.britainirelandcastles.com/Ireland/County-Cork/Lohort-Castle.html

The massive walls are 10 feet thick at the base, narrowing to six feet at the top.

Lohort Castle was built by Donogh Og McDonagh McCarthy in 1496. The castle was taken by the Irish forces during the Civil War. One of the bloodiest battles of the English Civil War took place on the grounds of Lohort Castle in in 1647 when over 4,500 men were killed in battle. Lohort was bombarded by Oliver Cromwell's troops in 1650 and captured, but the castle withstood the cannon fire due to the immense strength of its 10 foot thick walls.

The castle as it now stands was rebuilt around 1750 by Sir John Percival, the Earl Of Egmont, and the Percivals lived there until the20th century when it was burned down by the IRA in 1922. Some of the fireplaces from nearby Kanturk Castle appear to have been relocated to Lohort Castle - this was probably done when Lohort Castle was restored in the 18th century.

Reactions: Mazdaman323lx
Great flying and editing, unique perspectives as usual from you @Mazdaman323lx

Hooked me with the magnificent tour from the front 'gate', up the wonderful driveway, and the castle !!

Now THAT is a castle built to resist invaders.
Vertical living, very hard to climb, no lower windows, archery slots in the walls, the staricases and multiple floor living means the occupants would not have skipped 'leg day' any day !!

I read up a bit on the castle https://www.britainirelandcastles.com/Ireland/County-Cork/Lohort-Castle.html

The massive walls are 10 feet thick at the base, narrowing to six feet at the top.

Lohort Castle was built by Donogh Og McDonagh McCarthy in 1496. The castle was taken by the Irish forces during the Civil War. One of the bloodiest battles of the English Civil War took place on the grounds of Lohort Castle in in 1647 when over 4,500 men were killed in battle. Lohort was bombarded by Oliver Cromwell's troops in 1650 and captured, but the castle withstood the cannon fire due to the immense strength of its 10 foot thick walls.

The castle as it now stands was rebuilt around 1750 by Sir John Percival, the Earl Of Egmont, and the Percivals lived there until the20th century when it was burned down by the IRA in 1922. Some of the fireplaces from nearby Kanturk Castle appear to have been relocated to Lohort Castle - this was probably done when Lohort Castle was restored in the 18th century.
Gotta love the history behind some of these Castles

Top shelf video. Nicely done!

Great video and flying. The wires at the beginning I imagine you knew about, but the wire coming off the tower at 2:20, may that have been pure luck that you missed it?

Great video and flying. The wires at the beginning I imagine you knew about, but the wire coming off the tower at 2:20, may that have been pure luck that you missed it?
No , I knew they were there as I walked the route before I set off . I was standing hidden from view but looking directly at that wire to the Castle . The drop into the castle was the risky shot as I had no way of knowing if there was anything to foul the props like some thin ivy protuding from the wall. Also , it broke my golden rule when flying a risky maneuver , I'll risk it as long as I can retrieve the drone should the worst happen . If it went down in the Castle there was no way in .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos