DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android Ipad 4 replacement

You apple guys are some overly-sensitive and persistent fellows. The OP asked for recommendations for an Android alternative to the ipad. So far he's gotten 2 good suggestions and about 20 people questioning his sanity and telling him to stay with ipad. Get over yourselves.
Just trying to save him some headaches...:D

Just trying to save him some headaches...:D
Headaches or not, he asked for an Android ipad 4 replacement. His reasoning was not the topic of discussion. A replacement means that he already has an ipad and he wants something other than an ipad. To tell him to get an ipad is a fatuous waste of time. In all of the many "Which ipad mini should I get" threads, I have yet to see anyone post and tell a person to get a Galaxy S2. Maybe I will have to start doing that.

Reactions: Masheen
I use both an Ipad mini 4 and Samsung Tab S2. They both work great. The tab s2 gives me more control over the DJI Go app, has a brighter OLED screen and allows for screen recording the DU Recorder. There are few Android devices that work, but when you find one, it's good. The S2 even works on Nougat with Lineage 14.1 ROM.

Headaches or not, he asked for an Android ipad 4 replacement. His reasoning was not the topic of discussion. A replacement means that he already has an ipad and he wants something other than an ipad. To tell him to get an ipad is a fatuous waste of time. In all of the many "Which ipad mini should I get" threads, I have yet to see anyone post and tell a person to get a Galaxy S2. Maybe I will have to start doing that.
Yeah, but maybe he wants an iPad...:D

Reactions: Weston Mavic pilot
It's possibly hard to get a hold of now but if I was looking to get an Android tablet for the Mavic I'd go for an Nvidia Shield and make sure it's running Android v6 Marshmallow (unless it's working better with v7 these days, having been keeping tabs on it) as it has a good reputation for use with the Mavic and more consistent than most Android devices.

John

It's possibly hard to get a hold of now but if I was looking to get an Android tablet for the Mavic I'd go for an Nvidia Shield and make sure it's running Android v6 Marshmallow (unless it's working better with v7 these days, having been keeping tabs on it) as it has a good reputation for use with the Mavic and more consistent than most Android devices.

John

I've tried the K1 Shield. I wasn't impressed. The screen is dim and washed out. The compass doesn't work at all. The Samsung Tab S2 is a much nicer device for Mavic. The OLED screen is much nicer than the outdated Shield screen. Also, the S2 7.9" model fits in the controller arms without modification, just like the Ipad Mini 4. I have the 9.7", but at one point had the 7.9" and it fits nicely.

I've tried the K1 Shield. I wasn't impressed. The screen is dim and washed out. The compass doesn't work at all. The Samsung Tab S2 is a much nicer device for Mavic. The OLED screen is much nicer than the outdated Shield screen. Also, the S2 7.9" model fits in the controller arms without modification, just like the Ipad Mini 4. I have the 9.7", but at one point had the 7.9" and it fits nicely.

While I like the Galaxy Tab S2 as an Android tablet, it has a much more mixed reputation for working well with Mavic.

John

While I like the Galaxy Tab S2 as an Android tablet, it has a much more mixed reputation for working well with Mavic.

John
That's because there are 2 versions. There are the T710/T810 which work perfectly. The newer version T713/T813 won't connect unless you reboot the tablet after connecting to controller. I've fixed the newer model by running a custom firmware, but the T710/T810 work perfectly out of the box.

That's because there are 2 versions. There are the T710/T810 which work perfectly. The newer version T713/T813 won't connect unless you reboot the tablet after connecting to controller. I've fixed the newer model by running a custom firmware, but the T710/T810 work perfectly out of the box.

Wow great info. If I end up with a 813 would you help me fix it?

Wow great info. If I end up with a 813 would you help me fix it?
The T810/813 screen is 9.7 inches. T710/713 is 8.0 inches. The T710 will fit better in the Mavic controller. You can get a new T710 on ebay for US$245.

You really don't want to go through rooting and ROMing this thing if you don't have to.

It wasnt offered to you or your needs.
As far as *approved* android devices go, lets not fool ourselves with DJIs pathetic programming in this regard.
I have a cheapo Chinese dedicated device from day one with mavic with the only issue caused by DJI dodgey FW programming. A simple FW downgrade for the mavic has had this device 100% error free for over 60 flights.
So take your advice or musings and ...
Yeah that makes perfect sense...downgrade the firmware on a $1,000 device in order to use a "cheapo Chinese" device to fly it with. Great advice!

Tell that to all other android users staying on .400 FW to avoid disconnects, NFZ, wind alerts etc etc etc etc etc etc

*Great advice* is when OP asks for Android options and dingbats/tossers come along trying to brainwash them into buying iOS rubbish in the same thread.
Now thats great advice!!
"Dingbats/tossers"...not familiar with the word "tosser", though I assume it wasn't a compliment. As I stated earlier, " I'm not an Apple guy", but whether I'm flying my $1k Mavic or my $6k I2 I want the most reliable device and currently that happens to be devices that run IOS. With that said, I do have the 7.8 Crystal Sky pre-ordered which is obviously Android. The issue(s) aren't so much with Android it's the fact the the android OS resides on so many different hardware platforms, thus making it a testing "nightmare" for DJI. With IOS its only a handful of devices. Even a "dingbat/tosser" like me can understand that.

Yet you ridicule people using cheap devices that are actually 100% reliable for the Mavic. My cheapo device is what i owned when i bought the mavic. So instinctively i used it. It has plenty of RAM and great video performance and now the new tab i received today has even better specs.
So here you are bashing android and you dont know a effing thing about. Otherwise you would not wish to look like a fool when the 14nm Intel Cherry Trail powered android is again totally sufficient to handle the needs of the mavic.
And who gives a ***** if DJI have a *nightmare* coding for androids? If they cant handle that then they should pack up and shut shop.
I 100% agree that if DJI can't get their platform to perform on the Android OS then they should halt production. Also, I don't need to know anything about Android OS, though I do have a Shield and Galaxy lying on my desk, the threads on these forums speak themselves.

Edit: Shoot over to the Spark forum and check out how well the android os is running with that platform

Why?
Does that give your iOS fetish more credibility?
We are talking about Mavic in this thread, not some gimmicky POS using totally different systems of communication.
My mistake...I thought we were discussing stable, reliable operating systems for use with DJI devices..

Last edited:
The thread is about Android replacements for the ipad. You should maybe read the title again and stay on topic. Nobody wants to hear about apple, stable or not. If you don't have any Android suggestions, then just move along.

This thread is about the OP asking for a andriod tablet, over the past few months all threads have been trolled with apple advocators.

Now due to the recent turn of heavy handed approach of dji, the reasons to go andriod is significant.

Like the OP, I to am looking for a reliable andriod tablet.

So please apple fan boys stop cluttering this thread.

u guys need to stop bickering about IOS vs. Android!

Maybe the guy just didn't read the thread title correctly. Maybe the guy has an Apple product and is concerned that the OP is having issues all of the sudden and he doesn't want to be blindsided by the same issues.

I used Android exclusively until I got the Mavic. I was totally against Apple. I tried my Galaxy note4 and also an Nvidia Shield K1. Both experienced DJIgo4 app crashes during midflight. Nothing like flying and then suddenly your screen goes blank and u get a message the app experienced a problem and needed to close.

After reading all of the members here that were using Ipads and Iphones and were NOT experiencing problems, I decide to get an Ipad mini4 for use with the Mavic exclusively. I couldn't be happier. I have had it for 4 months now and have had NO ISSUES at all.

I will continue to peruse these forums and until I read about an Android tablet that is problem free and can fit into the remote controller without modifying it, I will continue to use my Ipad mini4.

Just my $0.02

u guys need to stop bickering about IOS vs. Android!

Maybe the guy just didn't read the thread title correctly. Maybe the guy has an Apple product and is concerned that the OP is having issues all of the sudden and he doesn't want to be blindsided by the same issues.

I used Android exclusively until I got the Mavic. I was totally against Apple. I tried my Galaxy note4 and also an Nvidia Shield K1. Both experienced DJIgo4 app crashes during midflight. Nothing like flying and then suddenly your screen goes blank and u get a message the app experienced a problem and needed to close.

After reading all of the members here that were using Ipads and Iphones and were NOT experiencing problems, I decide to get an Ipad mini4 for use with the Mavic exclusively. I couldn't be happier. I have had it for 4 months now and have had NO ISSUES at all.

I will continue to peruse these forums and until I read about an Android tablet that is problem free and can fit into the remote controller without modifying it, I will continue to use my Ipad mini4.

Just my $0.02
Exactly the case with me...never thought I would be called an "Apple fanboy", especially since I'm a VB.net & C# programmer for the worlds largest ERP company and it won't even run on an Apple/Mac OS. Warning be prepare to get ridiculed by some "wanna be hackers".

Everyone knows that DJI go 4 app on IOS platform has very few or no crashes but like I said I already own a ipad 4 which isn't compatible with go4 app.

Now with all talk of DJI going to defcon 1. With apple you can't easily go back to a older version of the app nor does it allow you to install customized apk like in andriod. Who knows what DJI are collecting, it is after all a Chinese company possibly giving info to the Chinese government and a week or so ago there was news that Australian senator was flying a mavic.The chinese products from Huawei to xiaomi to Dahua etc all known to have been collecting data.

So hence looking for as much feedback on which ANDRIOD tablets that work without crashes and which is also smooth, lag free.

PS. I have nothing against apple. Had I bought a mavic when it was launched I would have bought a ipad 4 mini but I bought the mavic in end of May, after which I learn that dji is changing terms and conditions for their app,forced updates, country specific limitations and what not.

So with a andriod device I can atleast, make sure the mavic works the way it was advertised when I bought it, let alone the advantages of the new mods.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard