DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android phone microSD in the drone without further formatting

lomposlapos

Reactions
Can a Samsung A53 android phone formatted microSD card just be removed from the phone, inserted into the drone, and used WITHOUT formatting again in the drone? In other words, would a phone-formatted card, as is, be fully operational in the drone?

Last edited:
Can a Samsung A53 android phone formatted microSD card just be removed from the phone, inserted into the drone, and used WITHOUT formatting again in the drone? In other words, would a phone-asformatted card, as is, be fully operational in the drone?

As stated above by @mavic3usa (and done so accurately BTW), most likely so but the ONLY way to know for sure is to test it out. I used to format all of my SD cards "in camera" but found out that had no effect and now just format all of my cards in the laptop and call it a day.

Does the device format the card to Fat 32 If so then you can do it. as Mavic3usa pointed out you will just have to try to make sure. You can't hurt anything trying so give it a go.

Reactions: BigAl07
Does the device format the card to Fat 32
FAT32 will work fine. exFAT is a bit newer spec, I think most recent devices will format to exFAT by default, which will work fine in the quad also.

Reactions: Cafguy
As stated above by @mavic3usa (and done so accurately BTW), most likely so but the ONLY way to know for sure is to test it out. I used to format all of my SD cards "in camera" but found out that had no effect and now just format all of my cards in the laptop and call it a day.
Of course, the absolute sure-fire way is to format it in the drone. While that wasn't the question, I think it worth mentioning, as I've had exFAT and FAT32 cards formatted in phones and laptops and then had them mysteriously not work in the aircraft... But I can't remember a time a card formatted in the drone was incompatible with a different device.

It's undoubtedly happened, but I expect others here have had a similar experience – drone-formatted is pretty reliable outside the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga