DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android tablets!!! Help

Shadowcatcher

Reactions
Good morning and Merry Christmas to all. I recently purchased a Samsung tab a 8 inch android 8.0 32 gig tab., model SMT387 . I've read where folks have downloaded the dji fly app with great success on this device but don't explain how. My eyesight isn't that great so for now I'm restricted to flying in my back yard. I would really like a bigger screen so I could change my parameters in flight. Also does anyone believe dji will release the fly app to the play store any time soon???
Thank's

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
You can download the apk file directly from DJI to your mobile device using the link below. Open the downloaded file on your tablet to start the installation. You may have a setting to allow installation of apps from unknown sources.

I tried several times and when I try to download it says app not installed, but it's in my documents, must be doing something wrong, unknown sources is on .

Reactions: old man mavic
Just got off the phone with Samsung support, they told me to have patience, they feel confident the app for dji fly will be available soon, it's just too new of an application, holding my breath. !!!!!!! Also texted dji with my concerns, will post when I receive a response.

I tried several times and when I try to download it says app not installed, but it's in my documents, must be doing something wrong, unknown sources is on .

What is happening exactly with the download? It should place an apk file on your tablet which you can then 'open' to install the software on your tablet, how far are you getting with that?

I've just checked on my Samsung tablet and the DJi Fly app does show in the Play Store so I don't know why it's not showing for you, I assume it thinks there's an incompatibility.

The fly app isn't in the play store on my tab A note. I did get it as far as download then apk file, then it moves to staging and asks if I want to download, it tries but then I get the message app not installed, that's as far as I can get.

Play store probably doesn't present the Fly app if the device doesn't meet specs. The limitation is probably installed RAM. 4GB may be the spec requirements but many manage to get Fly to work with less with manual install.

Reactions: Shadowcatcher
Thank's for your response. I'm not that tech savvy at all on how to manually install. I'm going to seek help from a computer geek friend of mine tomorrow, I'll let you know what transpires. I really hope it works, I can't afford another device, again thank you very much and have a blessed holiday.

FWIW - At this point DJI does not support any Android tablets. I wish they did. I purchased a Samsung Tab (I don't recall which model) on Black Friday in hopes of it working with the DJI Fly app. Since it didn't officially work, I ended up returning the tablet. From what I understand, if you do manage to get the app installed on a tablet, it will just look like it's on a phone. The best bet would be a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 or above.

Reactions: harle83
Is this specific to the Fly app? I run Go4 on my Samsung tablet no problem. Tab S3 10inch. I also installed on my Samsung Tab S8inch but too slow/old and the video is laggy.

It is my understanding the the Fly app is DJI's only Android app that requires the 64 bit Android operating system (OS). If you have a 32 bit OS, you won't see Fly in the Play Store and it will fail to install if you try to sideload (install directly from a downloaded .apk file) it. None of my devices worked, so I bought a ZTE 6" phone on Amazon for $90. Here's a photo of that phone running Fly:

20191222_153340.jpg

Reactions: NealJ777
Is this specific to the Fly app? I run Go4 on my Samsung tablet no problem. Tab S3 10inch. I also installed on my Samsung Tab S8inch but too slow/old and the video is laggy.
Fly app works OK on my 10" S3. It even appears in Play. I can't recall if it's letter boxed, but I don't think so. Letter boxing seems to be more of an issue with iPads. I definitely didn't have to do any magnification with my S3. S3 does have 4GB installed.

Reactions: Dave Maine
Good morning and Merry Christmas to all. I recently purchased a Samsung tab a 8 inch android 8.0 32 gig tab., model SMT387 . I've read where folks have downloaded the dji fly app with great success on this device but don't explain how. My eyesight isn't that great so for now I'm restricted to flying in my back yard. I would really like a bigger screen so I could change my parameters in flight. Also does anyone believe dji will release the fly app to the play store any time soon???
Thank's
I've got a tab A,
Thank's
Is your Galaxy Tab A 32 bit or 64 bit ( not Gb)...from what I understand dji fly only operates on a 64 bit system ( someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

I've got a tab A,

Is your Galaxy Tab A 32 bit or 64 bit ( not Gb)...from what I understand dji fly only operates on a 64 bit system ( someone please correct me if I'm wrong)
AFAIK that's the real sticking point. You can download an app like 64Bit Checker from the Play Store to see if you have a 64 bit OS.

Hi There are some tablets that run android and windows, you choose when you turn it on but whether it runs at 32 or 64bit I'm not sure, perhaps anyone that has one may reply.

FWIW - At this point DJI does not support any Android tablets. I wish they did. I purchased a Samsung Tab (I don't recall which model) on Black Friday in hopes of it working with the DJI Fly app. Since it didn't officially work, I ended up returning the tablet. From what I understand, if you do manage to get the app installed on a tablet, it will just look like it's on a phone. The best bet would be a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 or above.

This is true, I have held on to all my iOS devices for this reason. I have a brand new Tab S6 even has Go 4 on it for my Air and Spark and I’m not even gonna think about it. My 10.5 Pro continues to work flawlessly with them and DJI doesn’t just say it but there’s a reason you find their stuff in Apple Stores. I wish they’d just say Android- use at your own risk. I think it would solve many problems pilots have with the Foy Apps. Both my Tables are also LTE Devices.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast