DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android USB Charging disable?

It still charges, so I think I'm just going to make a data only cable.

Developer options does jack all

Reactions: Dazzler24
Hi i read somewhere that the disable charging function is only available on apple devices. I have a Note 9 that i use and i have the same problem.

Hi i read somewhere that the disable charging function is only available on apple devices. I have a Note 9 that i use and i have the same problem.

Interesting, I wonder if I can disable it with an IOS device and then use the remote with my android phone. I'll give it a try later

Guys after the last update I can confirm that remote controller battery now charges phone less, as after 2 flights remote battery is at more than 50%. Which is very good. Meaning fly more combo can work with 1 charge of remote control.

Interesting, I wonder if I can disable it with an IOS device and then use the remote with my android phone. I'll give it a try later

OK, I tried the above, it appears as an option on IOS devices. Disabled charging, then turned off the RC and M2.
Connected up again with android device, guess what..... Still bloody charges!! :(

Reactions: marcomcarneiro
Yes, that hasn't changed. Androids will always charge as far as RC is concerned. It should only be 500ma max.

So I sort of have a solution for Samsung owners that have devices that can be rooted...
There is an app called "Battery Charge Limit" in the Play Store. The app was designed to stop charging at certain percents.
I noticed that on my Note 5 and my Tab S2 it would properly stop charging. The only problem was there was no button in the app to stop the charging, just a percent window.
I figured out what parameter and file in the sys folder was actually stopping the charging....
So I reached out to the developer (via XDA) and asked him if he could implement a switch that would turn off and on charging with a switch in the app. He did!

Here is the app that was modified directly by the developer. StackPath
I know its not the best solution but it works for some Samsung Android owners.

For other android devices besides Samsung, there are other methods that the manufacturers use to stop and start charging.
My suggestion is to get the "Disable Battery Charging" app to figure out the method your device uses to stop charging.
One you have that then you can see if there are other apps that might work.

Please post here if you have a device that the "Battery Charge Limit" app I posted works for.

Cheers!

Reactions: Budy
Does anyone know how to disable USB charging on Android?
Perhaps a data only usb cable I can buy?
It really sucks that it auto charges the phone. It will basically drop the battery of the controller in one flight.

In the GO4 App for the Mavic 2Pro/Zoom there is a selectable option in the setting to enable or disable phone charging (Controler charging the cell phone). I do not use this option so I can't tell you if it works or not but it is there in the GO4 App.

In the GO4 App for the Mavic 2Pro/Zoom there is a selectable option in the setting to enable or disable phone charging (Controler charging the cell phone). I do not use this option so I can't tell you if it works or not but it is there in the GO4 App.
the switch is for iOS only doesn't work for android

The android API itself doesn't allow for no charge via cable so that isn;t going to get fixed by Go4.
The only solution would be a physical hardware change in the RC. Which isn't going to happen either.

Fortunately its a complete non issue anyway.

Reactions: mnis
The android API itself doesn't allow for no charge via cable so that isn;t going to get fixed by Go4.
The only solution would be a physical hardware change in the RC. Which isn't going to happen either.

Fortunately its a complete non issue anyway.
That's not true. Theres an option to turn it off in developer mode but the controller kicks it back to "charge this phone". Also theres ways to turn of charging with a rooted phone, I have done it with a Note 5. So this can be fixed if there was a team effort. Uggg. Sucks that I have to essentially look for a rootable phone or buy am iPhone to get this fixed. :(

Ive always accepted this as a 7.0 Nougat thing. Does it happen on later builds?
If I brought a new Samsung s9 or s10 or whatever they are up to and i still happened I would be
pissed.

Only Android device I have that actually accepts your decision to transfer or charge
is the Nvidia Shield tablet. Which is 7.0 Nougat. Strange

So many Naysayers.

If you want to keep your RC from attempting to charge an Android - and other Android customization for drones - DJI specifically. I've started doing this for the past couple years or so. For the newer Android versions, in the Dev Options make sure 'USB Debugging' is on. Also, look for 'USB Configuration'. Click it and choose any setting other than 'charging'. That will stop the RC attempting to charge the phone. Wish I'd seen your post earlier. You're lucky I went to the last post and posted this. I've run into so many naysayers who tell me assuredly that it can't be done. Hogwash - and without rooting - and on my CrystalSky Ultra 7.85 which runs Android 4.xx. I get great battery life on my RC - from both my Note 8 and the CS.

Install DJI GO on an Android Tablet or Phone (Step-by-Step Guide)

Last edited:
Reactions: FoxhallGH
So many Naysayers.

If you want to keep your RC from attempting to charge an Android - and other Android customization for drones - DJI specifically. I've started doing this for the past couple years or so. For the newer Android versions, in the Dev Options make sure 'USB Debugging' is on. Also, look for 'USB Configuration'. Click it and choose any setting other than 'charging'. That will stop the RC attempting to charge the phone. Wish I'd seen your post earlier. You're lucky I went to the last post and posted this. I've run into so many naysayers who tell me assuredly that it can't be done. Hogwash - and without rooting - and on my CrystalSky Ultra 7.85 which runs Android 4.xx. I get great battery life on my RC - from both my Note 8 and the CS.

I've enabled developer mode in my Crystalsky Ultra: Settings--->About--->System version, then tap System version seven times.

However, once in developer mode, I cannot for the life of me find a sub-menu under USB debugging which appears to just have an enable/disable slider.

Any help?

Last edited:
I've enabled developer mode in my Crystalsky Ultra: Settings--->About--->System version, then tap System version seven times.

However, once in developer mode, I cannot for the life of me find a sub-menu under USB debugging which appears to just have an enable/disable slider.

Any help?
There is no menu in USB Debugging. Just click it on or off.

The USB selection is in the 'USB Configuration' in the Developers Option.

Did you see the link to the Android Guide?

Reactions: JAW
I Did all this on my Huwawei m5 and still doesn't work as soon as I open Go 4 just keeps going back to charging mode

Will a "data only" cable solve the issue? I can get one, but it's $10 shipped from China.

Last edited:
I tried lots of different cables but none stoped the charging so don't no what to tell you on just data cable but good luck

Turning off USB charging on a rooted device is actually pretty straightforward and it simply involves writing 0 to a specific block device after the charging source is connected. This is what BatteryChargeLimit app does.
  1. You're going to need a rooted phone.
  2. Download and install this app: Battery Charge Limit [ROOT] - Apps on Google Play
  3. Run the app, set the charge limit to something sane like 50%, 20%. This means your phone will now only start charging if the battery is below 50% when first plugged in, then, as long as it remains plugged in after it's charged to 50%, it won't resume charging unless the battery is drained to 20%.
  4. When you actually want to charge your phone to 100%, just tap "DISABLE" in the notification popup. This disables the limit until you unplug the charger.
  5. Adjust the limits as you find them suitable for your personal needs.
Assuming you're using a fully charged phone to fly, this blocks charging from the controller until you reach 20% battery in your phone. At this point, the controller will be allowed to charge it up to 50%, and then it will stop. Try to set the limit to below your current battery percentage and see if it works by plugging it into the wall charger. If it doesn't, go to app options and try some positions marked as EXPERIMENTAL under "Set Control File".

My RC now drains at 1% per 3 minutes instead of 1% every 40 seconds.

If you're running something like Tasker, you can just make a task to cat 0 into the file. The changes don't persist after a reboot, so you need a background service (like the app mentioned), a tasker script, an init.d entry or whatever you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929