DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anemometer

Welcome to the forum @Clarknobby drone - I'd make two suggestions:
1) If you buy a hand-held anemometer (like Porky suggests above), then use it to train yourself to recognise wind-speed i.e. how far are trees bending, branches moving etc. - so you get to the stage where you can just look at the surroundings and know that the wind speed is e.g. 'about 8 mph' ...
2) Second thing is to know that usually, wind speed at ground level, is a whole lot different than a hundred feet off the ground. You'll see a lot of stories in the forum where Drones have popped up on 'Return to Home' and been blown away by stronger winds at altitude. Get yourself an app' like 'UAV Forcast' or 'Ventusky' that will tell you what the wind is doing at various altitude breaks over your head. That will then give you clues about how best to get your Mavic back to you at the end of the flight ...

Here is the one I keep in my Flight Pack just in case.

As stated above, the wind aloft is usually different (Speed and possibly direction) than weather at your launch point. Also moving just a few meters can have a drastic effect on wind speed & direction. Use it as a reference point only but if the wind on the ground is too much you can bet your bottom dollar up higher it's worse.

Welcome to the forum :)

Reactions: Former Member
This one is free. You'll probably never have any practical use for an anemometer to be honest. If you think it's too windy to fly then it probably is. The Beaufort Scale has been in use since the early 1800's and doesn't need batteries.

Reactions: Porky
This also might help, windguru Windguru forecast map
Move the pointer to you location and it will give you the wind speed. Along the bottom it has a days of the week forecast which is very useful ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147