DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Angry neighbor

Wives out of town, neighbor invited me to dinner. Showed him Mavic videos and flight routs. But for 20 mph wind we would have flown Mavic.

Neighbor has an outdoor shower. After I bought drone, and maybe my second story launch/land deck is near hid shower, he installed a shower curtain above shower . He told me it was because of sun. Could be.

Garden hose is likely good too.

You'd have to be a much better athlete than me to have a good chance hitting a mavic with a beer can or rock.

I also don't really see the difference between using an air rifle and a shotgun as long as it's safe and legal to discharge firearms.

A stray cat is perhaps the second best method.

It can depend, on where you live. Some places have no ordinances against BB Guns and Air Rifles. Most have one about firearms. Air rifle is usually not considered a firearm, certainly not in the south. Only places that have anything against air rifles here are inside of the bigger city limits, out in the rural areas where I'm at there are only firearms discharged within 1000' of a residence ordinances.

If you are in my backyard with a drone and close enough that I can throw a net or hit it with a garden hose, you deserve any damage that happens.

Yep.
If you can hit my Mavic over your yard I'm not calling the police, I'm calling the Olympics Sharpshooter team or the Marines.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

I've sued someone in small claims court and won, over 10 years ago, and still haven't collected a dime. $1150 - about the cost of a Mavic as a matter of fact. My next step, at my expense, would be to hire an attorney at my cost, and try to file for a lien against their car, house or whatever. And even that's not a guarantee of collecting. What if they die before selling the property with the lien, and 5 other people ahead of me also have liens against them, totaling more than the value of their property? Would I get a dime? I don't really know. That's why I've never pursued it further.

This is a bunch of, to speak your language, Bravo Sierra. It will cost you more money than a new drone would cost. Even if you are able to recoup lawyers' fees, you'll be out that money for years.

Better idea: Take them to Judge Judy!

LOL yeah then she can tell them: "You sir are a LOSER for shooting down a Mavic!"

hqdefault.jpg

Wives out of town, neighbor invited me to dinner. Showed him Mavic videos and flight routs. But for 20 mph wind we would have flown Mavic.

Neighbor has an outdoor shower. After I bought drone, and maybe my second story launch/land deck is near hid shower, he installed a shower curtain above shower . He told me it was because of sun. Could be.

Wonder if anyone with a drone lives near South Beach in Miami? The nude beach... lol

The guy is probably hiding some perverted or illegal activity in his backyard. Why else would he be so paranoid. I'd continue with the surveillance because slomething sounds fishy!

In the US. And no, the time to file a civil suit is minimal, the criminal complaint is a bit trickier, but because of the value of the device in question it raises to the level of a felony in most states. Again, you can't just damage someone elses property just because it bothers you...

DEFENDING a civil suit, tagged with a criminal complaint to boot, on the other hand.... not so fun. And the best part: judges love punishing idiots that take the law into their own hands even more than they hate drones (I know, right!).

I'm not here to provide legal advice, but let's just say I am a mild authority on the matter ;-).

Just believe me when I say: no matter how tempting it may be, and no matter how much of a bad *** you are, you had better understand the laws you are breaking before you damage my $1000 drone... ignorance is not a defense, and there are people like me that would like nothing more than to make an example out of vigilante drone justice. I would push it every step of the way (and remember: it can even be a felony in certain situations (just for the damage of property! not even the FAA rules for aircraft).

Remember that in this scenario I am the law abiding pilot, the vigilante on the ground is now a criminal. Just don't do it ;-)

Reactions: cderoche
The guy is probably hiding some perverted or illegal activity in his backyard. Why else would he be so paranoid. I'd continue with the surveillance because slomething sounds fishy!

And post a video of his suspicious activity here so we can analyze it as a team :D

A good example: My neighbor was building a treehouse for his kids yesterday. He was using a fairly loud saw, and it was audible throughout the neighborhood. It was 4PM, and besides taking a really long time, nothing was out of the ordinary really.

Now say I waltz on over and lecture him about how that treehouse (which could potentially be used for spying... just saying) he's making is really annoying me, and even though he is well within his rights and the law, gosh I sure wish he'd stop. He says: "no thanks, I am not violating any law or ordinance, and I am going to do this, but I'm sorry it bothers you" and politely asks me to leave.

If I come back that night and burn the treehouse to the ground (remember... I can cry in front of a judge about how he was potentially using it to invade my privacy AND complain about what a jerk he was when I politely asked him not to noisily build it in the first place...), and then post my justice on youtube as "vindication" (for my a-hole neighbor not respecting my polite requests), guess who's going to jail?

Hint: it ain't him ;-)

So remember that the next time someone threatens to "shoot your drone out of the sky". If you aren't breaking any laws or ordinances, they can pound sand. Sure, you can be "nice" about it, but all that does is validate that threatening you is a valid way for the idiot to get what he wants. I know we're a nerdy bunch in general, but come on guys and gals: grow a pair! (or not... for the gals... but you know what I mean!)

Noob here...

Had my first run-in with a neighbor who apparently isn't a fan of drones. He followed my mavic back to my house, got out of his van and confronted me. He told me he didn't want me flying over his property. I asked him where he lives but he just told me the street name. He told me if I fly over his property he'll shoot it down. I told him if he did he'll have the police at his door.

I drove down his road and saw his van. He's only a street away so I've probably flown over him several times, always 250-400 ft.

Question is, should I go to the police to let them know about the threat to shoot it down? Not to press charges or anything - just to document the threat in case he either carries out his threat or visits my house again in the future now that he knows where I live. He lives close enough that it would be hard to fly in the area and not go over or near his property.

Any similar experiences out there?

He doesn't own the airspace but if he shoots your drone down. I'm sure he would have broken additional laws on top of destruction of private property.

Sounds very simple, avoid his house. In fact try leaving your own garden and visiting the many amazing places to film.

Yep.
I only fly around my neighborhood to practice flying now or when there's no time to travel somewhere. Seen everything there is around here, nothing exciting. Sometimes better stuff isn't far away, and like this one I did yesterday, flew over no one's house. Some footage of the swamp, a river, and boat launch. Was amazed I made it to that Interstate Bridge, it's over 2 miles out!

Just used an ND32 lens filter, 2k 24fps video and 50fps shutter speed. I think my style was cloudy, and I think Sharp/Color/Sat was -1,+1,+1 --- Still not sure whats best for that setting, so many opinions on that. Might just leave it all flat 0,0,0 next time. I find its over saturated usually. Filmed in D-Log mode.

Used Adobe Photoshop to process it, basically all I did there - aside from placing the different clips together and adding the music, and the transition effects, was use the Auto settings for brightness/contrast, then for the levels and the curves settings I click that generate a more accurate histogram button on the bottom, before clicking auto. The Vibrance it depends on each scene how much I add if any. Don't normally touch saturation. I'm sure real photography gurus probably cringe at what I'm doing, but it works for me and its a pretty simple routine that works for most of my videos. Of course if I hear of or learn of better ways I will try em out as long as its not above my head!upload_2017-8-16_9-21-53.png upload_2017-8-16_9-25-17.png

Last edited:

No it's not. It's exactly the same. He's "bothering" me, not violating any laws, I asked him to stop, he politely declined. The height is relevant only in that his treehouse COULD be peering into my home. I can't prove it is, or if his kids bring devices that have cameras on them up inside to play with...

I'll tell you what: you can keep folding like a cheap suit everytime something you have EVERY RIGHT to do "bothers" someone (especially if they threaten you over it...), but I prefer to not back down in the face of someone that has an attitude so bad they follow me home, all in order to confront and threaten me over a drone passing by their house at 400ft (and the mild hum it emits).

Just because something bothers you does not mean everyone has to stop immediately or it makes them a bad person because they won't bend to your will. If they aren't breaking the law, you don't get to dictate what someone can or can't do just because your panties are in a wad over it.

If you are "neighborly" and approach me like an adult, explain why it bothers you so much, and ask me politely to stop, odds are I will at minimum consider it. Storm over and threaten to shoot it down if I do it again will NOT result in me "wanting you as a friend" or "bringing you beer" though... But if you are that type of person that appeases bullies than so be it. I am not. And every bully that you appease on THIS subject, grants more credibility to the idea that drones shouldn't be allowed anywhere. After all, even at 10,000 feet away they might "invade" privacy by being able to make out a fuzzy lump that sort of looks like someone's daughter.

We HAVE rules. Follow those rules, and there's no need to be weaker than circus lemonade anytime someone confronts you. The difference is: I respect your right to be weak. I'd prefer you weren't, as it is hurting my hobby, but it's your right to exercise, not mine.

No it's not. It's exactly the same. He's "bothering" me, not violating any laws, I asked him to stop, he politely declined. The height is relevant only in that his treehouse COULD be peering into my home. I can't prove it is, or if his kids bring devices that have cameras on them up inside to play with...

I'll tell you what: you can keep folding like a cheap suit everytime something you have EVERY RIGHT to do "bothers" someone (especially if they threaten you over it...), but I prefer to not back down in the face of someone that has an attitude so bad they follow me home, all in order to confront and threaten me over a drone passing by their house at 400ft (and the mild hum it emits).

Just because something bothers you does not mean everyone has to stop immediately or it makes them a bad person because they won't bend to your will. If they aren't breaking the law, you don't get to dictate what someone can or can't do just because your panties are in a wad over it.

If you are "neighborly" and approach me like an adult, explain why it bothers you so much, and ask me politely to stop, odds are I will at minimum consider it. Storm over and threaten to shoot it down if I do it again will NOT result in me "wanting you as a friend" or "bringing you beer" though... But if you are that type of person that appeases bullies than so be it. I am not. And every bully that you appease on THIS subject, grants more credibility to the idea that drones shouldn't be allowed anywhere. After all, even at 10,000 feet away they might "invade" privacy by being able to make out a fuzzy lump that sort of looks like someone's daughter.

We HAVE rules. Follow those rules, and there's no need to be weaker than circus lemonade anytime someone confronts you. The difference is: I respect your right to be weak. I'd prefer you weren't, as it is hurting my hobby, but it's your right to exercise, not mine.

I still say FAA and local governments just need to agree upon a minimum altitude, with the assumption you don't have some drone with a big zoom lens on it. For something like a Mavic, why don't they just say stay above 300 feet or 400 feet or something. Hard to make out much detail on a person from up there. I agree, there is normally a better way to approach someone you have an issue with, right or wrong, then starting off with threats... Considering you can't tell what the drone is pointing at, camera is filming or not, or what the operator's intentions really are. Its not cut and dry normally. Now if you're hovering 5 foot off the ground making your drone peer into the bathroom or bedroom window, it deserves to get shot down, and the operator deserves a good butt chewing. I'd still avoid flying over that guy's house, right or wrong, just because he's being a jerk about it. You're still flying your drone, he isn't winning or controlling you. And you get to do what you want anyway and he has no more excuse to come whine at your door. I think if you do that and the guy sees you're avoiding his property - and he's not a total jerk, and maybe just misunderstood what you were doing, maybe he'll apologize later on. Maybe post some of your photos or videos online where he can access it, so he can see what you really use it for.

Last edited:

You know you're right. Then you could just stay 500+ feet up most people would barely hear and most likely never notice it.

Last edited:
I still think that if I'm in my backyard, which is not visable from the street, and there is a drone flying 20' off the ground, a judge is likely to side with me when it gets knocked out of the sky.

I'd avoid flying over his house since if he's crazy enough to shoot down your drone then he might also be crazy enough to show up at your doorstep with a gun. There are a lot of people out there that think drones are an invasion of their privacy & are willing to take matters into their own hands. Police can't stop crazy.

A person has a right to reasonable expectation of privacy when they seclude themselves from the public eye ( there is precedence for this ), such as within their or others home, public bathrooms, dressing rooms ect.. hovering or traveling over a persons real property for more than 1 minute is considered Surveillance ( there is precedence for this as well ), simply flying or traversing over real property owned by others is not illegal ( Here in Florida ) provided you are in compliance with any Federal, State & Local regulation(s), and have have good liability insurance just in case your Mavic falls out of the sky ( Imagine that, could that possibly be ?? ) and causes damage to said neighbor !!!!

An Update On Drone Privacy Concerns - Law360

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11