DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another battery question.

skunky1

Reactions
I’m a little confused here.

So I’ve flown today and used 2 batteries to around 25 %

I’m only planning to fly again in 7-14 days time.

So must I :

1. keep it as is until I will fly again then charge full.

2. charge up to 60% and store

3. charge to 100% then let it self discharge. What setting must it be on the app.

I just chuck the batteries in the box in their current condition. Then when I need them, charge them up and off I go.
Never had any problems.

There is no need to pamper them.

So for me, option 1

Reactions: Lauee
60% is a holding charge for longer periods. For 7-14 days 25% is fine.

you should be fine for a week at that level ,just check them every 3-4,days to make sure they still have the same level ,even the MM batts will very slowly lose some charge over time

Reactions: Tommy85

So must I :

3. charge to 100% then let it self discharge. What setting must it be on the app.

The big question is are you sure your going to fly within 2 weeks or be available to babysit them? Why even risk anything Just charge them up and let them do there own thing to storage till you do fly them again.. Crap happens in life, play it safe IMHO.

The big question is are you sure your going to fly within 2 weeks or be available to babysit them? Why even risk anything Just charge them up and let them do there own thing to storage till you do fly them again.. Crap happens in life, play it safe IMHO.
Charging them up, then letting them self discharge, is a strategy that may give you peace of mind, but it does add a full charge cycle to the batteries, ultimately reducing their life expectancy. By leaving them at 25%, checking periodically, you reduce the number of charge cycles, and increase the battery life overall. If 7-14 days passes and you are still not sure they will be used soon, then you could charge to 60-75% (rather than 100%). This does take more TLC and attention, but maximizes battery life. LiPo batteries are not cheap!

Reactions: Reagan and skunky1
Charging them up, then letting them self discharge, is a strategy that may give you peace of mind, but it does add a full charge cycle to the batteries, ultimately reducing their life expectancy. By leaving them at 25%, checking periodically, you reduce the number of charge cycles, and increase the battery life overall. If 7-14 days passes and you are still not sure they will be used soon, then you could charge to 60-75% (rather than 100%). This does take more TLC and attention, but maximizes battery life. LiPo batteries are not cheap!

I like your approach.

So at which charge level does the battery actually record a charge ?

Although there is a charge counter, I do not know at what level it will increment the counter.What is really important is how much charging is performed overall. So, as far as life expectancy is concerned, any amount of recharging reduces the future life of the battery. So if you were to charge to 100% and then let it discharge automatically to 60% that eats more of the life expectancy than if you just charge it to 60% in the 1st place. Hope I am making this clear.

Reactions: skunky1

So must I :

Def No 1

I run my out to 25% or less, have two low battery warning, one at 30% the other at critical low 10 %. I am just the opposite, of not, letting things hit the fan. This system has been working fine for four year now, still on my original batteries, took advice from older flyer a number of years ago. I check on the charge once a week, usually have been flying every other week. I keep my batteries in safe bags, and in addition, fire proof container, where its not extremely hot nor cold.

I run my out to 25% or less, have two low battery warning, one at 30% the other at critical low 10 %. I am just the opposite, of not, letting things hit the fan. This system has been working fine for four year now, still on my original batteries, took advice from older flyer a number of years ago. I check on the charge once a week, usually have been flying every other week. I keep my batteries in safe bags, and in addition, fire proof container, where its not extremely hot nor cold.

So as per option 1 you only charge up on the day you intend flying?

Also at which point I read there is a need to discharge the batteries to 0 or have I misread that ?
@apeel

Also at which point I read there is a need to discharge the batteries to 0 or have I misread that ?
@apeel

Never discharge to 0%. DJI will have allowed a small remaining charge when 0% is displayed to prevent the cells voltages dropping to 3.0-Volts, which is the point at which damage will occur.

60% is a good holding charge for longer periods.

@apeel
YES, The day of the flight, have my batteries numbered, rotate them if only going out for 1/2 hour if longer charge two. Answer your question?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661