DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another crash, what are the rules on this?

Anyone but a moron would have an idea what he would be charged to repair the damage

I know Texas and some other mostly southern states have "critical infrastructure" restrictions, but I've never heard of an FAA restriction (other than flying safely) that applies elsewhere in the USA. If someone could point to a specific FAA regulation, I'd appreciate it.
If you go to the Drone Zone, there really is not a restriction.
Safety Guidance
To fly under The Exception for Recreational Flyers, you must:

• Register your drone
  • Fly only for recreational purposes
  • Follow the safety guidelines of a community based organization
  • Keep your drone within the visual line of sight or use a visual observer
  • Give way and do not interfere with any manned aircraft
  • Get prior authorization before operating in controlled airspace
  • Fly at or below 400’ in uncontrolled airspace
  • Comply with all airspace restrictions

You could have known, after all, they have a central intelligence agency...
Whoa! Hold on Cowboy. If’n ya’ll be a talkin’ bout that place called DC, then ya’ll need to take common sense completely outta the picture! They flushed that down the toilet years ago!

Reactions: Drgnfli and pmshop
This video is from 3 1/2 years ago prior to 107. A lot of rules and regs have changed since then, so the common sense issue would be at the top of the list at the time of the video. His other video is at Eagles Nest Lake in New Mexico, so it appears he is in the US. Unless there was significant damage to the blade and the owner saw this video to identify him, nothing would have happened to him other than the damage to his drone/camera. His drone would not be a high enough value that it would have been required to report to the FAA, even under 107. And the FAA was not big into social media and tracking down violators back then. So the positive of this video is that it at least presents a good example of a lack of common sense and flight safety.

This video is from 3 1/2 years ago prior to 107. A lot of rules and regs have changed since then, so the common sense issue would be at the top of the list at the time of the video. His other video is at Eagles Nest Lake in New Mexico, so it appears he is in the US. Unless there was significant damage to the blade and the owner saw this video to identify him, nothing would have happened to him other than the damage to his drone/camera. His drone would not be a high enough value that it would have been required to report to the FAA, even under 107. And the FAA was not big into social media and tracking down violators back then. So the positive of this video is that it at least presents a good example of a lack of common sense and flight safety.

The only law NM has in place is restricting airspace over Los Alamos National Laboratory.
Even then, that is a National FAA reg.
However, lost of pending laws:

While I normally do not 'encourage' illegal behavior, I will admit that I enjoyed watching this. I was surprised how many 'close calls' the operator had in this video. It was clear how it was going to end.

One thing to consider is that these types of wind turbines are know to hit and kill many birds, including hawks and in some cases, eagles, which would normally fly faster than our drones. It goes to show how difficult it is to judge the speed of these turbines, especially as you approach the tips. Even though it looks like the blades are turning rather slowly, I read one article where the tips of these turbines (especially, the newer, longer blades) travel at 100mph or more, which is what causes the bird strikes (who also appear to have difficulty judging the speed of the blades).

Reactions: MKurr
Whoa! Hold on Cowboy. If’n ya’ll be a talkin’ bout that place called DC, then ya’ll need to take common sense completely outta the picture! They flushed that down the toilet years ago!
There is socalled high IQ there (Intellgence Questionable)

I was surprised how many 'close calls' the operator had in this video. It was clear how it was going to end.

Not once, but 6 times, pushed it too far trying once I feel.
Still it was kinda interesting to see the waiting and judging for gap.
I've flown over a wind farm, and pulled up to view from in front and above, but kept a reasonable distance.
They are incredible things to see up close.

Reactions: MKurr
This is a shining example of why we the drone community in under such scrutiny. Bald eagles have a hard time flying through windmills, and I cant imagine any drone pilot having skills even close to those of any bird. If a person needs to have a rule that says you cant fly through wind turbines that person should not be flying at all.

There is no FAA reg against flying through windmill. We’ve done windmill inspections and have had drones sucked into the blades do to the 70mph vortex. Those drones were hit by the blades. The drones were obliterated. Not a scratch on the blades. As for damaging the reputation of legit drone pilots that’s the real damage.

Oh this is just dandy. More regulation, more restriction of where to fly. All because some (removed by moderator) cant be bothered to check obsticle clearance before flight. AND then has the cheek to share the obvious at the end of his vid. Christ do me a favour!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why even allow this to be posted in the first place? This should be a non-topic as it pegs the stupid meter. Continuing the thread is just sensationalizing something that makes us responsible pilots look bad.

Reactions: Drgnfli and Haggar
Why even allow this to be posted in the first place? This should be a non-topic as it pegs the stupid meter. Continuing the thread is just sensationalizing something that makes us responsible pilots look bad.

So you are proposing censoring anything that reflects poorly on sUAS?

So you are proposing censoring anything that reflects poorly on sUAS?

When the OP is really a ________ ____ & makes us folks who abide by the rules & use common sense look like destructive ___ ____ who don't give a ****, it makes the entire technology/hobby/career look stupid, careless & destructive. There are enough yoyo's on this site admitting to some really dumb flying without showing a video of someone pushing the limit on purpose & who doesn't give a darn & actually thinks it is cool! Yes! Censor the ___ ___.
IMHO! ! !

When the OP is really a ________ ____ & makes us folks who abide by the rules & use common sense look like destructive ___ ____ who don't give a ****, it makes the entire technology/hobby/career look stupid, careless & destructive. There are enough yoyo's on this site admitting to some really dumb flying without showing a video of someone pushing the limit on purpose & who doesn't give a darn & actually thinks it is cool! Yes! Censor the ___ ___.
IMHO! ! !

Now I'm curious - are you an advocate of censorship in general, or just on this forum?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_